• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You can access gen 4 and 5 mystery gifts through a DNS code!

User Anon 1848

The DNS code you want to use for the mystery gifts is this one: 164.132.44.106

https://youtu.be/ivlzqEMqhD4

Go nuts guys

If you want more information on everything here is an updated link, showing everything from error fixes to the pokemon you can get and the games they come from. https://www.shacknews.com/article/108512/how-to-unlock-gen-4-and-5-pokemon-mystery-events-in-2018

And this is a link to the man in the video, who also wrote the Shacknews article on it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/a1hb34/z/eaqimma

This is a different DNS server than the event server

Also, here's a server for GTS trades http://pkmnclassic.net/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/a1hb34/theres_a_new_bug_that_allows_the_ds_pokémon_games/

This came to light at the end of 2018 but I just discovered it now and couldn't find a thread on here about it. How cool! My biggest gripe with playing older games is not being able to access events and Mythical Pokemon. Have any of you heard about this and gotten it to work? I'm going to try it on Soul Silver and Black version soon. I pray that the DNS server stays up for years to come since it adds so much replay value to these games. You can trade through the GTS too. This is an amazing discovery. Wish I found out about it sooner.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I know from experience the Gen 5 one works, however it seems like depending on where you live you only get certain mystery events. Gen 4 doesn't work at all unless you have an old router with a WEP key. Which unless you haven't updated your router in the last 10 years, you're going to have a bad time.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i never messed around with wifi in gen IV as i didn't have the proper connection back then. gen V on the other hand, i had a field day with it. if i'm not mistaken, i used glitches with the DNS servers to get genesect, meloetta, keldeo, and...accidentally got a shiny porygon-z through it once which hey, i'm not mad about. idk how i did that or RNG abuse back then bc i'm not good at like. stuff. ya know. so i probably won't mess around with this, but this is great news for anyone still looking for that experience.

Years
This works very easily with Gen V games, worked for me no problem on White 2.

There's a workaround for Gen IV games if you have a newer router. Essentially you hotspot your phone, share that connection with a laptop, then connect to laptop with your 3DS. When I shared the connection with my laptop I had to go open connection since the only security was WPA which won't work. Little risky but WEP is garbage anyway.

I got this to work on Pearl and SoulSilver, got Celebi and Shiny Pichu to trigger the events in SS, very cool. I used my Iphone 8 and my Macbook so I'm not sure if it works with any other combinations.

This is the 'in-depth' thread on it. https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/a26wki/iphone_no_wep_router_error_52100_solution_for_the/

If anybody wants to try this with their iphone and macbook and has any questions let me know and I can walk you through it.

User Anon 1848

Bummed to hear that you need an old router or laptop to access gen 4 events. :/

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I tried this a month ago, but I had trouble connecting, unfortunately. =/ I'm probably going to try again at the library and try to get mystery gifts from the past that way, since my library's connection is unlocked and not encrypted.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
Now this is awesome. It might be old news, but I had no idea about it until just now. Preservation of these events is something that needs more attention. Whether or not they're official or sanctioned through Game Freak/Nintendo doesn't matter. It's the availability and accessibility of them that does. Pokémon is a cultural phenomenon, and there's not much like tons of people crowding up for an event (in person or otherwise) to get their hands on a special or exclusive creature.

I never played the Gen V games, but knowing that I'll be able to access these events should I get to them in the future is a blessing. Props to everyone who made this possible!

Years
I was really excited to get the Gen 4 events but unfortunately, I'm unable to do so. I don't have a dinosaur router or anything, rip. At least I had fun getting some of the Gen 5 events, though.

Years
For those with a newer router, you can also go into your router settings (type your router's IP address into your browser's search bar) and change your security parameters from WPA to WEP. Though I wouldn't leave at WEP for very long.

Or, if you have a mobile phone, try hotspotting it's data connection. If it lets you choose WEP security or an open connection you should be able to connect to it with your DS. If not, try connecting to it with a laptop/pc that lets you share the connection to make it either WEP or open. This is what I did with my iPhone 8 & Macbook, worked flawlessly.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
I might try this later on just for the fun of it. I have all the major event Pokemon from Gen 4 already and even the ones from Gen 5 that I don't have like the Shiny Genesect and Movie 16 Mewtwo are kind of meh. But it'll be cool to have a reason to play my Gen 5 games again.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 31, 2019
I cant change my wpa security settings so i only have the hotspot option. Ive tried using the iphone hotspot but it says "the access point's security settings are not supported by the nintendo ds. Also i am not sure what you meant by connecting to laptop/pc to share the connection and make the connection either wep or open. I would greatly appreciate your help on how to proceed, thanks.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 11, 2019
Does this still work? I am using my phone for a hotspot and the connection test is successful and I changed the DNS, but when I search for a gift it says Nintendo services are discontinued.

Years
I don't have a gen 4 or 5 game (but I secretly want B2 or W2 though i'll never get it), but I have a question...if I were to ever get a gen 4 or 5 game, will these gift Pokemon be considered...hacked? Please answer honestly.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
Years
This still works since I tried it on White and White 2 a couple of days ago. I also tried it on SoulSilver and Platinum earlier today, although it's harder to set up since I have to remove my router's security settings. I accessed the Wifi Plaza in those two Gen 4 games using this trick, although it was pointless since there wasn't anyone in there. The Gen 4 GTS is accessible using this method as well, but I found no Pokemon for trade while using the service.

It's just too bad that the Wonder Cards aren't legal and are just hosted on an unofficial server.

Last edited:
Back