• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: What screw-ups while rom hacking make you the most mad?

Years
When i'm in my happy mood and i'm mixing some tiles together and making some adjustments to the colors and so on. And when they are finally ready and I'm inserting those tiles into my rom when i find out i have used 16 colors for my tiles. And thus have to erase 1 color and still make the tiles look good. And that can be a pain in the ass.

Or when I'm working and having trouble with something for a few weeks and when you are finally finished you find a way easier way of doing it on a random tutorial you are watching. It should make me happy that i found an easier way. But just the fact I lost some much time on doing something that wasn't really needed to be done in the hard way...

Last edited:

AstralComet

PKMN-Trainer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 21, 2015
When I create a huge script which took me so long to write and then test it just to realize that it doesn't works, then having to check EVERY BIT of it to see the mistake and because I had no idea what was wrong, importing the script again and again, each time with one little detail changed until I realize after an hour that I forgot ONE little letter at the beginning <.<

Also, I always make backups after a little change. But for a while NOTHING went wrong so I stopped making backups, but then EVERYTHING went wrong and I had to restart the whole ROM >.<

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
In my case, screw ups that make me really mad would be those times where you forget to put a waitmovement 0x0, or a lock command, and you run your hack on your emulator and panic when it doesn't work, and realize 30 minutes later that you forgot to put a simple command in. It's given me a lot of facepalm moments :p

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
Years
The problem with me is that I make back ups, but don't look at what the name is then I overwrite the wrong patch.

So this happened:
I was working on my Blue hack, I had worked for a solid couple hours editing trainers and whatnot. I made a few backups. I finished the hack, then I needed a clean ROM so I could make the IPS patch. I got the ROM, then when I went to click make IPS patch on Lunar IPS, I clicked the edited rom by accident when selecting "use clean, unedited rom." Then when it said use edited file, I had used the un-edited ROM. then I saved. When I checked if it was alright, I died a little inside. I had to restart everything and that was just terrible.

ExitWound

Boggle
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 22, 2016
Ugh, I've read a few posts on here, and it seems like forgetting to back up your rom is the most hated thing lol.

I was actually going to say that, too. Forgetting to back it up and then accidentally corrupting it is the worst feeling in the world...

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Two things. One of them being when your rom gets messed up and you haven't made a backup in a while and you just go afdgskjasdghfkanlsdgfab!E!!EQRD.
The other thing, not really a screw up, is editing the stats, movesets, and everything for new mons.

Aelidru

Forebearer of Disasters
Years
I hate it when Mapping, you accidentally right click button on a different tile than the one you're working with, because it's so close to the one you're working with and you don't even notice, until you look back to see gaps mocking you >:(

Hooray for human errors-_-

Years
So I was editing TM 49 Snatches palette at one point, and I made the pointer for it 5 chars instead of 6 in the item editor included w/ GBAPGE, and then it went, KER-PLUNK, crash, and I was sad because it kept crashing when i tried to load the item. Thankfully, the bad pointer showed up when the error message popped up, so I was able to fix it manually in HxD. Best part is, it was on purpose; just to see what it would look like.

Last edited:

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
When i have written the whole script and then compile it and Mistakes Comes and When testing, some applymovements goes wrong, some msgbox Doubles And glitches. These make me mad most!

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
I'm making a zeo rom base and I accidently loaded a different pal for the trees That I had already inserted... And You would think I saved the tree palette... xD
Spoiler:

Smeargle

Illusory
Years
Definitely hate it when I'm hex editing or working on an expirement that involves hex and I make a small mistake like writing offsets backwards or not documenting what I've changed. Mainly the smaller things make me mad because I overlook them.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I hate it when I mess up things that are simple and when trying to fix my mistakes I don't think about them until the very last second. Case in point: when inserting a routine I needed to change the pointer in Hex Workshop but accidentally changed the pointer to the ASM routine rather than the Script containing the callasm command and I couldn't figure it out for ages!

Logan

Years
THE HORRID AMOUNT OF INFO ON ANYTHING!
While this could possibly be my favourite post of all time, is there any chance you could elaborate on what you actually mean by horrible amount of info on anything? I'm interested to see what you feel is complicated, especially when ROM Hacking has been immensely simplified over the past 5 years.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
R&D is full of interesting threads that were over years yet were so short... That amazes me that in 5 years nothing new was really done... EXAMPLE: advancemap 1.95 beta is still beta... no 1.95 release or 1.96 in sight, I would think a 2.0 release might be something that would happen in 2014, but Lu-Ho Quit hacking and he either told people not to take over the project or nobody decided to...

Last edited:

Logan

Years
R&D is full of interesting threads that were over years yet were so short... That amazes me that in 5 years nothing new was really done... EXAMPLE: advancemap 1.95 beta is still beta... no 1.95 release or 1.96 in sight, I would think a 2.0 release might be something that would happen in 2014, but Lu-Ho Quit hacking and he either told people not to take over the project or nobody decided to...
A-Map hardly needs an update, we should be happy that we have a tool that allows us to actually do the maps. Go back just a little longer and you'll see that people didn't even have map editors and mapping was done in a hex editor. Take it from someone who has been around a while, ROM Hacking has vastly progressed over the past five years. When I began my first hack people would have laughed if I had said that I wanted a Day and Night or a Physical/Special system. Maybe if someone else hasn't done enough research on something that you would like to implement then you should look into it yourself and be the innovator. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't believe anyone these days should discredit the amount of information available to them when you can go back 5 years and we'd be laughing at the notion of half the stuff that is freely available these days.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
When I insert a script then ♥♥♥♥s up the rom and I don't know how to fix it. More ♥♥♥♥ed up if I have no back up, that's a pain.

Logan

Years
When I insert a script then ♥♥♥♥s up the rom and I don't know how to fix it. More ♥♥♥♥ed up if I have no back up, that's a pain.
No need for the swearing To be completely honest with you you would have to do something completely catastrophic in your script to mess the ROM up beyond repair, so I can't really see where you're coming from. It's probably a rule of thumb that if you are inserting anything that has even a minor chance of corruption that you should make atleast one backup.

Back