• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playstation 4 - Speculation

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
250px-PlayStation_4_logo.svg.png

Following Sony's press conference on February 20, 2013, the "Playstation 4" was confirmed to be the successor to the Playstation 3. The actual console design was not revealed at the press conference, but, some technical specifications about the console have been announced.

The following is simply information gathered about the Playstation 4 from various websites; mostly wiki:

The Console

The PlayStation 4 will utilize a semi-custom accelerated processing unit (APU) developed by AMD in coordination with Sony. Its APU will be a single-chip solution that combines a CPU and GPU, as well as other components such as a memory controller and video decoder. The central processing unit (CPU) consists of eight x86-64 cores based on the upcoming Jaguar CPU architecture from AMD. The graphics processing unit (GPU) consists of 18 compute units to produce a theoretical peak performance of 1.84 TFLOPS. This processing power can be used for graphics, physics simulation, or a combination of the two. Eurogamer calls the graphics technology in the PS4 "impressive" and an improvement from the difficulties developers experienced on the PlayStation 3. The console also includes a secondary custom chip which handles tasks associated with downloading, uploading, and social gameplay.These tasks can be handled seamlessly in the background during gameplay or while the system is in sleep mode.

The PS4 will contain 8 GB of GDDR5 unified system memory with a maximum bandwidth of 176 GB/s. This is 16 times the amount found in the PS3, and is expected to give the console considerable longevity. The unified memory architecture allows the CPU and GPU to access a consolidated memory, removing the need for separate, dedicated memory pools. The non-unified memory architecture of the PS3 was reportedly problematic.

The read-only optical drive will read Blu-ray discs at 6x CAV for a maximum read speed of 27 MB/s – a significant upgrade from the PS3's 2x speeds that were capped at 9MB/s. Early reports indicate that the Blu-ray Disc drive will not be capable of reading quad-layer 100 GB discs, a new Blu-ray Disc technology designed to support 4K resolution. Although the console will support photos and videos at 4K resolution, the system is not expected to be able to render games beyond 1080p.A storage drive will also be included, though Sony has not announced the size or type.

The PlayStation 4 will feature 802.11 b/g/n wireless network connectivity, Ethernet, Bluetooth 2.1, and an unspecified number of USB 3.0 ports. An auxiliary port will also be included for connection to the PlayStation 4 Eye, a motion detection digital camera device first introduced on the PS3. A mono headset, which can be plugged into the DualShock 4, will come bundled with the system.Output options include HDMI, analog audio/video, and optical S/PDIF.

The Controller

The DualShock 4 will be the PlayStation 4's main controller. Similar to the DualShock 3, it will connect to the console via Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. The DualShock 3, however, will not be compatible with PS4. The DualShock 4 will be equipped with several new features, including a built-in two-point capacitative touch pad on the front of the controller, which can be clicked. The controller will support motion detection via a three-axis gyroscope and three-axis accelerometer and improved vibration. It will include a non-removable, rechargeable lithium-ion battery tentatively capable of storing 1000 mAh. The tentative design weighs 210 g (7.4 oz), has dimensions of 162 × 52 × 98 mm (6.4 × 2.0 × 3.9 in), and has a rubber or etched plastic backing to enhance grip.[28][30] The design shown at the PlayStation 4 reveal event was "near final".However, the DualShock 4 will not be demoed until around E3 2013.
DualShock 4

The controller will feature several output connectors. Its stereo jack (3.5 mm TRS connector) will support the connection of a headset to allow a user to speak and hear audio simultaneously. A micro USB port, an extension port, and a mono speaker will also be included. The controller can be charged via microUSB, a dedicated charging station, or the console (even when the console is off).

The DualShock 4 will feature the following buttons: PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, directional buttons, action buttons (triangle, circle, cross, square), shoulder buttons (R1/L1), triggers (R2/L2), analog stick click buttons (L3/R3) and a touch pad click button. These mark several changes from the DualShock 3 and other previous PlayStation controllers. The START and SELECT buttons have been merged into a single OPTIONS button. A dedicated SHARE button will allow players to upload video from their gameplay experiences.The joysticks and triggers have been redesigned based on developer input.The joysticks now will feature a concave surface, similar to that of the Xbox 360 controller.

The DualShock 4 will also feature a light bar that can display different colors. The colors will help identify players and alert them with critical messages such as low health. It also will interact with a camera attachment that perceives movement and depth by using the controller's light bar. It is based on the existing technology used in the PlayStation Move. Existing PlayStation Move controllers will be supported on the PS4.

This is a picture of the 'DualShock 4':
Spoiler:

Of course, this thread's main purpose is to speculate all about this upcoming Playstation 4. Do you plan on getting the Playstation 4? Is there specific features that you like/dislike about the Playstation 4?

Feel free to give any opinion/thought about the PS4 here. ^^

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
May I just say - Oh god, the controller, as messed up as it is, is going the right direction. I'm still going to miss that Select button u_u Also yes, bundled headset!

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
Years
This looks pretty darn amazing, y'know.

The console itself seems amazing in comparison to the PS3 - as is evident with the CPU and GPU. To be honest though, the graphics still worry me, regardless of the obvious improvement :/
Ok, so nothing really new here, mostly just improvements on where the PS3 fell short.

The controller, dear god. I fear that the sheer amount of additions will ruin this controller.
However, I must admit that I'm excited by the prospect of a touch-pad, and the feature for sharing gameplay is truly amazing, y'know.

Seeing as I'm a CoD fan, the light bar will surely come in handy, haha {XD}

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Open the door
Get on the floor
$400 for the PS4

I'm rather excited for it, to be honest. That controller is pretty nice and I like the redesigned joysticks, but it'll be interesting to see how developers utilize the features such as the touch pad, light bar, and motion sensor. The motion sensor is my biggest worry because I really didn't like it much in the PS3 controllers. It was rarely used and it wasn't too great when it was.

The actual console is shaping up to be pretty good. I was surprised by the ability to play portions of a game that you're downloading as you're downloading it. Patience is a virtue, but screw patience.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
All ready Pre ordered my ps4. Even if the places in england have it currently priced at 599.99. I know the price will drop.

I'm still undecided on the new controller. I am so used to the current one as we have had it for so long. Its like when i swap from playing my ps3 to playing on my xbox. Its wierd and takes a while to adjust. Even when I move from playing Block ops 2 on ps3 to xbox even though its the same game its still weird. Will say the lights on the controller and the share function is great for me. Always enjoy sharing things like call of duty gameplay when I do some good games.

Not really going to judge the console as a whole yet as I haven't looked much into it. realy should do some research on the features it has to offer.

Really hoping they don't add anything for pre owned games. That right now is the thing I am looking at the most. If they add something to stop pre owned games i will more than likely cancel my pre order as I mainly buy pre owned games.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
If you guys haven't seen it yet, here's a picture of the actual console:

PS4%20with%20controller-580-90.jpg

Annnd yeah, it's going to cost $399. I'll update the OP of it! But yeah, it is shaping up! I believe it's only $50 above the Wii U, so, it's not too hard to buy.

Back