• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
No, no. It's not that my friend Jordan is bicurious or anything of the sort or otherwise.

He hasn't had much luck romantically, so I completely understand if a good friend of his who hangs around him all day and is extremely handsome crosses his mind to think about what it'd be like. It's not like just because the thought crossed his mind he's gay/bi/whatever.

Haven't you ever thought what I'd be like with certain people, regardless of sex/gender? I've imagined what it'd be like with some awesome girls I know, but that doesn't make me not gay or anything. All the times I have my sexuality says "LOL NO GET BACK IN YOUR QUEER CORNER."

Well they sound like charming people. Could we have a link to this please?

+1

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I kind of get what you mean. When I was a kid I often thought about my wedding day. I imagined myself standing at the altar of a church (because that was where I thought weddings had to be) while a woman with pale white skin and long dark hair walked down the aisle toward me - she was absolutely beautiful.

I'm not sure whether that makes me more or less gay...

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Well, if you still think she's beautiful. lol

Oddly enough I've always hated the idea of a wedding. I'd rather just love the person I want to love, and not have to shout it out to the world... but I'm a fairly shy person, so I guess that's why.

Years
I kind of get what you mean. When I was a kid I often thought about my wedding day. I imagined myself standing at the altar of a church (because that was where I thought weddings had to be) while a woman with pale white skin and long dark hair walked down the aisle toward me - she was absolutely beautiful.

I'm not sure whether that makes me more or less gay...
Depends on whether you also imagined you were the wedding planner.

Years
I can't speak to that video personally since the gay people I know are mostly nerds who-happen-to-be-gay and don't belong to big gay crowds or anything. But obviously hypocrisy makes you look really, really bad, and it's especially bad when you're trying to be the de facto spokespeople and supporters for someone like an anonymous bullied gay kid in school and you treat people bad.

Shining Raichu

Years
I actually disagree a bit with that video. This isn't an issue that's gay-specific. People judge other people based on their looks, or to be more blunt – how much or how little they want to have sex with them. It happens all the time. You see straight guys say this about girls, "no fat chicks" "big boobs don't count if you're fat" among a bunch of other insults. And then you see women do the same to men: "he's fat", "he's balding", " he's got too much body hair".

It bothers me that he's calling out gay people specifically for this and making the community as a whole seem like hypocrites because "as gay people we should know better". Everybody is bullied in their lives for something about themselves; even straight people. Therefore everybody should know better.

We're no better or worse than anybody else, and why should we be expected to be? To hold us to a different standard than anybody else who judges somebody by the way they look is frustrating because treating us different because we're gay – in any form – is the exact sort of thing we're fighting against. Gay people don't need to change; people need to change.

Not cool, Mr Wavey. Not cool.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Isn't the video itself pretty hypocritical?...

Looking at the rest of his videos, he is topless most of the time - he is topless because he has a great body and so is trying to get people to click for that. That kind of dampens his point as he WANTS to be clicked based on looks, and then listened to after, however his message is you should listen to someone before judging them based on looks...

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Hm. I'm personally dispositioned to not take him seriously because the next video in the sidebar is a picture of him laying ass-up on a couch in shorts touching his butt that's titled "Straight Guys Need Anal Play, too."

Not particularly the best role model for the gay community if you know what I mean.

Shining Raichu

Years
The message is of course good and noble, I just dislike the exclusivity of the group to whom he's preaching it. I think overall he's a good role model in that he's completely open about who he is and has no shame in talking about any and every aspect of homosexuality or sexuality in general (something to which we should all aspire) but with this message... I think if he was going to do an anti-hate message, he could have executed it far better.

Everything about it is accusatory and has this "shame on you" feel to it which I really don't like, simply because he's taking a universal problem, falsely labeling it a gay community problem and then scolding us for it.

Years
Well, as I said I can't speak for "the gay community," but if there is some level of what he's talking about going on wouldn't it be best if a member of the community said something about it? I guess you'd call that self-policing. It's like if we suddenly got a bunch of nasty members at PC trolling this and other forums we'd want one of us to tell them to stop rather than some outsider who might just paint all of us as troublemakers by association.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I don't think it's really that big of a deal, and he is right, but like Andy said, it isn't a problem exclusive to gays.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
The reason why he directs it to gay people is because the majority of his subscribers are gay. He is just asking his viewers to set an example for how they treat and talk about others. I think that bullying and trash-talking among the LGBT community is a problem. Although there are many other settings and facets of people who treat each other poorly he does not mention, it does not mean his message is a derogatory one. It's like saying that those fundraising to find a cure for cancer are failing to mention the struggle that those with AIDS, HIV, Alzheimer's, heart disease, diabetes, and other health conditions live with, and therefore are not properly advocating for our citizens' health.

Also, because he is shirtless and covers a variety of subjects, it does not necessarily mean that he is not in a position to advocate for treating others with respect, nor does it make him a superficial hypocrite. We don't need to criticize people for when they advocate for camaraderie in the gay community. Progress has got to start from somewhere.

Years
Regarding the daveywavey video, I agree with -ty-, though Shining Raichu did make some good counter-points. c:

And on a different note entirely, can I join? :D

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
My first thought was about how smooth his chest is. SO SMOOTH.

On the other hand the idea of accepting the message no matter the packaging makes me think of Rosa Parks. She wasn't the first person to be in a situation like she was and to get in trouble for it, but the reason she became so big was because she was a reliable adult that 'looked right', as opposed to say, Claudette Colvin, the 15 year old girl who did the exact same thing 9 months before her. While it's admirable to judge something on the content of it instead of what surrounds it, other things the same person says, and things such as that, those things do have to be considered if you really want to reach a wider audience. Take the people that are being harsh and judgmental and such; it's going to be hard enough to get through to them even with the perfect spokesperson, because you're telling them to change something about themselves and that's always difficult. It's much more difficult if the person can just pick at the speaker's character, making him into a hypocrite or unreliable or something, then they won't feel the need to listen at all.

Swift: just because someone wants their looks to be appreciated doesn't mean that they necessarily want other looks to be derided. I have curves. I like to wear form-fitting shirts to show off my curves. Does that mean that I think someone who's not curvy should be insulted and treated badly over it? Not at all. You can have a positive body image of yourself without thinking everyone else should be ridiculed for not being perfect.

Shining Raichu

Years
Welcome alehizzle :D

As a person who's spent hours watching Davey Wavey videos before, the potential hypocrisy of standing there shirtless and speaking out against others judging people on how they look never really occurred to me whatsoever. I think it's a ploy to grab attention to his videos because he's hot as hell, and it's just what he's always done - so that never really bothered me. I don't think that means he shouldn't be able to vlog about whatever he feels strongly about, because he's just doing what he has to do to be heard. It never really made me question his legitimacy or his propensity to be taken seriously.

But that said, to come at the point I was trying to make earlier from a different angle, there are ways to get your mesage across without alienating the people to whom you're trying to preach it. Personally, I've never seen a blog and commented on it with mean-spirited things about people's appearances so I don't necessarily count myself in the target audience for this video. If I were though, an angry rant video with a title that screams "SOMEBODY NEEDS TO CALL PEOPLE LIKE YOU OUT!" isn't something to which I would ever respond positively. I would get immediately angry and I would not take in the message at all because people don't like being called out. It's an inflammatory thing to do and all it does is make people defensive. Despite what you see in the movies, it doesn't result in people having epiphanies about themselves and vowing to change their ways.

So I don't think this video is going to get anybody anywhere (no matter how many comments it gets saying "omg you're soooooo right Davey xoxoxo").

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Personally I don't think Davey Wavey is that hot. :/

Hey guys!

So, if any of you have ever taken extensive time to stalk me thoroughly, you would know that my old account was created back in 2005. I've been on PC since I was ten.

That said, when I look around PC nowadays, I see how much has changed. Especially how mature everything has become; particularly when it comes down to gay rights.

Back in 2007, a "Do you support gay marriage/Are you straight or gay?" thread would burst into a flame war every time. A thread like that was even not allowed to exist for a period of time here on PC.

I participated in one of these threads, and it's basically my rule of thumb for how far we've come.

And today I got sidetracked from what I was actually going to do on here, and ended up on a path that lead me to digging up this little thread once again.

Click Here Please :3

Please Note: This thread is now very old for forum standards, and includes people who've had name changes (since this was back in a time where there was an entire thread for that requesting that), been banned, no longer come to PC, and me using my old account back when I thought I was straight.

Perish the thought.

I felt it was necessary to post this here so that everyone can take a gander if they've got some time to murder, to see how well we as a community can handle these kinds of issues now.

Enjoy. :3

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Thankfully that was before I joined... cuz I would've been against it at the time. =/

(Although, literally no one on the first page of that thread was against it... so I'd say people were pretty good about it then too, although I didn't read past the first page. lol)

Edit: Looking back some of the posts I made on it though, I can't find any posts of mine that were against gays/gay marriage. That's kind of surprising... guess I just never posted about it that long ago.

This is the oldest post I can find that mentions sexuality in any way... like 1.5 years ago:
I don't personally believe you are born with ANY sexual preference. Granted your body is designed for a specific use, but that may or may not come into play. Really, all we are is the culmination of all of our experiences in life. A gay person's experiences lead him or her to be Gay. It wasn't a decision, and they weren't born that way.

Example: I've been exposed to far more yaoi than I would like lately, due to the anime that I'm watching, and all of the girls on deviantart drawing yuri one day and then after I deviantwatch them, they seem to draw nothing but yaoi. I'll admit, just because I'm exposed to it so much, I have a little nagging feeling inside that wants to try it. Now, I'm straight, and I'm going to stay straight, if I have anything to say about it, but this is the perfect example of how our experiences shape who we are.
^ Guess I didn't have anything to say about it. :P

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
It's quite interesting looking back at that thread and noting the people who are against it, such as certain moderators who have posted there.

I wonder if their individual opinions have changed, since some people were making ridiculous claims 5 years ago - such as relating homosexual marriage to beastiality...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
>Click to end of thread
>"I'm just tired of people who are gay arguing with me. Once again, this is a conflict between straight people; Straight people who are for it and who are against it."
>nope.jpg

Back