• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modifying Player Outfits?

Sam24

Sam24
Years
Hi (wow it's been ages since I've done a post.),

So I've heard in the new Pokémon essentials (12), you can modify the character to change his/her outfit. I've tried to do so but I don't exactly know what to do or where to go. I've done everything I could think of doing but I'm not getting anywhere.
I even went to the Wiki. But I sadly couldn't make heads or tails of the information the website gave me.
I just need someone to guide me in the right direction. If they can.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
It's Essentials v13 that adds outfits.

They're basically Pokémon forms but for the player. The same file-naming conventions apply (i.e. an underscore followed by a number). The outfit number is $Trainer.outfit. Easy to change.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
What sort of script would you use to make an item that changes the outfit?
ie, pbchangeplayer(#) would change the player to the #, how would you do the same for the outfit?

Maruno

Years
It's entirely up to you. The only part that's required is the line $Trainer.outfit=42 somewhere in it (where the number is to be determined by some means). I'm not going to be your imagination for you.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
It have to be named.
Code:
trchar000_2

Sam24

Sam24
Years
-Update-
Wow, thanks from everyone who posted in. I've started to get somewhere now with my work thanks to you!

Venom12: You definitely helped with the info you gave me. I'm able to now change the over-world sprite. But that's only if I use the debug and it seems to only work for that sprite only, but I still really appreciate it.

Maruno: Yeah....I actually made a mistake when I said version 12, but still, the point is that I have the new version. Also I don't understand what $Trainer.outfit=42 is. I read on the wiki that it was "in the variable $Trainer.outfit" but I don't understand is where it is because I checked all the variables by going into control variable and it wasn't there. Also I'm no scripting expert, so when you say "It's entirely up to you" as in I have to make the script myself I may have some problems there.

Saving Raven: My idea wasn't to put the costume change in the hands of one simple item, instead I was thinking of trying to make this closet room where if you achieve a certain event in the game you unlock a costume that you can go and wear at anytime. That was what I was thinking of when I heard of this costume idea.

I've been using Pokémon Essentials and RPG Maker XP for a while now, but a lot of the time I don't even know what I'm doing, so most of the things I may say here is probably just staring me right in the face, I'm just not looking in the right direction.
Once again thanks for the help.:)

Maruno

Years
$Trainer is an instance of the class PokeBattle_Trainer. It contains a number of variables, which are various properties of the player. For example $Trainer.money is how much money the player has, $Trainer.seen is an array of which species the player has seen (for the Pokédex), etc.

$Trainer.outfit is a number (a variable). By default it is the number 0, but you can set it to any other number by using $Trainer.outfit=42 (or whatever other number you want).

I can't explain it any more simply without trying to teach you the absolute basics of scripting (which I won't do). You'll have to learn how to code yourself. Essentials assumes that users are familiar with how to use RMXP (of which scripting is a part), and neither I nor the wiki will dumb things down to that extent.

Yes, you will need to invent some way (either a script or a set of event commands) which will allow the player to change the player's outfit number in a user-friendly way. I purposely left that task to the user, because there's so many ways one could do it. I've told you what the player's outfit is, and making a script/event commands that'll change it depending on user input isn't within the scope of this question.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I was actually asking for myself - to do what you're doing just make an event with multiple choices, like so
Untitled-3_zps9b1f7b47.png

to make it so each one is unlocked via anothr event you can you variables or switches or w/e pleases your fancy

Sam24

Sam24
Years
-Update-

Ok I'm starting to get a better understanding of what I'm suppose to do now.

Maruno: I've decided to use a list of event commands and I seem to have something working for me but I have just one problem. I'm able to change the overworld sprite but I can't change the other sprites, any help would be great, but then again all this help is great.

Saving Raven: I'll keep your idea in mind thanks :) also I wouldn't know how to modify such an item to change your outfit, sorry.

I'm still grateful for all this support. :)

Maruno

Years
Maruno: I've decided to use a list of event commands and I seem to have something working for me but I have just one problem. I'm able to change the overworld sprite but I can't change the other sprites, any help would be great, but then again all this help is great.
You need to make a full set of graphics for each outfit for each player character, and make sure each set of graphics is named properly. Come on, this should be obvious.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 8, 2018
Someone should probably add a few screenshots on the wiki for anyone confused. Basically you have to do this to change outfits;
1.) A default unmodified version of Pokemon Essentials 13, in it's metadata, will have trchar000 on the second comma. You change this into whatever your sprite's filename is.

2.) Afterwords locate that filename in the character's folder and find trchar000. Next to it is trchar001 and so on. For this example purpose, you should change trchar001 to trchar000_1.

3.) After changing that, go to your game map and in a new event, paste the script $Trainer.outfit=1. In-game, clicking the event should change your character into whatever trchar000_1 was. If you want to add other "outfits" just change a different filename to trchar000_2 and so on.

The whole using an item in bag to change clothes thing I'm sure has been answered in a thread once, only for using HM as items instead of changing clothes. Concept should still be the same though.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
\
Saving Raven: I'll keep your idea in mind thanks :) also I wouldn't know how to modify such an item to change your outfit, sorry.

My thing is already set i was just asking a question relevant to the topic, as your what you want, the event script i gave you is what you want, you can modify the test to say what you want, but what i gave you is what you want to use, and it works, i tweaked it from an older version of what i use to use, but does exactly what you want, all you need to do is set the outfits

Maruno

Years
Someone should probably add a few screenshots on the wiki for anyone confused. Basically you have to do this to change outfits;
1.) A default unmodified version of Pokemon Essentials 13, in it's metadata, will have trchar000 on the second comma. You change this into whatever your sprite's filename is.

2.) Afterwords locate that filename in the character's folder and find trchar000. Next to it is trchar001 and so on. For this example purpose, you should change trchar001 to trchar000_1.

3.) After changing that, go to your game map and in a new event, paste the script $Trainer.outfit=1. In-game, clicking the event should change your character into whatever trchar000_1 was. If you want to add other "outfits" just change a different filename to trchar000_2 and so on.
This is misleading. You're just talking about the player's front sprite, but there are many more graphics depicting the player than just that. You'll need to copy each of them and rename the copies to include the outfit number. One set of copies per outfit. Make sure you keep the original set of graphics around (without any altered filenames).

Seriously, the wiki says all this. I don't see how people are having so much of a problem understanding it.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 8, 2018
My bad, it didn't exactly seemed like he was asking for anything other than the walking sprites, and a place in the bag to call it from in his op.

Sam24

Sam24
Years
-Update-
Okay I'm almost done, but I'm having some issues that I need tweaking and then I'm set.

The overworld and back sprites seem to be working well, but the only sprites I'm having trouble with is the mugshot and front sprite.

I'm using an unmodified version of version 13, I've named the front sprite "trainer000_1" and I've named the mugshot "vsTrainer0_001" and the bar "vsBar0_001"

If you can just help me with this then I'll be set.

Maruno

Years
I've named the mugshot "vsTrainer0_001" and the bar "vsBar0_001"
What made you think you should put those extra zeroes in there?

The Trainer Card and the Vs. animation doesn't support outfits at the moment. I thought I'd done it but I didn't.

Sam24

Sam24
Years
-Update-
Thanks for all the help and support. I'm a little annoyed about not being able to change the front sprite and mugshot but I can still get somewhere with the outfit customization with what I can do now.
Once again thanks for everyone who helped out.

Back