• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Cynthia or Lance?

Lance or Cynthia?

• Lance!

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Cynthia!

Votes: 69 63.3%
  • I like both equally!

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • I dislike them both!

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Cynthia rivals Blue in terms of my favourite Champion in the entirety of Pokemon. She has a cool design, yes, but her team is probably the best and most difficult Championship team to face in battle, which is what tips the balance in her favour. That it's so varied AND powerful is a real feat, which is very impressive in my eyes.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
I love them both, Lance for his insane red hairstyle and Cynthia, 'cause she is gorgeous ( her hair is quite awesome as well) :3

Years
I like Cynthia.
Lance is no match for her.
She have better team and better role in both anime and game.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2012
Cynthia because she was hard for me when i first got the game and i just think her hair is AWESOME!!! Also i like her pokemon better. I think lance's team has many pokemon that can easily be beaten and he wasn't that hard when i first faced him.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
I like Lance for nostalgia purposes but Cynthia is the best champion introduced so far. Her character is so well rounded, her teams are challenging and she's got a stellar design. She's everything I aspire to be as a Pokemon trainer!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I prefer Cynthia, but only slightly. Lance was awesome back in the day and was difficult, but now he's not as big of a deal as he was back then. Cynthia still gives me problems since her teams are well-rounded and insane, and she's a really nice, protective girl who is also really fierce. Chompy is just ridiculous. Whereas Lance has too many Dragonite and less character development. Cynthia got more airtime - Lance helped blow up the Team Rocket machine in Mahogany, Cynthia did even more. Plus she gives you a Togepi which can grow up to be a Togekiss so that alone is awesome.

Back in the days of G/S/C, Lance appearing outside of the Champion's room was something great. Now we expect more. So in the end, it all balances out, and I like both quite a bit - but Cynthia has a slight edge.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Cynthia for me, she is gorgeous, her hair her eyes and everything. She has a really interesting personality, fitting for a champion. Her team was great as well, well rounded and tough to beat. My vote goes to Cynthia!

Years
I like Steven the most.
Lol jokes, Cynthia really is something else. She was the first Champion I actually struggled with in-game. Her Spiritomb ruins at least two of my Pokemon because it has no weaknesses, and Garchomp sweeps through the rest of my team (I'm not so much into Ice types)
Whereas I found Lance's strategy to be more or less "HYPERBEAM ERRYTHANG!" which was repetitive and easily avoided with an easily timed Protect or Fly.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Lance. Cynthia is awesome and strong, but Lance is the original champion. He'll always be the best.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Cynthia, no doubt. I am deeply in love with the Sinnoh region, and since I'm a girl, I'm going with my fellow females on this one. And to be honest, I have never really fought Lance before. I don't like Kanto and Johto that much. Plus, Cynthia reminds me of my mom.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Lance.
I'm sorry, he's the most epic champion, all dragons.

Cynthia is epic as well, for her region, but Dragons being my favorite type, Lance gets my vote.

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
Lance, man. I found him more challenging than Cynthia. I mean, I can beat Cynthia's Pokemon while being 7 levels below if I hit her with strong enough attacks. Especially on the original D/P

But Lance on the other hand...Our levels was close, but his Pokemon were so overwhelming. 3 Dragonite(s) and dat Aerodactyl doesn't make things easy, neither. :l

I like Cynthia's team, tho. It's WAY more diverse than Lance, she train different type of Pokemon as such a champion should do. Gary knows da deal too. LOL

Mentalii

Back
Years
Lance is my favourite champion, so of course I voted for him, the dragon master !
Competitively I has more trouble with Cynthia, my SS's Pokémon being strong against the dragon type, but I still prefer Lance. His look, the type he uses, his personnality (in the manga he's a very interesting character)...

Years
I chose Cynthia because I actually had a challenge when I first played Pearl (I didn't look at any guides online the first time). I also love her jacket :o

Her team really is diverse and harder to overcome (Plus funner to fight!), while Lance, being all mysterious and cape-wearing, pulls out a team full of Hyper Beamers in Pokemon Yellow (which is my favorite fight with him) or Thunder Waving Dragonites in Crystal (another fave) and still ALL THE HYPER BEAMS!!!! I seriously can't tell you how many times I have beat him because he just started out with hyper beam at the beginning of a fight and basically hands me the championship -_-

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
For me its probably Cynthia because she has variety in her team.Even though Lance's dragons are hard to beat i had more trouble with Cynthia.

#isthenumbersign
Years
Lance was actually helpful in beating Team Rocket, and he's got an actual cape. Plus he uses Dragonairs.

Cynthia just talks to people, she does nothing to help you beat Galactic. And she's got a pseudo cape. :/

poopydude

PKMN Master
Years
Lance was actually helpful in beating Team Rocket, and he's got an actual cape. Plus he uses Dragonairs.

Cynthia just talks to people, she does nothing to help you beat Galactic. And she's got a pseudo cape. :/

NO%2BCAPES.jpg

Capes aside, its a close call. I mean in terms of an overall team Cynthia has the advantage but lets be honest here Dragons are Awesome :) Therefore Lance beats her

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2015
I like Cynthia because she's pretty, hard to beat and pure AWSOME!

Back