• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Story in a Pokemon game with all regions

Years
  • Age 23
  • Asia
  • Seen Nov 21, 2019
I wanted to ask if a main series pokemon game is made with at least 4-5 regions in one, what can be the possible game story and charachter development, that would take place. Please do not take all the other possible flaws in consideration such as leveling up, gameplay time, etc. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm just asking for a plot which can be made with all regions. Please don't post that it won't happen and the other stuff

Last edited:
Years
There would be no story... at least, strictly speaking. Not a cohesive one, anyway.

I think what a lot of people tend to forget is that in Gen II, plot barely exists. The only reason why traveling to Kanto and Johto was as seamless as it was is because they both shared the same villainous team that you had to run into every time: Team Rocket. Other than that, going to Kanto was essentially a repeat of Johto -- beat up Gym Leaders and fight the Elite Four and become the Champion.

If there were ever one game with multiple regions, it can't have a cohesive story without spiraling into a hot mess. Unless all of these regions share the same evil team, same culture and everything else, I just can't see it working.

And if there's no story, there's no character development to go with the story. It'd just be a giant psuedo open-world Pokemon game where you do absolutely nothing but beat Gym Leaders left and right and fight multiple Elite Fours.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Asia
  • Seen Nov 21, 2019
There would be no story... at least, strictly speaking. Not a cohesive one, anyway.

I think what a lot of people tend to forget is that in Gen II, plot barely exists. The only reason why traveling to Kanto and Johto was as seamless as it was is because they both shared the same villainous team that you had to run into every time: Team Rocket. Other than that, going to Kanto was essentially a repeat of Johto -- beat up Gym Leaders and fight the Elite Four and become the Champion.

If there were ever one game with multiple regions, it can't have a cohesive story without spiraling into a hot mess. Unless all of these regions share the same evil team, same culture and everything else, I just can't see it working.

And if there's no story, there's no character development to go with the story. It'd just be a giant psuedo open-world Pokemon game where you do absolutely nothing but beat Gym Leaders left and right and fight multiple Elite Fours.

I appreciate your thoughts but i asked to ignore all the other problems it might face.

Years
I appreciate your thoughts but i asked to ignore all the other problems it might face.

there would be no game story or character development because it'd be nearly impossible

unless you were to pull a kanto/johto and have all regions share similar characters as i mentioned. in that case the story and character development would be similar to those games o.o

unless the region was just... made up of 4 other smaller regions that are connected to each other but that's a whole 'nother thing.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think it could be possible, but it'd require Game Freak to not put out a game every year or two and probably need them to deviate from their formula as well....which, uh, isn't likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I assume something about a big fan of Pokemon who want to step in the shoes of every big trainer/champions before him/her: our trainer could have the goal of completing every leagues in every regions.

I admit this looks more like a plot for an old Pokemon game, where the plot wasn't as elaborate as now and it was just about capture, train and battle.

I don't know if my idea is that clear?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Asia
  • Seen Nov 21, 2019
I think it could be possible, but it'd require Game Freak to not put out a game every year or two and probably need them to deviate from their formula as well....which, uh, isn't likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.

I am again mentioning to ignore the reality, we all know it will never gonna happen. Purpose of this thread is to find how would the story will go if it happens. Hope you understand :)

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Most games right now have gym/mock gyms and a evil villain. So it would probably be something along those base lines, a collectible quest + evil team(s) + mascot legendary. It's hard to predict what kind of specific plot and character progression would be in it.

But 4-5 regions of gyms/mock gyms? Sounds unlikely. Maybe in other regions the player is visiting for whatever reason, maybe chasing a legendary or running an errand for a prof. and not actually challenging the gyms there. Because dozens of gyms seems a bit too much.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I mean, if you just ignore reality and boil it all down to "what could the story be in a multi-region game?" then the answer is "basically anything you want".

But for me, in a multi-region Pokemon game I guess I'd kind of like to have an open world sort of game that focuses on exploration and lore and doesn't really have the linear get badge/defeat villain team/capture box legendary plotline that the series always has had.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
An open would Pokemon could be done on the Switch, but Game Freak isn't that creative or high risk.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Open world sounds REALLY cool.

Plot-wise... I suppose Team Rocket launching a global attack and teaming up with all other teams. You need to take down an evil team in each region andddd THEN once you do: you face an ultimate evil team to save the world. Ez.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 2, 2023
Open world sounds REALLY cool.

Plot-wise... I suppose Team Rocket launching a global attack and teaming up with all other teams. You need to take down an evil team in each region andddd THEN once you do: you face an ultimate evil team to save the world. Ez.

cool.

Years
For a multi region plot, the only way I can see it working is to have it use the spin off regions but keep the main game mechanics of battling and catching Pokemon, therefore creating a new experience in familiar environments.
We already have Orre, the Pokken region and the ranger game regions, so it could be more that the Player character is on a holiday in Fiore, then circumstances lead to them teaming up with the Rangers and capture Pokemon (the normal way) in order to investigate Pokemon acting weirdly.

After going to all 3 ranger regions, the Ranger Union find a potential link with past events in Orre, and so you and some Top Rangers are sent to find out if the culprits are from Orre. Eventually, you go to the Pokken region where the evil masterminds are starting to act out their plot in order to save the people and Pokemon there and stop the villains.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 14, 2018
in my dream i ask the late kojima to make me an open world games based on pokemon adventures manga but all the pokemon cries was voice by david hayter and most of the time we are allowed to sneak past enemies who consist of nanomachine enhanced child soldiers, white blood cyborg and some giant mechanize unit they called metal gear.

I think people are too negative as to how a plot could unfold throughout several different regions. I could imagine a game that starts out in one new region, featuring a new villainous team that you run into a few times on your quest to become the champion. It's a pretty straightforward game up until you beat the elite four.

Once you're the champion, the evil team ramps up their activity and starts becoming a bigger threat. As the newly elected champion, it becomes your job to stop them. Their plan is to create some sort of ultimate legendary Pokemon, and their quest to create this Pokemon means they expand their search to different regions; maybe they need a rock from Mt. Moon, a meteor from Meteor falls, and an artifact from the Sinnoh region relating to time/space. Visiting these regions could be very different from their original games, as many years has gone by. You'll get to see familiar faces from the old games, maybe team up with old Gym leaders and other protagonists Rivals.

I don't like the idea that all the old teams come back. If they're already rehashing regions, then rehashing the old teams would be a bit too uninspired, but maybe just a cameo or a secret boss battle against the old Team leaders would be cool.

Years
Would be pretty cool to have a Pokemon game where you just go through all the regions and become the league champion of each, I wouldn't care for an expanded story after the first two or so regions and would be happy with side quest type things that we saw in Kanto when we visited in GSC/HGSS I think that would be enough. Of course it would get repetitive, but ignoring all problems I would be happy just having a modern 3D Pokemon game, with stuff following you and in the overworld, with every region we can dream right haha

Back