• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HeartGold or SoulSilver?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Years
I had Gold growing up, so even though I didn't really get a choice of the two games when I got it, I still would've went with HeartGold either way for the continuity. I actually do like some of the SS exclusives better, and I prefer Lugia, but at least Lugia shows up at a higher level in HG for a tougher battle!

Years
I picked HG version purely because I had Gold when I was a kid instead of Silver. I could easily say it's because I prefer Ho-Oh (which I do) but you get both of them in both games anyway so it doesn't matter. The only real difference is the version exclusives like Growlithe or Vulpix for example.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
im playing through soul silver again now. I forgot how much more difficult this game was than the newer games

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 10, 2020
I went for SoulSilver purely due to having the original Silver game first, it just seemed the natural thing to do. Also Lugia still remains my favourite out of the two mascots but still should've been water/flying type.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
I never had Gold or Silver as games, but we do have Crystal. I went with Heart Gold while my brother went with Soul Silver. The reason why I picked Heart Gold is because one of my friends at the time has the original Gold. Oh, and Ho-oh looks better in the game than it originally did in its predecessor.

Evyl

t r a g i c
Years
SoulSilver for life mang. I prefer the version-exclusives and I like silver jewelry better than gold anyway. I like the look of Lugia better, too, but I like Ho-oh's typing more.

Years
Soul Silver for me. I like them both equally but I bought Soul Silver first so I thought that I might as well choose it!

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
I've played both; I had HeartGold for a while, but I somehow managed to lose it, so I got SoulSilver as a replacement. After having both, I have to say, I prefer HeartGold -- getting through Bell Tower was a lot less tedious than getting through Whirl Islands, if only because you need no HMs to go through Bell Tower. Yes... In fact, my first time ever even bothering with the Whirl Islands was with SoulSilver, I never even caught Lugia on my own in HeartGold. XD (I really hate caves, okay)

Years
Originally I bought SoulSilver, because Lugia is one of my favorite legendaries. I ended buying HeartGold, later, and passed my SS onto a kid I babysit every now and then. I like HG better, because of Growlithe pretty much. I never used it, but I like Caterpie better than Weedle, as well.

Years
Back when G/S came out, I had Gold, just because I thought Ho-oh was awesome and mysterious (I was 10). However I ended up buying SS when it was released because there were no HG left and I really just wanted to play the game. Now I'm so glad I bought SS, mainly because of Skarmory and Vulpix. I've also come to admire Lugia a lot more than Ho-oh, because of it's simple yet beautiful design.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Pokémon Gold was my first Pokémon game, and I have very fond memories of it. My best would be the Growlithe I trained to lvl 100(Nope, not Arcanine, haha!)

I've been recently looking around for HG as I want to replay it; but the games are getting really expensive here(Sweden), and I've only managed to find SS...
I bought SS a while ago, but the game was all screwed up(freezing every 5 minute), so I just bought another one last weekend. I really hoe this one'll be better(though, I'm not sure as the DS didn't recognise the game at first...)

Anuya

Hoenn's Elite Four pretender
Years
For me the best it's "obviously" HeartGold, for a simple reason, Ho-Oh *W*.
No seriously, I don't see the difference between these twice version but, I prefer Heartgold for Ho-Oh, it is a little difference but it has his importance !​

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
Years
Soul Silver for me. I love love Silver back in the day. So Soul Silver for me.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Funnily I think my favourite would be Heart Gold since Ho-oh is my favourite legendary.

However I actually bought Soul Silver because I got the original Pokemon Gold.

(I voted Heart Gold)

Years
I bought HG because I figured most of my friends would have SS and I would complement their pokedexes. I was right, too.

Back