• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Caves and Tunnels

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
The infamous caves of pokemon have always been quite the trouble to travel through in some cases. Some are big, some are dark, some are big and dark. In Kanto, there was the infamous Rock Tunnel that leads to Lavender Town, in Johto, there was the famous Dark Cave, and the Ice Cave leading to Blackthorn City. In Hoenn, we had trips to the Meteorite Cave, as well as the Marine Tunnels on where we'd have to dive to. In Sinnoh, there was, of course, Mt. Coronet, that is so big that it leads to various places throughout Sinnoh. In the original Black and White, we got to travel to the Chargestone Cave, where electricity was formed, and of course, B2W2, where we got to travel through Volcano tunnels that contained Heatran, and the cave that contained Kyreum.

There were loads more caves thoughout these games, but, the point here is, how do you think caves and tunnels will play out in the region that these new games are based on? Could the tunnels be based on the caves and tunnels around the outskirts of France (the country where it's speculated on where the regions is based on)? For example, the Lascaux is the setting of a complex of caves in southwestern France, famous for its Paleolithic cave paintings. What other sorts of caves and tunnels would you like to see? For example, would you like to see more Ice Caves? More Marine Tunnels? More Caves where Lava flows? Maybe caves where a mountain of treasure lies? How big should these caves be? Could these caves be a representation of legendary pokemon, or other beliefs in the X&Y pokemon world? Could maybe the title legendaries be found at one point in the caves, or perhaps the clue to finding them being there? How often should we travel through caves? Is it possible to have caves in this new region? Feel free to discuss thoughts!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I can see there being multiple caves with cave drawings from ancient people of legendary Pokémon like Sinnoh's lake trio had in DPPt, however more extensive than just one drawing in a small cave like shrine in a town. Hope they make them complex as it's fun to get lost (I remember getting lost in all those caves mentioned ).

Jason Wolf

The Chronicler
Years
I'll bullet my thoughts at the end.

Well I'd hope they overhaul caves a bit. Firstly make them a bit like deserts or the 5th gen (B/W) victory road with rough terrain where pokemon are. This makes caves a bit less annoying with the constant pokemon especially since we always get such a limited number of pokemon there. often caves have about 4-5 pokemon just on land. these tend to be the zubat, the geodude, the machop, etc. then the caves after it have golbat, graveler, machoke, etc. It'd be nice to see more pokemon in caves. Also have some "dark grass" area for caves where double battles and stronger pokemon are. probably using mud would be a good way to do this.

Also more interesting sorts of caves. Chargestone was a great idea because it gave us a good number of electric types who weren't ground or rock types. I'd love to see another volcano, but the catacombs would be great along with a forest cave with lots of vines and stuff. I want caves to be more then just rocks.

Also make more caves off of routes. I never really liked having to go through caves to get places, but I wouldn't get rid of that part of the game. I'd rather have caves that go to places not needed for the story. So I go through a cave and come out in a small town which maybe has something I can use like a berry farm, but its not required to get the badges and follow the story. Also don't use this to cut off content. When it comes to post game I want the content to be kept off by something reasonable not just "oh we'll fix this bridge soon as you beat the elite four" or "we'll finish digging as soon as you beat the pokemon league".

1. Have certain areas to catch pokemon not the entire cave.
2. add "dark grass" to caves for double battles and stronger pokemon.
3. have more variety in the caves not just the same pokemon and their evolutions.

4. have interesting sorts of caves instead of just rocky tunnels.
5. have the catacombs as a location.

6. non-story related caves.
7. tunnels to misc towns or locations with useful, but not needed thing.
8. don't use caves as a way to cut off the post-game from the pre-game. (I suggest the battle frontier style where you can go because you proved you are strong).

Besides all that I do adore the caves when it comes to the pokemon games as they tend to have some of my favorite pokemon, but they are such a pain.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
Years
I would like to see something along the lines of a manmade underwater cave, like a ship that was sunk to make a coral reef that you can wander through. I imagine it would look incredible in 3D.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
Years
I personally love caves/tunnels and would love to see some overly complicated ones in Gen VI. Caves that can take plenty of exploration with tonnes of hidden items are usually my favourites. I can't wait to see how Game Freak utilise the new graphical capabilities of the 3DS with the caves.

gold/silverFTW

Ecruteak Champion
Years
What about a cave with a settlement inside it? I've seen places like that in many rpgs before. Like people who worship a legendary pokemon deeper inside.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What about a cave with a settlement inside it? I've seen places like that in many rpgs before. Like people who worship a legendary pokemon deeper inside.

If that were to happen, what if it's like... cave-man-eque? Like as in these people have been too afraid to leave the cave due to a scary mon and therefore are secluded from society?

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
What I do think... is that there should be an icy cave and a lava cave, depending on which version you're playing, somewhat like it was with Reversal Mountain in B2/W2.

But not to also mention that I would actually like to see some mossy covered caves as well that are exposed to sunlight, ones that are located inside forests. Or what about a cave where you can only surf and dive in? That would be interesting.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Last icy cave we had was in HgSs or Hoenn's Shoal cave's basement if one doestn't include remakes... so it'll be nice to have another one, this time one that's nearly covered completely in ice, it'll be the ultimate puzzle imo.

Yes a moss covered cave, it'll work with the double battles in caves someone mentioned earlier on.

More sea caves would be nice, and for a sky cave...maybe we can have a series of caves very high up, that are interconnected but we need to pass by bridges first to get to the other cave. Perhaps the evil team can block the last one.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
You know, I was wondering about possible cave paintings and drawings myself, in a given cave. Since art might be a possible theme here... maybe that can be possible?

Gary0ak

TPP ROM Hacker
Years
Since first Gen Pokemon return in X and Y...
zubat.jpg

Anyways, I think they can add more Pokemon in caves so we don't get
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"
"A WILD ZUBAT APPEARED!"

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What I do think... is that there should be an icy cave and a lava cave, depending on which version you're playing, somewhat like it was with Reversal Mountain in B2/W2.

But not to also mention that I would actually like to see some mossy covered caves as well that are exposed to sunlight, ones that are located inside forests. Or what about a cave where you can only surf and dive in? That would be interesting.

Icy cave would be fun if we had another puzzle like back in Johto days. Just as long as they have a memorable challenge and aren't easy like the puzzles on the acro bike etc like in Hoenn. ;;

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Mountains

Each generation of games has had at least one mountain for the players to explore, whether it was a large part of the story line (Like Mt. Pyre in Hoenn or Mt. Coronet in Sinnoh), a dungeon to get through as a challenge for the players (Like Mt. Moon in Kanto or Twist Mountain in Unova), or as an optional sidequest (such as Mt. Mortar and Mt. Silver in Johto, or Stark Mountain in Sinnoh). Do you think there will be a mountain(s) for us to explore this generation? Do you think it will be a story-driven factor of the game, an obstacle, or a side-quest for us to explore?

I'm expecting a mountain to act as more of a dungeon that we have to get through this time. Generation 4 already had the climax of the story happen at the peak of Mt. Coronet, so I don't really think that idea would happen again as a climax of the story. I could see it having a more minor role potentially, but I'm not expecting it.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Caves, Mountains, Tunnels. What's the difference? They're all terribly annoying to go through, especially the long ones with endless Zubats, Woobats, Geodudes, or Boldore.

Ps. Merged your thread on mountains here, since they all go hand-in-hand with one another.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Would you be happier if the encounter rates for caves and tunnels were just a bit lower? I mean, concerning the opening graphics of the new wild encounters, caves can be a bit frustrating to go through. @__@

Years
If it is based on France they should make a huge complex cave system like the catacombs but make it more interesting than the boring caves of past generation. Maybe combine it with the various "dead pokemon towers" of past generation if it is based on the catacombs and make it possible to catch several rock, ground, ghost, dark, fighting and steel pokemon there. It would be more diverse, eerier in 3D and hopefully more fun that some of the more annoying caves. Also, I hate flash, give me a torch instead.

Back