• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2011
Uh.. can anyone tell me the location in the RAM for this (if there is one):

Code:
[INDENT][BATTLE STYLE--------SHIFT--------][/INDENT]

The shift/set one. I really need to know if there is one.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Attachments

• Pokemon - Fire Red # GBA.png
    Pokemon - Fire Red # GBA.png
    3 KB · Views: 9
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2012
Type Insertion?

I seem to recall seeing something around here about adding new types to R/S/E roms... though, I recently searched for it rather thoroughly, and found nothing. Does anyone know if this kind of thing exists? If so, does anyone know where I could find such a tutorial?

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
Hi everyone!
I'm new to ROM hacking and I don't really want to get into it too far right now, BUT:

I want to change the event at the beginning of FireRed where Oak gives you your Pokédex so that he gives you the National Dex instead.

I already have XSE but I can't seem to find a way to open the scripts in the ROM with it?

If there are any tutorials for this, I'd be really happy to have a link.

Note: I don't want to make a new script, I just want to change the existing one.

Thanks in Advance (do you see what I did there),
Cheers,
Peter

SupahNinja

Scripting Ninja
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2011
uummmm, i wanted to know how to get lets say zekrom to fit in a 64x64 pallete without screwing the sprite up. not adding or edititng trainers, but i will need that later so thanks anyway.
Ah, sorry.
Not sure why, but for some reason I though you were talking about trainers.
Hi everyone!
I'm new to ROM hacking and I don't really want to get into it too far right now, BUT:

I want to change the event at the beginning of FireRed where Oak gives you your Pokédex so that he gives you the National Dex instead.

I already have XSE but I can't seem to find a way to open the scripts in the ROM with it?

If there are any tutorials for this, I'd be really happy to have a link.

Note: I don't want to make a new script, I just want to change the existing one.

Thanks in Advance (do you see what I did there),
Cheers,
Peter

If you have Advance Map:
Spoiler:

If you don't have Advance Map:
Spoiler:

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
@SupahNinja, since he can script with XSE without using A-Map, and all he needs is to know the offset (namely, $169595):

Cathar, while you're on XSE, go to File -> Open... and select your Fire Red ROM. Open it, and then go to an empty white box where on its left it says 'offset'. Add 169595 on that offset and press the button next to it (shows two tools making an 'X' mark). That's the 'decompile' button. Voila! The script is here! Make your necessary changes and then hit the compile button (which seems like two gears colliding). Script compiled and ready to test!

its ok, so do you know how to do what im talking about?
You need to fix the screw-ups yourself. Edit the sprite a bit, make the outlines clear.

Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
its ok, so do you know how to do what im talking about?

actually there are already edited BW sprites sized for GBA in the art gallery section. but I will just link his website where you can download it directly from.

http://wesleyfg.weebly.com/sprites.html

Now about inserting them. the best way would be through NSE, you might need to download a plugin for it but its by far the easiest way to insert/replace sprites. btw there are two NSEs, classic and 2.0, i would suggest 2.0 as it can do way more.

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
Thanks to everyone who helped me! My problem was that I had an older version of Advance Map without the Edit Script function.

Now another noobish question:
As far as I have gathered by now, if you add/change certain things in a ROM, you need to find some more room for them.
My question is:
Which changes to the ROM require extra space? And how much extra space is left on a ROM until I have to delete other things?
I know that adding Pokémon to a Trainer's team needs more space, as does adding Attacks to a Pokémon's Move list. But what else?

And my other (probably equally noobish) question:
Where can I find stuff to delete if I need more space?
I have noticed that data for all trainers in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is in the FireRed ROM, I assume I can savely delete all of those to make room, yes?

Thanks for the help so far, I hope I'm not bothering you with my questions.

Cheers,
Peter

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Thanks to everyone who helped me! My problem was that I had an older version of Advance Map without the Edit Script function.

Now another noobish question:
As far as I have gathered by now, if you add/change certain things in a ROM, you need to find some more room for them.
My question is:
Which changes to the ROM require extra space? And how much extra space is left on a ROM until I have to delete other things?
I know that adding Pokémon to a Trainer's team needs more space, as does adding Attacks to a Pokémon's Move list. But what else?

And my other (probably equally noobish) question:
Where can I find stuff to delete if I need more space?
I have noticed that data for all trainers in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is in the FireRed ROM, I assume I can savely delete all of those to make room, yes?

Thanks for the help so far, I hope I'm not bothering you with my questions.

Cheers,
Peter

You should have enough free space left in your ROM to make your hack without having to delete anything.
Even if you run out of free space, you can easily expand the ROM using XSE.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
So...Does anyone know how to create Battle Backgrounds....or rather format them for insertion.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 24, 2015
one quick question.....how do you change the trainers pokemon and levels etc, like if i wanted edit the trainers in viridian forest how wld i change thhe pokemon they have how many they have etc? Thanks.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
one quick question.....how do you change the trainers pokemon and levels etc, like if i wanted edit the trainers in viridian forest how wld i change thhe pokemon they have how many they have etc? Thanks.
Download a tool called A-Trainer, and that will work for I think mainly firered and leafgreen, with the tool you can switch trainers pokemon and switch their attacks and what items the pokemon will hold or how many pokemon a trainer has (up to six pokemon) and stuff like that. :)

Epitaph93

Intermediate Digidestined
Years
How do you change an item's image? Say I want to replace the image for a FireStone with the image of a red digi-egg from digimon (24x24 pixels of course :P )? I've tried to do it via a complicated route, but ended up crashing the game. Might there be a program for this that's quick and easy?
P.S. I'm hacking Fire Red, if that matters.

Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2011
Hi, I have a problem making a new map in Advancemap. I create a map and insert it but then it gets glitchy... The border blocks are all messed up when I have them set to all black and the warps dont work. I can work to the map but not out. Scripted NPC do work however. Any solutions?

PLEASE HELP ME

thanks

link12552

decade club
Years
How do you change an item's image? Say I want to replace the image for a FireStone with the image of a red digi-egg from digimon (24x24 pixels of course :P )? I've tried to do it via a complicated route, but ended up crashing the game. Might there be a program for this that's quick and easy?
P.S. I'm hacking Fire Red, if that matters.

NSE classic has a plugin included for editing image sprites. Just convert/import it.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 24, 2015
Download a tool called A-Trainer, and that will work for I think mainly firered and leafgreen, with the tool you can switch trainers pokemon and switch their attacks and what items the pokemon will hold or how many pokemon a trainer has (up to six pokemon) and stuff like that. :)

errr but how do i know which trainers r on which routes etc? like if i wanted to only change the trainers on route 2 how wld i find em to change em? a-trainer is great but idk where the ppl r that i change...and when i change the amount of pokemon they have it says repoint?

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
south69_dallas said:
errr but how do i know which trainers r on which routes etc? like if i wanted to only change the trainers on route 2 how wld i find em to change em? a-trainer is great but idk where the ppl r that i change...and when i change the amount of pokemon they have it says repoint?

Find the trainer you want to change in A-Map. Click on their sprite, then click "open script". This will open that trainer's script in xse.

Now look at the trainerbattle command in the script you just opened. The second hex number after it is the trainer's ID, which corresponds with the numbers in the "trainer selection" box of A-Trainer.

I think you can do the rest. :)

Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011
Hello!
I'm planning on replacing the HP bars, and some other stuff such as the background, in the battle scenes (FR hack). How would I go about doing this? What tools do I need, is there a tutorial somewhere? I have looked around the forum, no success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back