• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
This reminds me of a time when I trained a Zubat during a FireRed playthrough a couple years ago. I caught it early in Mt. Moon expecting to get a Crobat later on. Once I reached Celadon City and it went to evolve from Golbat into Crobat, it automatically cancelled because I didn't have the National Dex (which I completely forgot about) -_- "I trained this Zubat for nothing!"

What does everyone think about the National Dex limitations from FireRed and LeafGreen? Or the lack of limitations from HeartGold and SoulSilver?

Even though it made FRLG more relative to their predecessors, I really disliked the evolution cancel. Fortunately only a small amount of Pokémon were affected by it but they were some of my favorite Pokémon (Politoed, Scizor, Steelix, Crobat, Kingdra, Slowking) ;_;

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
You mean that in FR/LG you couldn't evolve Kanto pokémon into Johto evolutions? Hm. I don't think I ever ran into that since I didn't try to use those particular pokémon. But if that's what you mean, I don't like that they did that :/ I get that they wanted to make FR/LG an "exact" copy of the first games where there only was 151 pokémon, but they could have made it more modern. If a species exists, it exists, would make the game more enjoyable with more of them.

They changed canon some in HG/SS. Instead of replaying the exact story from G/S, they changed the egg thing in the beginning and the day care thingy and such. Pretending that everyone already knew that pokémon laid eggs, as opposed to the original games. Idk if I liked that or not.

Wobbu

Years
You mean that in FR/LG you couldn't evolve Kanto pokémon into Johto evolutions? Hm. I don't think I ever ran into that since I didn't try to use those particular pokémon. But if that's what you mean, I don't like that they did that :/ I get that they wanted to make FR/LG an "exact" copy of the first games where there only was 151 pokémon, but they could have made it more modern. If a species exists, it exists, would make the game more enjoyable with more of them.

Yup, it would take you to the "What? ___ is evolving!" screen, and right before it finishes evolving it would cancel and say "...?". such a tease. It's like if they were willing to add the Sevii Isles into the games, would it have killed them to add in the Johto evolutions? It's weird when a Pokémon stops evolving for no reason whatsoever. Perhaps if Oak or someone explained why they couldn't evolve, it wouldn't have been as weird.

They changed canon some in HG/SS. Instead of replaying the exact story from G/S, they changed the egg thing in the beginning and the day care thingy and such. Pretending that everyone already knew that pokémon laid eggs, as opposed to the original games. Idk if I liked that or not.

The games are remakes but a little variation here and there is refreshing. For the most part, though, the games are pretty similar to their predecessors. I'm glad that the Rocket Executives were given actual names.

Years
What does everyone think about the National Dex limitations from FireRed and LeafGreen? Or the lack of limitations from HeartGold and SoulSilver?

I'd never used a Crobat in G/S/C, so I made it my mission to use one in FireRed. Don't much care for either Zubat or Golbat, but I powered through only to be trolled by the game and not allowing my Golbat to evolve. I basically gave up on it right then and there, and didn't bother training one again until I played HeartGold.

I would've been much happier if the game flat-out didn't acknowledge the evolution until after you get the National Dex, rather than teasing us like that. Or even just not have it appear in the Pokedex, much like what happens if you get a post-National Dex Pokemon through a trade in current games before finishing the main story.

Wobbu

Years
I would've been much happier if the game flat-out didn't acknowledge the evolution until after you get the National Dex, rather than teasing us like that. Or even just not have it appear in the Pokedex, much like what happens if you get a post-National Dex Pokemon through a trade in current games before finishing the main story.

What's worse is that it took like three evolution cancels until I realized what was going on. But if none of the evolution process didn't happen at all, I would have probably trained my Golbat to the 90s and still anticipated a Crobat :\ Not having the Pokédex acknowledge the Pokémon is the best way to go imo. I'm really glad that it was implemented into the later games. But what's the purpose of a National Dex if you can still catch 'em all without it? Maybe you wouldn't be able to access their Pokédex text, footprint, and cry waveform?

Twisted Cuteness

Always a team
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Apr 24, 2016
I never bothered with the national dex or anything. I tried really hard to complete it in SS, but then kinda lost interest and played around with the pokewalker

bobandbill

one more time
Years
One of the most annoying things ever about FRLG. Hey, we made the Zubat line near useless to bother with during gameplay until you beat the league! =D Uhhhh... That and it didn't make any sense, both within the game and from the view of the game makers. I don't understand why you'd restrict people to the same Pokémon in the original games - for those that don't want Crobat, they'll be able to just cancel the evolution themselves.

So glad that HGSS went the other way and let you evolve and trade whatever from almost the very beginning.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Speaking of FR/LG, did you guys feel like the Sevii islands added a lot to the game? Overall, in terms of how much you enjoyed the game.

Wobbu

Years
They were a really good addition IMO. They added post game content and also made a few Johto Pokémon available. The Sevii Isles theme (the remix of Route 42's theme) is one of my favorite tracks from FRLG. They didn't add a whole lot of extra content because you could zip through all of the islands within a couple hours. However there are a lot of things to do that aren't necessary but add a lot of extra playing time like exploring the Tanoby Ruins, talking to all the NPCs, and catching all the available Johto Pokémon. I consider them the Orange Islands' counterpart.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Yeah, I think they should make some kind of spinoff based off the Orange Islands :3 Maybe something similar to Colosseum or Rangers... Only with trainers.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I loved Sevii Isles. Back when I still had FireRed, I used to spend hours there roaming around, trying to find out if there are some hidden secrets or something. xD Love it if they'd made a return in some future Pokémon game... perhaps they could make a spin-off based off them?

Wobbu

Years
I loved Sevii Isles. Back when I still had FireRed, I used to spend hours there roaming around, trying to find out if there are some hidden secrets or something. xD Love it if they'd made a return in some future Pokémon game... perhaps they could make a spin-off based off them?

Speaking of hidden secrets:

Bulbapedia said:
it is possible for the Altering Cave's wild Pokémon to be altered by using Mystery Gift at a Wonder Spot hosted by Nintendo. Despite this, no country has ever held an event to make use of this hidden feature.

Apparently Nintendo didn't even know about Altering Cave's secret -_-

Not sure how a spin-off would work. I could see a main game based in the Sevii Isles because they already appeared in a main game but Gamefreak isn't about that spin-off life. Orange Islands are anime exclusive so I don't think we'll see them in a game :\

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Nah, Orange Islands will never appear in a game, it's doomed to being a location used for filler between two early anime seasons.
Apparently Nintendo didn't even know about Altering Cave's secret -_-
I think it could have been changed by the e-reader, a product that only came out in Japan? Anyways, I think it's more likely that it was known but nothing ever came of it, is all. Take the Azure Flute for instance, an item programmed into DPPt to let you catch Arceus. Never was released though - we just got Arceus as an event.

Bucking the trend and saying I didn't really like Sevii islands much. Sure, it was nice to explore more places, but they weren't very fulfilling nor was there much to do after the sidequests there. The tower there was kinda boring too and not much of a reward for beating it.

But at least there was the Chansey dance?

Wobbu

Years
I think it could have been changed by the e-reader, a product that only came out in Japan? Anyways, I think it's more likely that it was known but nothing ever came of it, is all. Take the Azure Flute for instance, an item programmed into DPPt to let you catch Arceus. Never was released though - we just got Arceus as an event.

The e-Reader was released outside of Japan but it was quickly cancelled in Europe soon after release and cancelled in NA in 2004 due to lack of popularity. I remember my mom buying me a lot of e-Reader cards (not TCG) way back then but I didn't have an e-Reader haha. I think they're still lying around somewhere in my old toy box :P

[LINK] The e-Reader and Pokémon.

It makes you wonder two things: why wasn't the Azure Flute ever distributed and why was it even in the game in the first place? I'm sure Gamefreak didn't anticipate the lack of distribution but you'd think that they would've tried to influence Nintendo.

Bucking the trend and saying I didn't really like Sevii islands much. Sure, it was nice to explore more places, but they weren't very fulfilling nor was there much to do after the sidequests there. The tower there was kinda boring too and not much of a reward for beating it.

I view the Sevii Isles like I view B2/W2. I can't complain because there isn't anything negatives to them besides taking more time from your life. They are there for extra content and something's better than nothing. That tower though... Even to this day I still haven't bothered with it haha.

Years
I always felt that the Sevii Islands were a nice addition to FireRed/LeafGreen, but that's just because the rest of the game was almost a carbon copy of the original, so it needed something to spice things up a bit. And as far as the Trainer Tower was concerned on Seven Island, I didn't really care for it, especially since the prizes weren't all that great. I'm pretty sure I remember beating the Double Battle mode, but just couldn't be bothered to go back and finish the other ones. I do have to say I liked Sevault Canyon near the house where you could do the Chansey Dance, as that was a great place to train your Pokemon (just thinking about it makes me miss the Vs. Seeker so much...)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
The Sevii Islands were great! It really added a lot to the games. One of my favorite things in Pokemon games is exploring, and there was a lot to explore in the Sevii Islands. What was up with the Altering Cave though? I could never figure out what to do there. Or the Pattern Bush, for that matter...

Btw, I've been seeing a bunch of people on the PSS in X and Y excitedly saying that Hoenn remakes are confirmed. Can anyone confirm this, or is it just a rumor??

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm pretty sure it's just a rumor, haha. If it were actually true, you'd see it break through all major Pokémon news sites, like Bulbanews and Serebii. They've just released X and Y, so it's going to take a while for them to announce another main series title, I feel. d:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
Well, Hoenn mods the X/Y section, so... ;p

Can't be confirmed yet, from what I've understood.

How about those new pokemon though? A legendary trio or something, and also Mega Latios.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Oh, right, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion. :o Out of the three, my favorite would probably have to be Volcanion. Such a fierce-looking beast, haha. Diancie would be the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back