• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autism

Years
Autism is a just a condition that makes people harder to socialize due to impaired social interaction, though unfortunately many people have wrong perception of what autism really is. Some people think autism is mental retardation due to some stereotypes that revolve around autism which simply isn't true.

I'm only posting here mainly because I agree with what Starlight has said. I believe that a majority of pokemon fans are somewhere on the spectrum, and why is that? Because of what she just said:

Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon has Asperger's syndrome.
Because the creator of Pokemon has autism, majority of Pokemon fans are on the autism spectrum? Could you care to elaborate on that?

Last edited:

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
I agree with Seattle. It's been wrongly stereotyped as mental retardation. Although, a condition that makes people harder to socialize due to impaired social interaction is just a trait that autism specter diseases share. I have Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder and it's not all about social interaction.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
The only thing I wish would stop (besides misdiagnosis and stigma) is speculative diagnosis. Like posthumously diagnosing famous people is obnoxious because you really can't know for sure so knock it off.
omfg this is almost as bad as 13 year old kids wanting attention and self diagnosis on deviantart... guh

I think comparisons aren't necessary, no matter what the condition is. Whether it's because someone has Asperger's, deaf-blindness, being of a different race, etc. It just stands out among the crowd when someone overcomes a world of people that aren't like that and makes something more of things despite odds being against them, but when it all comes down to it, we're all human beings.

Basically, I wouldn't compare someone with autism to Temple Grandin and expect everyone with autism to be like her, but I wouldn't look past her accomplishments. Those accomplishments are her's, and they're something inspiring to people, autistic or not. But it doesn't mean everyone with autism is gonna do the same. If they do, that's great. If they don't, that's great. As long as you're you, what's wrong with that?

Did I make an ounce of sense? :( I feel like I got off track, haha.
I'm gonna seriously disagree with you here, just because I think the problem with people like Grandin (with absolutely no fault to herself) is that people who don't suffer from her end up turning to people like her to figure out WTF IS WRONG WITH MY KID?!1 (which, again, I've seen happen and it's pretty terrible and disgusting). I honestly have no problem with having an idol but nobody should act like, well, just because Grandin was successful you should look to her for success. It's like blindies and Stevie Wonder. Gonna say this the nicest way possible but I do not know a single blindie that likes Stevie Wonder at all (and I know quite the handful), but the general public looks up to him like he should be the blind messiah or something. Sure, both overcame their challenges but our challenges and theirs are completely different - everyone lives an independent, unique situation, moreso with Autism than even blindness.

I'm an admittedly peculiar example. I don't really fit the archetype of a "typical autistic person" people, but when it's there, it's THERE. I'm one of those autistics that has very well developed traits in one area while others may be absent. For example, I don't have problems with speech (although I was a little slow), but I have extreme difficulty holding a conversation with most people. I don't have a problem with facial expressions but faces simply do not register with me. Unlike Grandin, who has openly stated that she doesn't seek companionship, I do, and this gives me challenges that Grandin would never face. Most autistics (including myself) shy away from others but I've met people who have tried to be social (and failed miserably), which presents challenges that I will never understand, since I don't really like to hang out with people socially. All in all, it's such a mixed bag that one can't say, oh because this one person managed to do it you can to!... because they might not in that way.

All in all, life is all about figuring out your own path. Everyone, autistic, blind, wheel-chair bound or none of these has their own challenges that they must face. Nobody can just say, oh well Grandin/Wonder/Whoever did it, it's about YOU doing it. And when I learned that I realized how powerful I was and how wonderful I was and how wonderful everyone else is, and how people simply need to tap into their own hidden talent. If anything, these role models are simply examples of people who managed to figure it out as opposed to the many who haven't.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
How is that disagreeing with me, though? That's basically what I was trying to say. :/ I'm sorry if it came across wrongly to you. I made it clear that I felt I may have expressed it oddly (I have trouble getting my thoughts across clearly at times), but you've basically said what I meant, unless I've missed something here.

Because the creator of Pokemon has autism, majority of Pokemon fans are on the autism spectrum? Could you care to elaborate on that?

I think it needs to be reworded, really. Like I said earlier, I think that the way Pokemon is set up and such makes it more appealing to those on the spectrum. I don't think she meant it in a way that sounds as...generalizing as you restated it, haha.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well maybe I just don't understand :s Sorry.

Nooo, it's okay! That's what these threads are for anyway, cause we get to post our opinions and understand others. Like I said, I'm not too good at explaining myself anyway, so what you responded with basically says what I was trying to say, just with more length and clarity. :P No harm done!

^I guess that clear things up. Man, that was some really poor wording, though, no offense.

Yeah, I'm sure she didn't mean for it to be though. As we're learning in this thread, we sometimes get miscommunication and lack of clarity. :P It happens!

Years
I think one of the issues there are nowadays is, that the parents see this kind of child as a freak or something that is socially unacceptable. Probably because they never expect their kid to turn up like that. Some people think just because you've got a clear heritage, that every generation that follows will turn out to be fine. I'm currently taking genetics and learned that this occurs when there is a mutation in the sequence of the DNA, which causes an alteration in the brain cells. It doesn't matter how much you deny it, even with all the technology there is to this day; there's no sure-way to determine if your child will be born 100% healthy. What they can determine and examine, is how the baby is developing itself inside the mother.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think that we should respect those with autism and not use the illness or those who have it (the word autistic )as a derogatory term, I say the same for all the other terms used to describe a group of people being used in such a manner (be it the N word, or gay, etc.).

Now as for people using it as an excuse...some proably due just like with other illnesses but I'm certain it's a small minority. As a aspiring educator I believe teachers and parents should take these concerns seriously. If the student isn't paying attention then one should try to talk to the child's parents and the child himself to see how they can help them out. We should throw away these misconceptions and "single-stories" we have of autistic people and try to get to know them. Personally I've never meet one, but if I did I would treat them like any other, with the respect and dignity they deserve.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I have Autism, and I hate all those dumb arguments about "What is Autism" from mainstream people.
I hate it even more to hide myself behind it.

Every time I go on the Internet, it's like:
Person 1: *Makes joke about having a rhino as a pet*
Person 2: "Won't it attack you"?!
Person 1: "I was joking".
Person 2: "I have Autism, so I thought it was real".

We live in a world nobody knows you have Autism, and we all use the Internet, a place nobody even cares about you having Autism.
When I was a teenager, I didn't understand how people could be rude about that, but in the end, I learned to deal with it.
It's easier to adjust yourself to the world, than to make the world adjust to you.

The truth is, I'm a bit different from most Autistic people, as I tend to be spontaneous, and I simply suck at scheduling something.
Also, I usually understand jokes, and I make lots of jokes myself too.
However, I'm not good at having a social contact in real life, at all.
I actually sense a lot of hate from other people about me, mostly in real life, but it happens on the Internet too.
I'm only not sure if it's a feeling caused by Autism, or if it really is like that, though.

Back