• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cello's guide to everything tile insertion/placement (HUGE Guide, Tips, FAQ)

sir.euge

Bunchies Back!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2012
Nice tutorial! Other tutorials are good too but this explains a lot.
Can I just paste the tile without 16 colors to the 16 colors instead of coloring it?
this is caused due to dithering. just uncheck that option when changing the color depth and your image wont have random dots all over it! this is probably what everyone is experiencing and they are probably forced to recolor their tiles

Xnenai

Developing Polyglot
Years
Great tut, I've definitely learned more from this than any other. I still have problems with my background color though...

Years
I'm having a problem here, I put all the palettes at the Advance Map, but because the palettes are not exact, I put the ones which are nearest to the original. Here's what happened: (When I put it in the tileset but I'm not inserting it yet, it looked fine)

Spoiler:
Well this is a problem I have too. I am sure I have the right tileset with the right pallette, with no more than 16 colors, all indexed, blah blah. However, it still ends up this freaky in the Block Editor (and in the maps too).

Did anyone already find the solution to this problem?

Blaze Orange

Lord of Blaze Castle
Years
I don't see why gale and photoshop are necessary. Why can't I just index with IrfranView, set the first color of the pallet to transparent, paste it over in paint, and then export the pallet as a .PAL file in IrfranViw.

Years
I don't see why gale and photoshop are necessary. Why can't I just index with IrfranView, set the first color of the pallet to transparent, paste it over in paint, and then export the pallet as a .PAL file in IrfranViw.

You can. At least that's the way I do it and it works fine up until I import the whole thing in Amap...

Years
Okay, I found out it's not GraphicsGale that saves palettes in a wrong way, instead it's A-map which interprets the colors completely wrong, hence the darkened colors. I have now kind of found a way to prevent AdvanceMap to ruin your palette. You should use .ACT as your palette saving format. Now, since neither GraphicsGale nor IrfanView are able to save palettes in .ACT format, you should first save the palette as .PAL. Next, open it up with this program: PaletteEditor (Direct Download) or any other palette editing program. Save the palette as .ACT and load it in A-map. As simple as that.

However, it doesn't really help as long as this happens...
Spoiler:

If someone knows/finds out how to fix this, I would really appreciate it. If I need to give more info or screens just say.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Okay, I found out it's not GraphicsGale that saves palettes in a wrong way, instead it's A-map which interprets the colors completely wrong, hence the darkened colors. I have now kind of found a way to prevent AdvanceMap to ruin your palette. You should use .ACT as your palette saving format. Now, since neither GraphicsGale nor IrfanView are able to save palettes in .ACT format, you should first save the palette as .PAL. Next, open it up with this program: PaletteEditor (Direct Download) or any other palette editing program. Save the palette as .ACT and load it in A-map. As simple as that.

However, it doesn't really help as long as this happens...
Spoiler:

If someone knows/finds out how to fix this, I would really appreciate it. If I need to give more info or screens just say.

There is a third option. As always... That happens because the tileset doesn't match the pal file.

Anyway, the third option is manually recolour all your new tiles to fit the pallette of the tileset (Ever heard of the Eyedropper and Eraser Trick?), and then Save it. Reload in Advance Map, and then change the Pallette.

Years
Maybe you can help me any further...? I recolored my custom tileset in the colors of Palette0 in Pallet Town trough importing the palette in GraphicsGale and thus generating a custom tileset in the colors of the default tileset in FireRed.
Then I imported the tileset in Amap, and the following happens: :paranoid:
Spoiler:

Any further action, like trying to edit the blocks, results in blank tiles and blocks, both in the maps as in the block-bank and tileset... (Most commonly in colors green, blue and black.) See picture few posts earlier.

It happens with every single tileset I import. Even when I load the default ingame tileset (which I had exported a second before) it crashes. I honestly think it is something with AdvanceMap, but on the other hand, many hackers succeeded in inserting custom tilesets...

PS: Could it be something with animated tiles? I have kept most animated tiles original, but not for example doors etc.. Could this be the problem?

PPS: Thanks to AdvancePaletteEditor by HackMew palette editing and inserting is no problem anymore whatsoever. However, the AdvanceMap .PAL format is distinctively different from the 'common' .PAL format. No other program than A-map accepts this different .PAL file.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Maybe you can help me any further...? I recolored my custom tileset in the colors of Palette0 in Pallet Town trough importing the palette in GraphicsGale and thus generating a custom tileset in the colors of the default tileset in FireRed.
Then I imported the tileset in Amap, and the following happens: :paranoid:
Spoiler:

Any further action, like trying to edit the blocks, results in blank tiles and blocks, both in the maps as in the block-bank and tileset... (Most commonly in colors green, blue and black.) See picture few posts earlier.

It happens with every single tileset I import. Even when I load the default ingame tileset (which I had exported a second before) it crashes. I honestly think it is something with AdvanceMap, but on the other hand, many hackers succeeded in inserting custom tilesets...

PS: Could it be something with animated tiles? I have kept most animated tiles original, but not for example doors etc.. Could this be the problem?

PPS: Thanks to AdvancePaletteEditor by HackMew palette editing and inserting is no problem anymore whatsoever. However, the AdvanceMap .PAL format is distinctively different from the 'common' .PAL format. No other program than A-map accepts this different .PAL file.

Not many use GraphicsGale. It isn't to do with Animations. It is probably how you are doing it. Try NOT using Graphics Gale, manually reolouring your new tiles to fit the old Tileset, loading that in Advance Map, and using the Pallette Editor in Advance Map to redo the pallette. I think the key mistake you are using is not using AdvanceMaps in-built pallette editor.

Before trying this method, redo yours, (Indexing the tileset, copy and pasting the new tile in), but do not change the pallette, then load the tileset in Advance Map, then do the pallette in Advance Map. If that doesn't work, then try the method I mentioned earlier.

Years
Before trying any of the methods above at all, I decided to try to follow Cello's tutorial precisely once more. And, I'm a bit embarassed to admit, it worked! :D I still don't know exactly what I did wrong, but I now found the method that completely works. Thanks for all your advice and help, BanjoraMaxville! Now I can finally work further on my hack! :)

shawn0173

Pokemon: Metallic Flames!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 7, 2013
in photoshop, when i try opening my .png file photoshop closes. why is this? how can i fix it?

shawn0173

Pokemon: Metallic Flames!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 7, 2013
yeah i start it, i click open, i select my image which is in .png then photoshop automatically closes, thats it. ill try reinstalling it. thanks

EDIT: reinstalling it didnt work :(

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2010
yeah i start it, i click open, i select my image which is in .png then photoshop automatically closes, thats it. ill try reinstalling it. thanks

EDIT: reinstalling it didnt work :(

can you see this .png image? if you cant see try new image!

TehHepticOne

Pokemon fanatic?!
Years
Hey guys,

I was justing following everything that the tut was tellimg me to do, but when I tried to open the palette file into A-Map There was an error popping up saying "AdvanceMapError(11): The File could not be open." Any ideas guys?

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Ok please help. im trying to learn. but when i open the block editer, there is no "pallete" section. so i cant import the palletes.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Ok please help. im trying to learn. but when i open the block editer, there is no "pallete" section. so i cant import the palletes.

The pallette section is one of those menus at the top. Sure it isn't there next to "Blocks" and "Picture"?

Back