• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

♠ The Art of RNG ♠ | RNG Guides [OLD]

Bring challenges back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
So...you check the encounter slot of the Pokemon you caught that isn't the Pokemon you wanted to catch and put it into the RNG Reporter (maybe that's where you put it in) with the Pokemon's IVs to find what frame you landed on instead of the frame that you had to land on? (Sorry if I'm incorrect)
And also...about the current challenge. I can use Pokemon that Team Rocket temporarily had, right? Not just the ones that are currently with Team Rocket?

You check it against what RNG reporter says, yes that is correct. Usually you'll be right around your target and you just adjust your calls from there.

And yes, you may use a Pokemon that was temporarily used by Team Rocket. If you want, even include a picture like I did! Makes it more fun, I think. xD

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
Years
Challenge completed!

pokemon1128.jpg

004.png
193.png
004.png

Yanma ♀ Lv. 1
OT: Mac | ID: 36152
Nature: Timid
Ability: Speed Boost
IVs: 31, 2, 31, 30, 30, 31 Ground 70
EVs: Untrained
Moves: Tackle, AncientPower, Hidden Power, Protect
Non-Redis

Jesse has a yanmega, not yanma. Wrong pic lol

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Jesse has a yanmega, not yanma. Wrong pic lol

That's what I get for being tired all the time! Thanks Johnny for pointing that out. I found a picture on Bulbapedia that had Jessie capturing Yanma (even though she's not pictured). So that'll do for now, I guess... even though I bred it D:

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Okay...but still, where would you put the information (Encounter slot and IVs, like what I said above)?
And also...if you got a seed from PokeRNG, if you were to use that seed, you would just put the seed on the main screen (the one with the method options), choose how the Pokemon's generated (method 1 or any other method), click Generate, hit the delay and time that you have to hit, advance the frames and then find the Pokemon you like to catch...right?
Secondly, I kinda already asked this, but I'll just say this again. How do you RNG Wonder Card Pokemon? I guess it's like most other RNG abuses...just get the seed you'd like to hit, get the Wonder Card, go to the Poke Mart to get the Pokemon you'd like later on, save, turn off, change the time to your target time - 1 full minute - the seconds, hit the right target time & delay, advance the frames, collect the Pokemon, check whether you got the result you wanted and if you got what you wanted, you're done. I'm sure I'm wrong (a bit). And I have an idea for two challenges...how about...
1. RNG a Pokemon owned by Ash and his friends (the list: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash's_friends)
2. RNG a Pokemon that was temporarily owned by someone (anyone's fine)

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Okay...but still, where would you put the information (Encounter slot and IVs, like what I said above)?
And also...if you got a seed from PokeRNG, if you were to use that seed, you would just put the seed on the main screen (the one with the method options), choose how the Pokemon's generated (method 1 or any other method), click Generate, hit the delay and time that you have to hit, advance the frames and then find the Pokemon you like to catch...right?
Secondly, I kinda already asked this, but I'll just say this again. How do you RNG Wonder Card Pokemon? I guess it's like most other RNG abuses...just get the seed you'd like to hit, get the Wonder Card, go to the Poke Mart to get the Pokemon you'd like later on, save, turn off, change the time to your target time - 1 full minute - the seconds, hit the right target time & delay, advance the frames, collect the Pokemon, check whether you got the result you wanted and if you got what you wanted, you're done. I'm sure I'm wrong (a bit). And I have an idea for two challenges...how about...
1. RNG a Pokemon owned by Ash and his friends (the list: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash's_friends)
2. RNG a Pokemon that was temporarily owned by someone (anyone's fine)

You really should read the guide Johnny posted a few times, it'll help you with a lot of the questions you're having. I've found it very useful myself. And I don't know how to RNG wondercards for 4th generation games.

Also, I like your ideas for challenges! Thanks a lot for submitting them.

Last edited:

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I completed the challenge, but instead of a specific Pokémon I did my trainer ID/SID for Pearl to get a few flawless shiny seeds. Pearl is the first game I learned to RNG on and it was the game that got me back into Pokémon after Emerald.

DP_Dawn.png

Rue | 16561​

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'm going to admit that for the first challenge since I know for a fact that you did it before the deadline. Just next time make sure you post before it expires!

My two latest RNG abuses:

004.png
43.png
004.png

Kanani (Oddish) ♀ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Modest
Ability: Chlorophyll
IVs: 31, 2, 31, 30, 31, 30 Fire 70
Moves: Absorb, Teeter Dance, Synthesis, Worry Seed
Non-Redis

004.png
77.png
004.png

Ponyta ♂ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Naive
Ability: Flash Fire
IVs: 30, 31, 31, 30, 31, 31 Grass 70
Moves: Tackle, Horn Drill, Hypnosis, Morning Sun
Non-Redis

These were both BPs ^^ woot, I'm glad I got them both done today.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I'm going to admit that for the first challenge since I know for a fact that you did it before the deadline. Just next time make sure you post before it expires!

My two latest RNG abuses:

004.png
43.png
004.png

Kanani (Oddish) ♀ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Modest
Ability: Chlorophyll
IVs: 31, 2, 31, 30, 31, 30 Fire 70
Moves: Absorb, Teeter Dance, Synthesis, Worry Seed
Non-Redis

004.png
77.png
004.png

Ponyta ♂ Lv. 1 ★
Nature: Naive
Ability: Flash Fire
IVs: 30, 31, 31, 30, 31, 31 Grass 70
Moves: Tackle, Horn Drill, Hypnosis, Morning Sun
Non-Redis

These were both BPs ^^ woot, I'm glad I got them both done today.
Tehehe. I will next time. x]

Nice RNGs. After I'm done with all my legends on all my 4th gen I'm going to move on to breeding/captures. xD I'm so behind right now. D:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014

Tehehe. I will next time. x]

Nice RNGs. After I'm done with all my legends on all my 4th gen I'm going to move on to breeding/captures. xD I'm so behind right now. D:

You better! You've got a lot to learn still, young lady. :3

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Well, I think I should read the guide (which I have, but I still don't really understand)...but still, there are some differences from HGSS RNG abuse and DPPt RNG abuse...like the absence of the Journal, the absence of the Poketch...and I'd rather read small things rather than a big ton of stuff that I don't even understand.

Sorry if this would just bring more problems...but that's me.

johnny18

Years
Well, I think I should read the guide (which I have, but I still don't really understand)...but still, there are some differences from HGSS RNG abuse and DPPt RNG abuse...like the absence of the Journal, the absence of the Poketch...and I'd rather read small things rather than a big ton of stuff that I don't even understand.

Sorry if this would just bring more problems...but that's me.
Based on what you post so far, I think that the small things that you try to read are the things that you understand the most so I think you need to focus on the big stuffs that you do not understand. Trying to study the differences will be pointless if you do not understand similar comcept of RNG in HGSS and D/P/Pl. Not trying to be mean, just want to give you advice. :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Okay, I think I'll take that in mind...
And I saw a page that made me understand about the whole Sweet Scent thing...and also gets me confused again.
It's this page: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/appendix_sweetscent
I looked it up and what got me confused was on finding your frame based on what Pokemon you encountered and also on finding your Actual Frame. How do you find your Actual Frame and how would you find your frame based on what Pokemon you encountered (would this link to finding your Actual Frame?) This is confusing for me...and I guess you'll just ask me to look up the page again.

EB

Re: World
Years
Finished the challenge! (Finally...)

200px-James_and_Yamask.png

Bag_Ultra_Ball_Sprite.png
562.gif

Yamask
male.png
| Level: 19
OT: eb | ID: 46682 | Game: White
Nature: Bold | Ability: Mummy | IVs: 31 31 31 31 31 31
EVs: Untrained | HP: Dark - 70
Disable | Haze | Night Shade | Hex
Non-Redis

=​

Did my best to find a Unova Pokémon--seeing as I've only been RNGing in Gen5--and this was the one I had available. (Also ironically a contender for my party, as I restarted my game for Tepig.)

johnny18

Years
Okay, I think I'll take that in mind...
And I saw a page that made me understand about the whole Sweet Scent thing...and also gets me confused again.
It's this page: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/appendix_sweetscent
I looked it up and what got me confused was on finding your frame based on what Pokemon you encountered and also on finding your Actual Frame. How do you find your Actual Frame and how would you find your frame based on what Pokemon you encountered (would this link to finding your Actual Frame?) This is confusing for me...and I guess you'll just ask me to look up the page again.

This is for all Wild Pokemon Encounters, not just ones brought about by sweet scent. First you must know the frame of the spread you encountered. You must also know the "Actual Frame" of the spread you encountered. The Actual Frame of a spread is the frame of the spread in Method 1. To find your current frame after the encounter, you must take the Actual Frame of the spread and add 6. That is your current frame.

*sign* It is in there but do not worry about it. This guide is an old one and we are not going to advance this way since it requires you to encounter a pokemon. Just do what you do, hit delays, advance the frame. That's all you need to know.

562.gif

Yamask
male.png
Non-Redis

=​

Did my best to find a Unova Pokémon--seeing as I've only been RNGing in Gen5--and this was the one I had available. (Also ironically a contender for my party, as I restarted my game for Tepig.)

Yay, gimme gimme gimme :D. Congrats anyway

Last edited:

EB

Re: World
Years
Oh and Mac, your OP has the current challenge still marked as "Challenge #1." @_@

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014

562.gif

Yamask
male.png
Non-Redis

=​

It's about damn time xD Congratulations! I think soon you will truly get a handle on this ;)

Oh and Mac, your OP has the current challenge still marked as "Challenge #1." @_@

Oh, I uhh... fixed that. Sorry.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Hey, lovelies. I'd like to join. :)

Stellar job to everyone trying to perform a feat beyond the casual gaming experience, stellar job to everyone successfully getting their desired target, and stellar job to everyone helping each other out.

In response to earth boy the other day!
Spoiler:

I kinda get what you're saying. People have different learning styles, true! There are whole-part learners (big picture then details) and part-whole learners (details then big picture).

However, I don't think any guides are taking interest in illustrating the big picture first because... All a beginner has to do is perform the steps. Only certain actions (e.g. journal flipping, app tapping, withdrawing, chatot listening) will accurately and consistently advance the IV RNG or the PID RNG. Only certain actions optimize the program. If the beginner isn't going step by step or is sidetracking from the guide, then he/she will encounter many problems. RNG abuse is pretty simple that if a beginner is describing everything, someone (experienced) can pinpoint what error the beginner is committing. Are you proposing an already-made FAQ saying "if you're doing this and you're getting this, you're error is ___" ? Maybe that can be in the works...

One could explain what's going on in the game. One could clarify every term or every concept. (The guides are overwhelming enough with the steps...) Even so, I often find that firsthand experience (mistakes included) are better ways for someone to learn something. I know that those who dived into RNG abused forgot really simple things (such as the MAC Address). It was already established in (at least my) guides that you gotta keep track of the unique MAC address. Oh boy, after an hour of failing at finding the parameters only to discover he's using the MAC address of the other DS, he sure didn't forget such a little detail ever again.

We just stress that beginners read everything and let the process sink in first. Try it out first. Yes, if it's taking forever with no results, they can gladly ask anyone for help.

Also, I don't use the term noob. You're all kittens! Soft... warm... cute... cuddly... You will grow up to be even more beautiful some day.

Hope this helped anyone in some way.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Hi Blade! Thanks for joining B) Your expertise is always most desired here so I hope this wasn't a one and done kind of deal. I hope to see some RNGs from you whenever you feel up to it. Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back