• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of Namco ★ Club~

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Ah, completely forgot ToS had an animated OVA. How close does the story follow the games? Any major changes? Eternia had a 13 episode anime series, and deviated quite a bit from the game's plot.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
Years
Yup. Gonna have to invest in a PS3 now. :x

I don't think Vesperia has been completely deconfirmed yet, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
It's... uh... kind of derivatives from the story a bit, but still keeps to the actual plot. I mean, it's not an almost completely different story like with Eternia's (which even made an anime-only character, iirc), but it cuts out a loooot of things, and changes a few things pretty drastically as well (like Genis not getting his exphere, shfkds. Drives my sister and I insane).

My favorite episode would have to be the third Tethe'alla one, because they pulled off the battle with Volt so well. ;_;

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Aaah, the 4th Tethe'alla episode comes out soon? I can't wait. n__n I stopped paying attention to (and memorizing) the actual dates because it's depressing. But yay!

I like some parts of the OVA's plot better than the in-game one. Like, the way the OVA handled Regal's story was SO MUCH BETTER than in the game. It actually made me care more, haha. /totally cried

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
do something about those double posts there, Erica. XD

I memorized it because I really want to see Mithos animated. So much.

OMG, yes! I completely agree with you there! The fact that the brought out Regal's story like that was really nice. In the game they touched upon it like what they did with most everyone's backstories (Zelos' only during the Flanoir event), but it was really awesome that they made it more in depth. I don't know if they're going to have time to do that for any others (they kind of did it for Sheena as well, but not as deeply). I would love to see more Four Seraphim back story, or more Genis & Raine back story.

While they made it a bit differently than in the game, I think they pulled the Tethe'alla Arc off much better than the Sylvarant Arc. My favorite part of the Sylvarant arc was honestly when Kratos killed Kvar. The fact that he said the exact quote he does in the game made me smile.

Cherrim

Years
I think the problem I have with Symphonia is that, while it had a lot of good characters, it had too many characters. :( There were 9 party members and it tried to focus on all of them at once but it meant that everyone was overshadowed by everyone else. So you had to do so many playthroughs of the game just to find out everyone's real backstory whereas in other Tales games, you don't have to put in so much work to understand everything (or if you do, it's through sidequests and you can get the _whole_ story by just doing one complete run).

:( Like, with Zelos, you have to specifically choose him at Flanoir just to get his vital background story. When I think back on the game (which I probably played ~3 times--a lot more than most people sadly), it takes me a while to remember what the main events for each character were and that's because it's so hard to get them all. :< And that's not even counting people who weren't in the party like Mithos, Yuan, etc. I'm glad that the animated series is giving some of the ignored characters a bigger chance to shine. n_n;

/still annoyed that they made Kratos' judgment outfit less awesome looking ;_;

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
That's true. I've noticed a few things like that. For example, Genis and Raine didn't really shine until they hit Tethe'alla, when they learned they were half-elves. Sheena didn't really shine until Volt, and so on and so forth.

For the most part, that's the case with both Kratos and Zelos. In fact, the game pretty much forces you to play at least two playthroughs in order to get the whole back story on everything, and for you to see both 'endings', even if there isn't too much of a difference, just no Zelos in one of 'em. I've played the game . . . countless times (5+ probably, orz), and sometimes I still get confused on where to go next, because of all the stories. That would have to be one good thing about the animation even if Genis is still being comic relief bait right now. hopefully that'll change when they meet Mithos. Same goes for Raine.

Nevertheless, Tales of Symphonia is still my favorite game. xD;

I know, right? ;_; They say Zelos' hair is hard to do, but let's face it, they had so much trouble with Kratos' they had to make it less awesome. :(

Speed

Skyward
Years
I wanna give Symphonia another try since I never finished it, but I can't find my First disc, only the second. D:

Speed

Skyward
Years
I'll probably look for it one of these days that I'm not busy, probably Sunday. I need a tales game to hold me off until Graces. XP

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
They didn't mention anything about the release date, did they?

And you said you've only played Phantasia, Symphonia and Symphonia 2, no? So there's quite a bit of titles to try out and keep you occupied in the meantime. :)

Speed

Skyward
Years
No, not yet. all we have is that NA is getting it, but no release date or what console it might be on.

I wanted to try and pick up Abyss eventually, but I'm busy with Persona 4, and I haven't even played that in a few weeks since I've been so busy.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
It'll definitely be for PS3. I'm hoping the release date isn't at the end of this year. :/

lol, Persona 4 can definitely take up a lot your time if you get really into it. Abyss would be a nice place to start though. Most people enjoyed it; I did for the most part. Despite a few problems here and there it was rather fun.

Last edited:

Speed

Skyward
Years
I hope it is, I love the graphics, and they just wouldn't look as good on the Wii.

Well, I maxed out about 110 hours in FES, and I'm already at the 2nd dungeon with 20 hours. I either take my time, or JRPGs are really long. xD

Abyss is 50+ dollars on Amazon though. D: I'll try looking for it on ebay later.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
If it was Abyss that I keep seeing at a Gamestop where I live and not Symphonia, I would honestly ask you where in Florida you live though I highly doubt you live in the same area as me. XD;

Yeah. Abyss is a nice Tales of Game. Though I do think you should try to replay Symphonia and beat it. But, this is because I prefer Symphonia to Abyss, even after thinking I liked Abyss more. Frankly, I was quite wrong.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
For some reason, sealed copies of Abyss go as high as $80. :shocked: I'm not sure it's considered a rare game, but it's probably better to look for copies in various shops in whatever city you live. The online prices fluctuate quite a bit.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
Years
According to Bamco's website, Graces has a designation of TBA for what platform it's going to be on. Ya think it might come out on Wii too?

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Tales of Graces F is the one getting localized, and that was solely for PS3. I don't think they'll localize the original version for the Wii that was supposedly riddled with quite a few bugs.

Cherrim

Years
There IS rumour that they're redoing the Wii version as well in Japan, so there's a chance it could be for that or they could release both versions (doubtful). @_@ But the fact that they haven't bothered saying what platform the game is for is a bit confusing.

Speed

Skyward
Years
If it was Abyss that I keep seeing at a Gamestop where I live and not Symphonia, I would honestly ask you where in Florida you live though I highly doubt you live in the same area as me. XD;

Yeah. Abyss is a nice Tales of Game. Though I do think you should try to replay Symphonia and beat it. But, this is because I prefer Symphonia to Abyss, even after thinking I liked Abyss more. Frankly, I was quite wrong.

I've never seen Abyss at a gamestop though, only Symphonia. Also, I live in South Florida. D:

And I'll find Symphonia first, play through it, then get Abyss.

Back