• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

20 children, 6 Adults dead in Connecticut elementary school shooting

Years
This was an appalling tragedy, especially given it was elementary school students.

Though what's really setting off serious alarm bells and what strikes me as to what is really being swept under the rug is the fact that easy and affordable access to psychological and psychiatric help is very, very poor in the United States. The shooter in almost every single mass shooting incident that I've been aware of happening in my lifetime in the US has been mentally unstable in some way, shape, or form. What's needed at the core is far, far better access to psychological and psychiatric help (state-supported if necessary), as well as large-scale education that it's okay to seek help for your mental issues.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
The first time I heard about the new was yesterday afternoon when I turned on the radio. And it hit me really, really hard. Never better has something this traumatic has struck me like this. How could anyone with a right mind (though he probably was psychopathic) shoot up a elementary school and kill innocent children?It just hits me so deep and I can't comprehend how sad I feel for those parents and friends of the victims Even hours later it's still a bit hard to get over. It's probably gonna be stuck with me for the rest of the day today.My heart and prayers go out to the victims' families and loved-ones.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Funny you should mention that, a mentally ill man in China went to a school and attacked 22 kids(and 1 adult was also wounded) with a knife(no one died).

As for tasers, you can kill people with heart conditions so they're out of the question. And getting rid of guns won't help thanks to the black market, the world is filled with greed and power no matter where you look. :/

I also feel sorry for the kid who was falsely labeled as the shooter, and the families of kids who news stations wanted to interview about what happened.

Yes there would be a black market, but generally speaking in reply to some of the people in this thread, you make it sound as if it's still extremely easy to obtain guns illegally. There is a higher chance you'll never go through all the effort required, or you'll be caught midway through it. It's not as easy as searching on Yahoo answers where to find gun. It's something that will never be completely stopped, but extremely hindered.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Illogical people do illogical things

Illogical people yes. But it also takes some logic to kill yourself because you think "oh, I don't want to be punished for this". Which is why I believe the suicide mass murderers are not human, at least are the lowest kind to walk the earth. If someone was truly illogical they'd not be aware of what they're doing and its consequences.

At least the sicko is dead. I doubt any state appointed lawyers would even consider defending him.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
You can always try to maximize the the gun control anywhere, but illegal gun distribution will always exist and that's something we can't really control.

Oh and btw, the highest rate of murder are commited with... tada, white arms weapon. Since it's the most easiest form of weapon ANYONE can procure.

droomph

weeb
Years
You can always try to maximize the the gun control anywhere, but illegal gun distribution will always exist and that's something we can't really control.

Oh and btw, the highest rate of murder are commited with... tada, white arms weapon. Since it's the most easiest form of weapon ANYONE can procure.

tada

Yes there would be a black market, but generally speaking in reply to some of the people in this thread, you make it sound as if it's still extremely easy to obtain guns illegally. There is a higher chance you'll never go through all the effort required, or you'll be caught midway through it. It's not as easy as searching on Yahoo answers where to find gun. It's something that will never be completely stopped, but extremely hindered.

generally speaking if we make it available legally, people go on impulses, similar to say buying twenty dresses you don't need. But say, the black market takes quite a while if not impossible for most of the "impulse buyer" demographic, and the impulse buyers will have to think about it before getting one to squeeze a round off.

As for the planned ones where they have thought about it and planned it out (like the Virginia Tech one), try helping them with counseling and non-sarcastic (I emphasize the non-sarcastic part very strongly) care from a trained professional.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The first time I heard of this I was in my room reading a book when my mom called me over to tell me what happened. When I first heard their was a shooting at a school I thought it was a high school, I never imagined this kind of thing could happen in an Elementary school. I feel for the families, I hope the victims rest in peace and that God will help those who lost love ones.

I beleive we should place limits on automative weapons, they don't have much use if any at all in scenes other than war. Though yesterday there was also a guy in China who slashed 22 kids with a knife so we can only do so much to stop such heinous murders.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
I'm going to use an overused quote here: "Guns don't kill people, people with guns kill people."

The solution to this is better access to psychological services and better screening for people that may go out and do stuff like this. If someone is truly messed up enough to want to shoot a bunch of people, they are going to shoot them and there isn't really anything anyone can do about it. Better psych services will serve to get those spur-of-the-moment people who are angry and need a way to let them out.

I would like to point out the irony that how gun control laws were under debate and then dropped, and all of a sudden there's a shooting in a movie theater, and then a bunch of kids get shot. That's just the cynic in me though.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
All in all, despite the tragedy, I'm glad to see that everyone in the effected community is bonding together, rather than going into hysteria. I'm quite impressed with the response of the police, and the courage of the kids as they evacuated.

And quite frankly, I'd like to point out that mostly everyone in the actual town is saying to shut up about gun control and focus on the families. Nobody don't need politics right now, especially those it touched directly.

No one is really content with the fact that the town is being put on the map for having children murdered senselessly for no adequate reason.

I feel weird being so shaken up about it, considering I live in Connecticut.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
And quite frankly, I'd like to point out that mostly everyone in the actual town is saying to shut up about gun control and focus on the families. Nobody don't need politics right now, especially those it touched directly.
It isn't politics.

Thoughts, prayers, and hugs are very important in establishing a sense of comfort, normalcy, and stabilization for the local community in such a traumatic situation. Effective and necessary tools, but they don't offer solutions.

Every time there's a mass shooting, people go "now is not the time to talk about this". And then when they're done mourning and the event fades from the headlines, no one bothers to have the discussion. So, now is the time. When the country is hurting.

The townsfolk must take time to mourn and adjust, as long as they need. But the rest of the country needs to start to addressing the issue - whatever the solution ends up being.

December 1st was the Kansas Chiefs incident. December 11th, the Oregon shooting (not to mention the Aurora one in the summer). Yesterday, this monstrous event. Since last night, two other shootings in public places within the United States. It happens again and again and again.

Now is the time to address gun access, public safety, and mental health. These tragedies happen so often, that you'll never have the opportunity otherwise.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
December 1st was the Kansas Chiefs incident. December 11th, the Oregon shooting (not to mention the Aurora one in the summer). Yesterday, this monstrous event. Since last night, two other shootings in public places within the United States. It happens again and again and again.

Today, we had a shooter on the loose in my own town. He shot a police man, I believe. And there was another shooting at a hospital in Birmingham. Dunno if those are the two you're referring to, but yeah. We had a lots of places on lockdown for hours today, and after the events yesterday, it was just terrifying here.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Where I used to live there was a shooting every week. We had a police officer killed a couple weeks ago, and that one's still not solved.

People are spewing the words "gun control" everywhere, thing is CT already has some of the most strict gun laws in the nation, and still this happened.

It was just a man with issues doing something terrible. There was no real logical rhyme or reason. It's something that happened. And I am saddened by what happened.

But one response I've been hearing has me enraged. And that's the folks that are going online and saying that this happened as a response to the lack of religious influence in the school system. I call ******** on that. I've also heard that "he (shooter) must have been atheist, because no one of faith would ever have slaughtered innocents", I call bull on that too. This isn't the time or week to pull something like that, especially making incorrect assumptions of an entire group. It's completely tactless.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
The people of the Westboro Baptist Church are among the group of people that I consider to be the most disgusting people in the world. If anyone deserves "god's judgment" it's these folk.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
So the Westboro church is going to be pissing off the entire world's population again by picketing the funeral.

source: http://www.examiner.com/article/con...ng-westboro-baptist-church-planning-to-picket

twitter source from one of the members: https://twitter.com/DearShirley/status/279953994124783618

I hope they are going to be wearing bullet proof vests. This is a very traumatic event, and all WBC is going to do is add jetfuel to the fire. I wouldn't be suprised some small scale riots broke out over this, or if some of them get shot over it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I hope they are going to be wearing bullet proof vests. This is a very traumatic event, and all WBC is going to do is add jetfuel to the fire. I wouldn't be suprised some small scale riots broke out over this, or if some of them get shot over it.

I have to agree with that. As much as I hope that doesn't happen, it just seems all too likely. Adding insult to injury. Westboro Church is a disgusting cult in my eyes.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
I feel bad about this event and my thoughts go out to his event. If you ask me the general media is making it worse as they provoke people against Mass Effect 3 and A guy who had the same name as the shooter. This really bothered me and it made me feel that the general public and the ones that provide news to them, can take something and make it even worse

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
He didn't have the same name as the shooter, he was the shooters brother (I think)

Either way, this is a boon for that guy. He might be able to file lawsuits against the news groups that said he was the killer.

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
Years
  • Seen Sep 27, 2022
Is Westburo church like the PETA of Christianity? I hear about them all the time choosing the wrong events and people to start movements against. It sickens me the way a large amount of the christian population reacted to this. Someone in my local community said if religion wasn't restricted from practice in public schools, this wouldn't have happened and we all know that is BS. Also I don't think there is a simple, one shot way in preventing these situations.

^@Mr. X: I hope he does take action against them because that could ruin someone's life if they were framed for multiple-manslaughter by the news

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Yes and no. They are the closest eqilivent, as both groups go to extremes to spread their message.

The difference is that PETA's core beliefs are understandable and admirable. Treating animals better. Peta goes to extremes to achieve this, but it is a good goal. The WBC's core beliefs are pretty much "**** fags, **** you, **** the country, and **** everything now that we think about it".

As for Religion in general, I laugh when people say that Religion prevents tragedy and killing. It's funny, because historically Religion has been the root cause for the majority of wars in our planets history.

Back