• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Time to get with the times - First B/W team.

Hey guys. After a long stint in playing Pokemon, I've decided that I would improve my former competitive team and head into the 5th Generation.

142.png

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly - Pressure
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~Taunt
~Stealth Rock
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake

Aerodactyl is a very useful lead, outrunning many of his opponents and taunting them, preventing their set up whilst performing his own. Stone edge for STAB and Earthquake for coverage.

260.png

Swampert @ Leftovers
236 HP / 216 Def / 58 SpD or SpA or Atk
Relaxed - Torrent
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
-Stone edge

I was always interested in using Swampert as a defensive wall, however I feel that he isn't performing that role quite well enough. Due to many weaknesses, I have considered replacing Swampert for Ferrothorn.

242.png

Blissey @ Leftovers
Calm - 252 Def / 80 SpA /176 SpD

-Softboiled
-Wish
-Flamethrower
-Toxic

Blissey has proved being a very useful spec. wall. Switching her into a majority of attacks, she quickly poisons before destroying the predicted steel switch in. She has even won me a few matches single handedly. I am thinking of finding something that can absorb spec. attacks like Blissey, however can distribute more damage and provide better type coverage.

121.png

Starmie@Choice Specs

Timid, Natural Cure
252 Sp.A, 252 Spe, 6 Hp
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Psychic

My special sweeper. Starmie has proven extremely useful, stepping in where others cannot.

373.png

Salamence @ Choice Scarf

228 Atk / 106 SpA / 176 Spe
Adamant - Intimidate
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Draco Meteor / Stone Edge

Almost partnered with Starmie, Salamence is my mix sweeper. Many opponents have been caught off guard by this dragon, taking down chunks of teams on his own accord.

453.png

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant - 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp

-Close Combat
-ExteemeSpeed
-Crunch
-Swords Dance

My last resort, Lucario. Another surprising pokemon, Lucario has managed to make a significant come back. Hindering his potential however is his speed status, this overcome by the introduction of ExtreemeSpeed.

This team has a number of weaknesses, such as being unable to handle water types (mainly stallers), grass types or anything which has managed to raise its stats. I am strongly considering the use of Ferrothorn in the place of Swampert to provide more type coverage.

Thanks for your help in advance!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To be honest, Aerodactyl isn't as good of a lead as it used to be, but it still works.

Swampert has only 1 weakness, which is Grass, an uncommon type to have. But yea, I think Ferrothorn might be a good replacement:
-Spikes (since you already have Aerodactyl set up Stealth Rock)
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
-Power Whip/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
Item: Leftovers

If you're running Specs on Starmie, it's better off with Psyshock over Psychic so it can deal with Blissey more easily, or Trick to screw over walls.

Don't use Adamant on a mixed Salamence; use Rash or Naive instead:
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Brick Break/Fire Blast
-Roost/Outrage
Nature: Rash/Naive
EVs: 116 Atk/216 SAtk/176 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Blissey is best off with Bold and 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef to help it take physical hits more easily, despite its poor Defense. It isn't doing much offensively anyway.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Swampert really isn't a great Pokemon to switch out, at least not to Ferrothorn. That would leave you wide open for a DDnite sweep, and Dnite is currently #1 in usage I believe, so I would suggest switch Aerodactyl out instead for:

Mamoswine@Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
252 Attack / 252 Speed
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Endeavor

This way you still get your Stealth Rock lead, but you also get some STAB priority. Also, I don't really know what you meant about being weak to grass as two of your Pokemon resist it, and you have Bliss since most of it is special anyways. It's not very common, but if the bulky waters giving you trouble are Gastrodon or Quagsire, you could always run Grass Knot > Thunderbolt. Seeing as it's specs it should still hit Gyara pretty hard, if not you've still got Swampert to help out there.

Hope you enjoy the new generation. :)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Your Swampert is outclassed in every way by Unaware Quagsire. =/

Dont dedicate a spot totally to a lead unless it can do more than one thing (i.e stack hazards like Deoxys-S). Aerodactly is majorly outclassed by D-S this gen and sucks in general as its essentially a wasted slot.

Scarf Salamence is pretty bad too, being Stealth Rock weak and being an inferior scarfer than Terrakion and Landorus.

Id probably use Rapid Spin on Starmie over Psychic (with a LO) too as this team is kinda easy to set up hazards on.

Thanks for your help so far guys, really appreciate it!
I've decided to go with Ferro over Swampert for more resistance in defense. Ooka, thanks for the lead suggestion. Dark azelf, I do agree with everything you've said, especially that a lead only pokemon is a wasted spot.

Would anyone mind suggesting a replacement for Scarfmence or another one for Aero? I do like the sound of Mammoswine too. Just wondering, would Regice be a good special wall, or is Blissey a good substitute?

Thanks for your help everyone :)

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Blissey is much better than Regice. As for Salamence PlatinumDude already gave a much better option:

Don't use Adamant on a mixed Salamence; use Rash or Naive instead:
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Brick Break/Fire Blast
-Roost/Outrage
Nature: Rash/Naive
Item: Life Orb

If you're going to replace Aerodactyl, D_A already said D-S outclassed it, and it does, so here's the set I use, and it works pretty well, not only as an anti lead, but it gets SR up every time.

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 216 Atk / 96 SAtk / 196 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Though, if this is for in-game and you have to go through breeding and all that good stuff, you could put SR on Ferro and run this in front:

Darmanitan@Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
252 Attack / 4 Sp. Defense / 252 Speed
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
Rock Slide
Superpower

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
Years
Instead of Aerodactyl, I have Ferrothorn as my lead. And in the past he has came out to do acceptionally well as a lead.

@ Leftovers
Brave
106 Hp // 252 Atk // 150 Def
-Spikes (Typical Set Up)
-Leech Seed (Sapping away while substituting is a pain for others)
-Substitute (Go ahead and Substitute to stall. Gain that health back with Leech Seed and Leftovers combo. It fades? Go ahead and repeat.
-Seed Bomb (STAB)

Awesome, thanks for your help guys. Very much appreciated.
Ooka, as it is an in-game team, I will use the Darmanitan set provided.

My final team is such;

568.png

Darmanitan@Choice Scarf
Adamant - 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
Flare Blitz
U-Turn
Rock Slide
Superpower

612.png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed – 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
-Power Whip/Protect

242.png

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold - 252 Def / 80 SpA /176 SpD
-Softboiled
-Wish
-Flamethrower
-Toxic

121.png

Starmie@Choice Specs
Timid, Natural Cure
252 Sp.A, 252 Spe, 6 Hp
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Psychic

373.png

Salamence @ Life orb
Nature: Rash/Naïve
-Fire Blast
-Brick Break/Fire Blast
-Roost/Outrage
-Draco Meteor.

453.png

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant - 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Hp
-Close Combat
-ExteemeSpeed
-Crunch
-Swords Dance

Thanks again for your help everyone. Any final suggestions or is that all good?
Cheers :)

Back