• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Idea] Project Freedom

Years
This is a game where you're able to roam across a region, battling and training your Pokémon how you want, spending time catching all 600 monsters or perhaps completing quests and tasks in the many towns and cities you'll discover. If you've ever played Oblivion, that's what we're aiming for: you can be a Nondrick or a Champion but there's no obligation to be either. Welcome to Freedom.

The Region
The region is based on the island of Luzon in the Philippines. It's a large, varied island, much like Hoenn, and has many towns and cities full of quests.

Outline.png

The Plot
The Triad are a band of criminals that operate in regions in and around Luzon. Its leader is getting old and is planning to leave and retire to spend time with his family. However, this creates a power vacuum and several groups of thieves within the Triad form and compete for power. Will you take sides? Can you help to destroy it entirely? Time will tell.

Features
We're building the game using a custom engine made in Unity 3D by our programmer Christopher. It will be in a similar style to Black and White, with pseudo-3D overworlds.

There's no obligation to complete the Triads quest whatsoever. In fact, you don't even have to beat the Elite 4. If you want to spend time travelling and completing the Pokedex without ever setting foot inside a gym, that's fine. It's an open world in every sense. Quests are almost always optional, so you can choose how you want to play.

There is a new battle mechanic called "Senses" which replaces accuracy with five different variables: sight, sound, smell, touch and aura. Each Pokemon has a different combination of perceptions, which can make some moves more accurate and some barely hit at all. For instance, Uproar will be most effective against Pokemon with acute hearing like Exploud, while Flash will have no effect on a blind Pokemon like Zubat.

If you'd like more details just shoot me a PM.

I will add more information soon.

Are you looking for members?
We're looking for anyone who's committed, smart and, preferably, bored enough to spend time discussing ideas and working on the game. We're obviously interested in people with mapping or spriting talents, but if you don't have them and are willing to learn, we'd be more than happy to give you a shot. Timezones aren't too important, so long as you're available on MSN at some point in the day.

To apply, just send me a PM or add my MSN address: niknaks_home at hotmail.co.uk
You could even join the forum linked in my signature and contact me there if you'd prefer.

GliscorFan08

Champion Of Kanto
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 26, 2019
I like the senses feature, but such feature wouldn't implement a lot of work?

Anyways, i wish you luck :)

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Woow, that looks amazing NikNaks!

Just add a lil' terrain variety (mountains and such) and it'll look perfect!

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Great work as usual NikNaks. I like the concept, as I've told you already. Its just a matter of having a team that'll be able to be capable and commit enough to pull it off. Good luck.

Isom

Kari Byron is still my lady.
Years
I really like the senses idea, it seems like it could add more strategy and challenges to the Pokemon experience. I'd really like to see this flourish into something and not just die out like all the others that come through here.

Years
I've had a lot of good responses, so thank you! I hope to have some more content next week or at the weekend, but in the meantime, I'd love to hear from anyone who has ideas for quests, sidequests or characters. Thanks!

Years
Here's some information on classes.

"Project Freedom" can be played like any other fangame; there are still gyms to battle, an evil team to thwart and Pokémon to catch. However, it's different in the fact that you don't have to do any of that. If you really want, you can become a co-ordinator. Or a breeder. Or a ranger. It's up to you! You can choose the kinds of quests you want to do, and you score points towards your character based on the ones you do. For instance, you might score some points towards your Ranger total for rescuing a lost Pokémon, and you might score Ranger and Trainer points for defeating an evil businessman who wants to cut down a forest. Something along those lines.

There are six different classes: Trainer, Breeder, Ranger, Co-ordinator, Collector and Explorer.

Trainers battle Pokémon, challenge gyms and eventually, if they do well enough, become a Pokémon Master. You score points towards this by battling trainers. 'Nuff said.

Breeders raise Pokémon. You score points by levelling up your Pokémon, hatching eggs and teaching baby Pokémon simple attacks.

Rangers protect Pokémon and their habitats. You might score points by rescuing lost Pokes, saving them from cruel trainers, or defeating people who are damaging the environment.

Co-ordinators compete in contests. You'd score points here by feeding Pokéblocks, winning contests and maybe making your Pokémon become famous.

Collectors catch Pokémon and aim to complete their Pokédex. You might score points by trading, capturing or seeing rare Pokémon.

Explorers travel across the land, looking inside caves and forests and discovering new areas. You could score points by discovering areas that aren't marked on the map, for instance.

Now, where I'd like help is writing quests for each of these classes. Ideally, we'd have twenty or so quests for each so that you can level up your character in a variety of ways.

I'm also looking for help writing the main quest-line, which involves the evil team - The Triad. We're hoping to have it human and tangible, not at all like the world-destroying plots of Hoenn or Sinnoh, and less bizarre than genetic modification. We've pencilled in a plot about a struggle for power at the top end, which is workable, but any ideas are welcome.

And, yes. Characters. The more believable characters we have at our disposal, the easier it'll be to create the world. Anyone who's played Oblivion will know about the hundreds of NPCs that inhabit the world, each with their own stories and opinions, so if we could get maybe 30 or so characters to insert and play with, that'd be fantastic.

Feel free to ask questions.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Is there going to be an evil-type class, instead of all good-types? One of the basic tenets of an open-world system is having the ability to be either bad or good, and something that a lot of people would be interested in. Maybe a Triad Grunt, that could work its way up by doing quests for various sketchy people in the region - defeating good guys, stealing Pokemon, catching them for nefarious uses, etc.

Years
Hey, I like that idea a lot. Like the Dark Brotherhood, even. Sorry, tenets made me think immediately of the Five. Eugh.

Could you maybe be a thief, too? Interesting. o:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
If you really wanted to flesh it out, maybe have two types of classes, the evil type and the good type. The good types would be the ones you've already mentioned, Breeder, Trainer, etc. The evil types could have some that are just renamed but the same idea (Collector could be Pokemon Thief, Explorer could be Triad Scout), and then have Trainer, the most basic good class, replaced by some kind of ladder-climbing Triad Grunt that can advance through the plot on the other side, and rise in the ranks to become the new leader.

I had to google 'Dark Brotherhood' ^^; All I think of when I hear that is Call of Cthulhu and the Brotherhood of the Black Pharaoh, lol. Yay cultists!

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
im a little bit LTTP, but very cool idea. The way pokemon is laid out makes it perfect for an open world style game.

ill be keeping an eye on this.

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2011
Ei, NikNaks, are you Filipino?

Kasi, astig naman kung Pilipino ka. Ba't mo nga pala binase sa Pilipinas ung mga mapa mo?

Oh, and I did NOT use Google Translate or any other translator.

Last edited:

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012
Ei, NikNaks, are you Filipino?

Kasi, astig naman kung Pilipino ka. Ba't mo nga pala binase sa Pilipinas ung mga mapa mo?

Oh, and I did NOT use Google Translate or any other translator.

I believe he's English XD.

Years
No, I'm not Filipino (Location: England ?), but to answer your question, I picked it because it seemed interesting geographically, and has the option of expanding south into a more island-based adventure if we wanted.

----

We are still working on this, albeit slowly because it's exam season again, but if anyone is interested, feel free to contact me.

Renii

Se(Renii)ty
Years
I like this project a lot. The senses feature sounds exciting. And the story... nvm ^^'

This project seems a bit too complicated and ambitious. If you guys can pull it off, that's great.

I know you wanted to create a Pokemon game in Unity since a long time!

I am just wondering, why are you using Unity3D? Just to get that pseudo-3D feeling? Sounds like too much work for a very simple feature.

Years
I like this project a lot. The senses feature sounds exciting. And the story... nvm ^^'

This project seems a bit too complicated and ambitious. If you guys can pull it off, that's great.

I know you wanted to create a Pokemon game in Unity since a long time!

I am just wondering, why are you using Unity3D? Just to get that pseudo-3D feeling? Sounds like too much work for a very simple feature.
For me, Unity offers a lot more freedom (lol) to build an engine from the ground up. Essentials is excellent, but suffers from lag issues and there are several workarounds for things graphically because of how you have to follow the default game setup. With a custom engine, all these things would be cleaner and work faster, hopefully.

Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2011
I can help! I'm pretty good at drawing Fakemon so all you would have to do is give me a little layout (type, theme, reference material) and I'd be able to belt out a decent poke :3 in return howevr I demand $100,000,000,000.8.... But I'll settle for a littly help on my game ;j

Back