• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Enhanced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
I have opted to post Emerald Enhanced and the details about it in the Romhacks Showcase, as the game is now FEATURE COMPLETE Therefore, it should not be here in the sideshow any longer. I asked for this thread to be moved, so that the comments could be retained, but after being told it would be moved, then ghosted when it wouldn't, I gave up waiting. In the meantime, you can find this project in my discord here:

Discord Server (over 8000 members and counting!)
Discord

gdrive for patch:
Emerald Enhanced.bps

Last edited:

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
This looks great hope it gets completed soon good luck

Thanks. I'ts an ongoing project, I don't think there will be a point I can call it done. As new games come out, so do new features that I might want to add to my hack, you know?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 4, 2019
Hello!

First of all, I have to say that this hack looks very promising and I love both the design and the added features.

It appealed to me so much that I downloaded the game and began to document myself playing through in Nuzlocke mode. Everything went fine until I went up to 102 and began to battle the trainers. The game freezes in every single one of them, usually midway through the first turn.

At first I thought it might just be a minor bug with one or two trainers, but after avoiding all of them and proceeding to route 104, I encountered the exact same problem.

I had been looking forward to playing this game and am very bummed out that my hours of training have gone to waste.

If there is any way to fix this bug, I would much appreciate you let me know. (I am playing the game on a Macbook Air using mGBA v0.6.3)

Thank you in advance.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 17, 2023
Could you give us an early option to max out our IVs and methods to EV train our Pokémon? It would be nice to have this in more improvement hacks as a quality of life change.

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
Hello!

First of all, I have to say that this hack looks very promising and I love both the design and the added features.

It appealed to me so much that I downloaded the game and began to document myself playing through in Nuzlocke mode. Everything went fine until I went up to 102 and began to battle the trainers. The game freezes in every single one of them, usually midway through the first turn.

At first I thought it might just be a minor bug with one or two trainers, but after avoiding all of them and proceeding to route 104, I encountered the exact same problem.

I had been looking forward to playing this game and am very bummed out that my hours of training have gone to waste.

If there is any way to fix this bug, I would much appreciate you let me know. (I am playing the game on a Macbook Air using mGBA v0.6.3)

Thank you in advance.

There are several emulators that have trouble with my hack, and like to freeze. I only officially support mGBA. I have been having a little trouble tracing this issue, but I suspect that it's a result of the idle loop optimization I included. The Optimization fixes a lot of animation hitches, and vastly improves maximum emulation speed (using the speed up function of emulators)

When you download the new patch, your save file should still be compatible. I'd also not recommend a nuzlocke. I admire your bravery, but I haven't even been able to progress through the game without getting wiped out a few times normally, let alone with the added challenge of a nuzlocke. The general point of my hack is to provide an augmented, more challenging vanilla experience, which is also what the nuzlocke challenge started out as, doing both may provide a tad... infuriating.

Last edited:

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
Could you give us an early option to max out our IVs and methods to EV train our Pokémon? It would be nice to have this in more improvement hacks as a quality of life change.

Generally, IV's are just luck of the draw. I wanted to include a way to view EVs/IVs but my knowledge of the underlying C code is not such that I would be able to easily implement this. For now, all I can recommend is saving and softresetting to get a good starter, and catching a few of the pokemon you want to use, to find the best one you can.

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
This does look very interesting. Will yiubbe adding More side quests?
Probably. I'll be adding things as ideas hit me or are requested/suggested. I do have the ev/iv checker and training center added now, which was mentioned or asked for by people here. Feel free to join my discord if you'd like up to date patch notes and to make suggestions for the hack.

PkmnTrainerKonner

PkmnTrainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen yesterday
How do I patch with Beat? I tried patching Emerald with it and I keep getting an error.

Last edited:

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
How do I patch with Beat? I tried patching Emerald with it and I keep getting an error.

You have to patch a version 1.0 ROM of the game with my patch for it to work. How you get a version 1.0 rom is up to you, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
Hello. Is there anyway to download this game? Would like to try playing this game. Thanks .

You have to have a version 1.0 Pokemon Emerald ROM. Patch your ROM with the Emerald Enhanced.bps file found in the downloads section, and play it that way. I would love to just give a direct ROM download, but nintendo and PokeCommunity don't like that, so I can't.

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
Do the new Pokemon have their correct cries?

No, and, jusdging by you asking that specific question, I'm guessing you either tried it yourself, or have heard talks of it. The only way to put the original cries in requires a much more in depth series of hacks to make it work out, and I'm not an expert. Sorry.

PkmnTrainerKonner

PkmnTrainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen yesterday
Just out of curiosity why does this use a .bps patch and not a traditional .ups or .ips? I also still can't seem to find a 1.0 emerald rom...which I'm guessing isn't the TrashMan version?

Last edited:

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
Just out of curiosity why does this use a .bps patch and not a traditional .ups or .ips? I also still can't seem to find a 1.0 emerald rom...which I'm guessing isn't the TrashMan version?

I don't recall the full technical reason why the ips/ups patches don't work, but the issue with those, generally speaking, is that they work on comparing differences between roms with the same codebase.

My romhack is not so much a rom hack as it is a fully compiled custom rom, so there is no longer a common codebase between my ROM and the original Emerald Version rom. BPS Patches work on any files of the same size, regardless of codebase.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Well, I started playing your hack and i do like what you've done so far but my biggest concern would have to be the color of the foe's HP bar. It's very hard for me to actually figure out how much He it has after a battle because the purple (or dark blue) blends into the custom health bar you made. Also, while picking my starter, I could walk into grass without picking my starter while Birch was being chased.

Ryuhouji

Novice decomp ROMhacker
Years
Well, I started playing your hack and i do like what you've done so far but my biggest concern would have to be the color of the foe's HP bar. It's very hard for me to actually figure out how much He it has after a battle because the purple (or dark blue) blends into the custom health bar you made. Also, while picking my starter, I could walk into grass without picking my starter while Birch was being chased.

Yeah, it's because I removed the ledge that was normally there to block you and force you to walk into the grass. I took a lot of these out. Most people know to go to the bag, anyways. and if they don't, well, you get sent back home anyway. xD
If you're using a dark or night mode on your display, try reducing the strength of it, The Contrast for the HP bar isn't huge, but it's been fine for me. I'll look into adjusting it, anyways, since you pointed it out.
I recommend joining my discord to catch my latest features and planned features. I usually talk about them there. It's also a good place to post feedback.

Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2022
How do you choose which difficulty mode to play at the start? The screenshot doesnt really show and I tried interacting with all things in the van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back