• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Which generation was your first?

Years
The 1st generation was the one that I started with in terms of the anime and the TCG, but I didn't own any of the games until the 2nd gen (I got Gold for my 10th birthday).

As for which generation I grew up with, I find it a little hard to pinpoint one over another. I was absolutely hooked on everything apart from the games during the first and early second generation, so I guess that could be part of my answer. On the other hand, even though I had Gold (and Yellow for a while), Sapphire is when I really started getting into the games, so I guess I grew up with those as well.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
First Generation. Obviously it was the first generation I was introduced to Pokemon in general (the anime, the games, etc). However it was the 2nd generation that solidified my interest in it. :3

Warship

異議あり!
Years
4th gen. pearl was my first game and i was excited as hell when it got shipped from amazon though i saw my friends playing fire red on their gba's a few years prior to that then a friend of mine showed me her diamond version and i wanted to try it and here i am :)

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
Years
G/S/c

I loved the anime and remember watching all first episodes. I can't really remember not loving pokemon. I'd watch it, draw pokemon, play with pokemon toys, have imaginary pokemon to play with, but nobody ever told me there were GAMES! I was 7/8 when my uncle game me pokemon silver. I loved that game, but sucked at it. About a year later I got Ruby and Sapphire,Firered and leafgreen and then Emerald which was the first game I ever actually finished. (I had a thing about restarting my games all the time)

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'm actually proud to say that I started playing Pokemon around the time of GSC. My cousin gave me my first ever Pokemon Game on the GBC, being Gold and I was hooked on Pokemon since. (Excluding the fact that I was introduced to the TCG waaay before that.)

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
My very first game was Silver. A very vivid memory tagged along with it as well: I had a level 70+ Fearow, a level 50+ Feraligatr and five other level 2-3 team members at the Pokemon league. Lolol.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
First. For me it has always been a video game series before anything else.
Though the TCG always appealed, I've still never played it proper.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Gen I for me! I got into the anime right away and the TCG a bit later. But I didn't actually start playing until Gen III with Emerald. And honestly, I was so against it at first- didn't like the 'mon, didn't know the region, was quite against it because I blamed Hoenn as a whole for Misty leaving lmfao. My first playthrough was a mess- my brother's friend did a lot of it for me because he was a bit controlling and I was baffled- but my second was amazing and wow I do remember the exact moment I fell in love with Gen III and Pokémon as a game series. <3

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
The first generation was mine, it barely seems as long ago as it was. Me and my brother got Pokemon Blue and Red respectively, and we would always play together. On days in the afternoon, new episodes of Indigo League would come on Heck, I still remember going to see Pokemon: The First Movie and getting special TCG cards for it. Those certainly were good days.

I have to say, looking back, 4Kids put a TON of work into the localization of that season. For all of the bad things you would expect them to do, they did a lot of good for the Indigo League (as well as seasons 2 and 3).

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Gen I here. I grew up playing Blue version while my twin brother played Red version. We would trade, battle, and mess around with the link cable (like disconnecting it during a battle just to see what would happen lol) all the time. The two of us would get the opposite version, but he finally stopped playing in Gen IV. Now, I just buy all/most of the main versions myself.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I was a baby when the Pokemon anime came out, so Gen I introduced me to Pokemon, but I did not get any of the games until Gen IV, my first game being Pokemon Diamond. (Not counting the times I "borrowed" my little brother's Sapphire and Pearl)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Sapphire was my first Pokemon game, and after I finished it I begged my parents to get me Emerald. I later went back a generation and got Gold, Crystal, and Yellow. I remember also very distinctly playing Mystery Dungeon frequently :) I think I got into Pokemon a couple years before Gen 4.

Back