• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Elitism - The best versus the rest

Years
Should society be lead by the best? Should society be composed of the best?

If everybody in the world became suddenly virtuous overnight, would that be like the society of the best as we envision it? Would such a state be desirable? Should it be pursued?

Years
I'm surprised that no one has said anything on this topic as I find it interesting.

A short answer to your questions: No.

The reason I say no to your questions (all of them) is that everyone has a different version of 'Best'. What you think is best is different than what I think is best.

The people I believe would be 'best' to lead/compose the world/pursue is freethinking individuals who has no religious affiliation and are able to give all humans the same rights/rules. They would also have to lead with some leniency but still uphold the law.

I'm sure there are others who would want something like this since I didn't go into detail but once that had been fleshed out there will be a quick change in opinion.

Just a quick afterthought but the second question (Should society be composed of the best) implies that no other person will do. I imagine it as something like mass genocide since they're trying to create the 'best' people based on certain criteria. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it like that but that automatically comes to mind.

Melody

Banned
Years
I think elitism is a large part of what is wrong with our society today. Unfortunately the other options are limited as well, and achieving a proper balance is difficult. Sometimes the tyranny of the many can be more cruel than the tyranny of the few. The converse is also true, and an ideal and stable balance of power has not yet been contrived or found.

Years
I dunno. I don't really care for the kind of anti-intellectualism that comes as a backlash to perceived or real elitism. I don't really have a problem per se with wanting "the best" in a lot of areas of society. We really should have the best scientists and engineers and teachers and so on, right? And I'd really like to see our leaders be the most virtuous and intelligent among us, but it makes some people go "Boo! Elitist! I'm voting for Sarah Palin."

But yeah, I think we should all strive to be better than we are. I'm not saying I think we're all horrible people who should feel bad that we're not perfect, but nobody is perfect and there's nothing bad about trying to better yourself even if you're already a good person.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I'm surprised that no one has said anything on this topic as I find it interesting.

A short answer to your questions: No.

The reason I say no to your questions (all of them) is that everyone has a different version of 'Best'. What you think is best is different than what I think is best.

The people I believe would be 'best' to lead/compose the world/pursue is freethinking individuals who has no religious affiliation and are able to give all humans the same rights/rules. They would also have to lead with some leniency but still uphold the law.

I'm sure there are others who would want something like this since I didn't go into detail but once that had been fleshed out there will be a quick change in opinion.

Just a quick afterthought but the second question (Should society be composed of the best) implies that no other person will do. I imagine it as something like mass genocide since they're trying to create the 'best' people based on certain criteria. I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it like that but that automatically comes to mind.
You seem to be implying that "best" is relativistic. I think "vague" would be a better term. Yes, "best at what" applies, but the idea that there is no objective way to determine who would be better at leading (which is what you seem to be saying) is absurd. Maybe I misunderstood.

Years
If the "best" is hard to define, then what about a society without the "worst"? And while one may say that's equally hard to define, well, it certainly is referred to much more often in speech.

Does there exist in your world view certain undesirable peoples? Whether it those who don't fit will in society, those not engaged enough in society, those engaged in ways counter to society's interests? I'm trying to leave this vague to let you guys do the exploring.

And also, if there had to be a class of the "best", what should that criteria be? Wisdom? Compassion? Courage? Fame/renown?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
If the "best" is hard to define, then what about a society without the "worst"? And while one may say that's equally hard to define, well, it certainly is referred to much more often in speech.

Does there exist in your world view certain undesirable peoples? Whether it those who don't fit will in society, those not engaged enough in society, those engaged in ways counter to society's interests? I'm trying to leave this vague to let you guys do the exploring.

And also, if there had to be a class of the "best", what should that criteria be? Wisdom? Compassion? Courage? Fame/renown?
Sometimes, but Gandhi had some things to say about separating bad from good. Mostly that it would have to be violent, and he was opposed to that. I think I agree.

If it could be done without violence? I don't know. Maybe. I think we need all sorts, though. I think having discussion about pretty much every topic is a good thing, though. It's good to be questioned on things.

Back