• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why no realistic/modern RPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Paul said:
And part of the reason people roleplay is to have a different set of rules and conditions than real life~~ we try to get as far from realistic as possible. =D
Extrapolating from that, then why do people play games like Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942, Splinter Cell, and Counter-Strike? They adhere to reality as close as possible, yet gamers can find escape in them, much like your typical Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamer.

Less Lloyd Irving, more Sam Fisher. xP

Burninating_Torchic

Very important
Years
That's exactly the thing about a realistic war RP/Game: It's something very different from everyday life, but it's not too far-out and overfabricated.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2022
Jack O'Neill said:
Extrapolating from that, then why do people play games like Call of Duty, Battlefield 1942, Splinter Cell, and Counter-Strike? They adhere to reality as close as possible, yet gamers can find escape in them, much like your typical Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamer.

Less Lloyd Irving, more Sam Fisher. xP
I was on the High School RPing topic. War = not realistic for the average person.

Therefore, what is foriegn is accepted.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Jack O'Neill said:
They adhere to reality as close as possible, yet gamers can find escape in them, much like your typical Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamer.

Yes, but you don't exactly see monsters running all over the place, aeons dancing around each time you 'summon' them, and you don't exactly see people changing 'jobs' in the middle of a battle, especially when they change to things like 'alchemist' or, 'white mage'. You don't see magic in realistic RP's, so I wouldn't relate real life to Final Fantasy. The only thing I would relate are the graphics, and the settings, and even the settings aren't that realistic. Imagine seeing a blitzball arena. Whoo-wee. Not gonna happen soon. Don't generalize Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamers according to the way you feel, because personally I don't think Final Fantasy is realistically oriented to real life at all. You have to think about it.

As for the real world RP, the reason most people don't do those RPs, is because, you need a plot for that, and not many average kids are gonna try to pull some kind of dictator down, or live their way through high school. These did appear, high school RPs such as 'Live your way through bullies, pop quizzes, and getting shoved into lockers!'. But they just don't last, because nobody wants to roleplay going to school realistically, because then you get to listen to the teacher drone on forever. Trust me, in as many High school RP's I've been in, (Gaia) they all die after the tardy bell rings. You'd need someone who's willing to make realistic things happen within the RP, someone who doesn't care if they look desperate for something to happen, which doesn't happen often. Because really that's the only way you meet someone, is if you shove yourself to their attention and say 'hi!'. To me, I hate making first moves and syuffs like that. Makes me feel like I'm shamefully yelling 'Hey pay attention to me god****it!'. Even though I'm really not.

Burninating_Torchic

Very important
Years
Naoko-chan said:
Yes, but you don't exactly see monsters running all over the place, aeons dancing around each time you 'summon' them, and you don't exactly see people changing 'jobs' in the middle of a battle, especially when they change to things like 'alchemist' or, 'white mage'. You don't see magic in realistic RP's, so I wouldn't relate real life to Final Fantasy. The only thing I would relate are the graphics, and the settings, and even the settings aren't that realistic. Imagine seeing a blitzball arena. Whoo-wee. Not gonna happen soon. Don't generalize Final Fantasy or Tales of Symphonia gamers according to the way you feel, because personally I don't think Final Fantasy is realistically oriented to real life at all. You have to think about it.

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He said that realistic games like war games allow you to find escape, and final fantasy allows you to find escape, and therefore they're similiar in that aspect.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Burninating_Torchic said:
I think you misunderstood what he was saying. He said that realistic games like war games allow you to find escape, and final fantasy allows you to find escape, and therefore they're similiar in that aspect.
THANK YOU!!! Finally, somebody here at least understands my views.

Electric Hero

(Lightning) Lord
Years
Yea, there should be RPs like Call of Duty... or Call of Duty, even better than the first one with the best campaign, the Russian one. I would like to have an M1 Garand and a scoped Mosin-Nagat, or fly a Hurricane or a jet-propelled Meteor (it was the first jet-propelled airplane, and it was used in WW II). And even we don't mention anything related to politics, there is always, or can be someone that mention it... anyway... if we are going to do an RP like that, I say that the ones that want to enter (always consider me in!) first promise that they are not going to mention anything that starts up something bad, and then we all enjoy... if something related to this comes up, let me know! =)

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 10, 2008
I completely agree with burninating torchic.

Even though i dont participate or like RPs. I just think his perspectives have to be taken granted.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
As I said before, no one's stopping anyone from creating these type of RPGs. If you think there should be a specific type of RPG, then, by all means, make one. o.x;

Years
Like Lileh said, you think there should be more realistic RPG's, then go and create one. It so happens that people who RPG here prefere fantasy RPG's other wise the would nnot create them or join them XP

Years
Heh, how did I know I could find Max-Hunter here?

His war/strategy/brothers in arms RPs are really good. He should open a new one. As for modern day ones, I think school ones are more interesting, but most of those are found in Pkmn RP.

Yeah, I made up my mind. Gonna go start one. Heh. Meh ish crazeh.

Fantasy RPs are fun though. Who doesn't want to go join a 'Norse Mythology' one? And who doesn't want to shapeshift/fly/shoot people with laser guns? .... I'm not helping, am I?

Electric Hero

(Lightning) Lord
Years
Wow, I don't know Gohan, he goes from place to place in the blink of an eye! oh wait, I'm Max!! XD. Oh Gohan, c'mon! we know each other from a long time ago, when lightsabers, X-wings and A-wings were used! call me just Max, and the username is with a space.

Oh, and... stop embarrasing me Gohan, you are telling everyone my RPs rock!!! ........ It's an habit of mine to idiotize myself... sometimes saying everything mine sucks, or even I suck.... but that's why 'cause I'm too good to tell everyone I rock... I'm too modest. But anyway, thanks for saying they rock and that I should do a new one! =D I should consider making a new one... but oh well... time will come, don't worry.

And just like you said, most school RPs are in the Pok?mon section because the pok?mon school plays a role in that world. And maybe because people has just realized going from place to place battling with pok?mon is boring... well, kinda... XD. Yea, there should be a School RP here, in the Other Section, it should be as normal as possible... but with some good story too... I may should do it!!! ......

... but while that happens... Cuidado mi peque?o gran rockstar!!

Years
  • MD
  • Seen Mar 17, 2007
Burninating_Torchic said:
1st Example: A School RP. Not a school full of kids with super-powers or whatever, but just a regular high school. The practical use of this is that people are able to slightly alter an aspect of their real life and convey it creatively, and, quite frankly, I could definitely see people getting help with their everyday problems through the RP posts of others.
I been on a forum with one of those and it was pretty popular though it really isn't my kind of thing.
~Ozy~ said:
For the most part, because there's very little common intrest there. People RP to escape their norm, not to solve the issues that exist within it, or to fantisize instead of seeing more of the same. It is a vessel for people to be someone they are not, who can do things they cannot, and fantasy/sci-fi are the two easiste ways to do this.
Exactly, because if I am gonna roleplay why would I wanna do something I could do or do everyday like go to school. I mean I rather be an ancient vampire or mage or something along those lines as I never could be those things and that is what RP'ing is about. Playing a role of something to escape reality and being a teen in HS isn't that unless of course your an alien or something like that.
Lily said:
As I said before, no one's stopping anyone from creating these type of RPGs. If you think there should be a specific type of RPG, then, by all means, make one. o.x;
Ya I don't see why you don't just make one if you want one so bad, I know if I wanted to see a certain type of RP I like to participate in I make one if one didn't exist already.

Years
Blink of an eye?! Man I want your powers so bad. :)

Sorry. I like using hyphens. :)

Don't idiotize yourself... Be a happy person, and enjoy the views of life and such.

Okay, that was such crap, I'm going to stop trying to be optimistic.
And your RpG stuffinessesssses does rock. RpG! w00tness

Electric Hero

(Lightning) Lord
Years
Of course you want my powers... but you will not have them! MWAHAHAHA XD.

And... I idiotize myself because I'm too modest... and... I'm more optimist than you are! being optimist doesn't mean I have to yell around that my RPs rock... that's the job of the RPers if they like them XD nah just kidding. Anyone can say whatever he or she wants... and... even I'm too modest... very deep within me... I know they rock XD. Ok, I'm joking... again. Anyway... I have to say thanks for thinking that way about my RPs... and my RPing skills... I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back