• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Saiken (UPDATE! New Year's Eve. Happy 2015!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2015
This hack looks amazing . I like the GSC style graphics . Is it like that because you wanted to test to see if it could be done or is it done like that because fire red is easier to hack than GSC and but you wanted to give it that feel ? Either way , I'm definitely going to follow this hack closely , due to its uniqueness and potential . With that , I wish you the best of luck and a great hack !

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
This hack looks amazing . I like the GSC style graphics . Is it like that because you wanted to test to see if it could be done or is it done like that because fire red is easier to hack than GSC and but you wanted to give it that feel ? Either way , I'm definitely going to follow this hack closely , due to its uniqueness and potential . With that , I wish you the best of luck and a great hack !

Interesting question! Actually, is more or less both of them. Many years ago I tried to make a Pokémon Gold Rom Hack, but I was too limited and it bothered me. I still wanted to do a rom hack with a retro feeling, but I couldn't get used to work with the Gen II rom, so I gave up. So, it's more like I work on FireRed because GSC is too limited without having experience in advanced programming for what I want to do, even if it's on a retro style. And because i think it's cool, for some reason. Dunno why, haha

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Another GSC graphics. I really like le trainer sprites! :) Realized that hacks like this are just too damn awesome.

Near~

The End is Near...
Years
Huh... I just saw a couple of hacks with GBC graphics on another forum x) Is this a new tend?
I mean for one: You can make a GBC game with better scripts and ASM because its base is FR. I hope you plan on this :) It would make it even better than the ones I saw, looks great I will follow this hack ;)

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
Hey guys! Finally some news. I'm sorry for the loooong time without updates, but as I said before I only work on this in my spare time.

So, here we go:

f2fec62ef3.PNG

The first screenshot is the first thing you'll see when you boot the game. Also, minisprites! I added some from GSC and made the minisprite for the heroine. We have some dialogues too.

edc2bdd1ac.PNG

First screenshot: Title Screen. Yeah, it's part of the plot. Third and fourth screenshots are some pop culture references I plan to add on the game. Nothing too flashy, but fun to the ones who like the same things as me!

ad2a02583a.PNG

More minisprites and dialogue. The Town Map is already in the game, and I changed the name of the region from Fantas to エシピ (ESHIPI).

81be355289.PNG

Just showing more the heroine minisprite.

I also made a Userbar for anyone who wants to support the rom hack:

3cd08d1402.png

So... I want help. It's very dull to make all by myself (mainly because almost EVERYTHING is made from scratch and/or have to be inserted in the place of the gba graphics). So, if you are willing to help me to insert some graphics on the rom, PM me. Thanks! I hope this update satisfied you all.​

Reject217

Great Pokémon Reject
Years
I can't believe I overlooked this D:

This looks like a really good hack. I can't wait to play it. I do hope you get help with this, as this seems like a really good project. Good luck and do what you do best!

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
I really want to play this! Imagine if gamefreak didnt update the graphics of pokemon and maintained their gsc style graphics.. Im 100% sure that it'd look like this..

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2021
It looks so beautiful!!!
the game looks very interesting. It's a very unique idea to make this kind of game.
I want to download it so badly... ≥⌂≤

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
LOL, I was confused at first... How a GB hack is based on FR! But Its such amazing! mad skills! Thank you so much for this awsome hack! make sure to finish It! ;)

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
Years
I love the fact that the story is so emotionally binding. I really hope the player can get really attached to the characters in the storyline, but I don't have any doubts about that. The graphics just make me feel like playing Gold again, it's just too epic! Hope this turns out the way you want it to be, good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
I love the fact that the story is so emotionally binding. I really hope the player can get really attached to the characters in the storyline, but I don't have any doubts about that. The graphics just make me feel like playing Gold again, it's just too epic! Hope this turns out the way you want it to be, good luck!

That commentary makes me happy. No specific reason, haha. Thanks!

UPDATE:

fbedfc6fd2.PNG

Now we have TextBox! Still no GSC font, though.

926ded7667.PNG

Ralts, Kirlia and Gardevoir fully on the ROM. Ralts is the Pokémon the professor gives to you. All the sprites were devamped by me.

bb625c83b3.PNG

BASED RATTATA. Not sure if i already showed Taillow. Oh, decapitalization too. Still working on giving the battle a GSC feeling.

cab27f57e4.PNG

I'm updating some maps with more details. I noticed that they had A LOT of empty areas, and even if overall they look good, they were boring. Like RBYG/GSC maps in GBA scale.

d8f597f82d.PNG

The rival! I'm still thinking in a name for her. Suggestions are welcome.

And... Here's a video, showing 8-bit music. Still WIP, the noise needs some adjustments. English is not my native language, so if you see any grammar error, please tell me!

(The maps are outdated in this video.)

What do you guys think? Fell free to say anything!

anaphysik

Wahahahahawntah~!
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2019
Actually, I liked the FRLG text boxes with the GSC maps :/. They meshed well, a good mix of old and new. (And they were easier on the eyes. Gen II graphics always look nice, but its text can be pretty harsh.)

Dxys

Pkmn. Trainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Aug 30, 2014
Maybe the rival's name can be Makoto. ;) Oh, and I can see a lot of progress in those screenshots. They're good lookin.

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
I was about to say that gsc font are great but those screenies showing textboxes dont really need the gsc font. They really look good together! Also about the names, it would be cool if the girl was named "sai" and the boy as "ken". Its just a thought though.

Hitsushiro

someone
Years
I understand that there is no running sprites. But it the animation looks really weird, and if it were me I would take running out entirely. Plus, that would stick to the retro line you're aiming for.

Apart from that... The music is so nostalgic... it's awesome. Hope to see more work from you~

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
I was about to say that gsc font are great but those screenies showing textboxes dont really need the gsc font. They really look good together! Also about the names, it would be cool if the girl was named "sai" and the boy as "ken". Its just a thought though.

These are good suggestion, although they already have names. The name I need is for the rival, but i can consider changing them to yours

Actually, I liked the FRLG text boxes with the GSC maps :/. They meshed well, a good mix of old and new. (And they were easier on the eyes. Gen II graphics always look nice, but its text can be pretty harsh.)

I think just the font is enough, like Splash said. Maybe I can put a download with the FLRG TextBox, when I release the Beta

I understand that there is no running sprites. But it the animation looks really weird, and if it were me I would take running out entirely. Plus, that would stick to the retro line you're aiming for.

Apart from that... The music is so nostalgic... it's awesome. Hope to see more work from you~

The running shoes were probably introduced because the proportion of the maps on the 3rd gen is bigger than the 1st/2nd. My maps are based on 3rd gen's proportions, so I think the running shoes fit. Is the animation so weird? I thought it was a bit fast, but nothing too serious. I'll change the Mom's script to give you a choice, take the running shoes or not. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back