• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What do you miss about Generation V?

Nakala Pri

The characters, the Pokemon, the region, characters, Team Plasma, everything.

I miss the sprites and the battle sounds, the fast-paced battles and the adventure~ I miss dreamy 'ol N saving me from his adopted father... it was an amazing experience. <3

I really want more generations like that... new, interesting, strange but utterly unique. c:

Years
I miss Join Avenue, the beautiful scenery of Unova, Team Plasma, the musicals, the badass Gym Leaders and Elite Four, and of course the starter trio I always loved so much. So many reasons why 5th Generation was so awesome in my eyes.

Monster Guy

The Best Possible Thing!
Years
I miss Join Avenue and the Pokemon World Tournament. Some variant of these need to appear in the next Gen 6 game. I also miss the White Treehollow. I like this better than the Battle Subway, maybe because I can actually use my Soul Dew Latias on unsuspecting NPCs. xD

Also, PokeStar Studios. That was fun.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Audino encounters everywhere and the dynamic experience are the things I miss the most. The former made grinding SO much easier, and the latter felt like the series moving forward mechanics wise, so I was sad to see them revert to the old exp method in gen 6.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2023
I think the thing I miss most about fifth gen were the side characters and how diverse their personalities were; they felt really fleshed out and relevant. Compared to the other generations, I don't think any other did as good of a job developing it's 'supporting cast'. Even though X and Y also had a lot of side characters, they don't feel as relevant or enjoyable.

In particular, I really miss N. He was a magnificent character, and his little quirks were really fun. Miss that green haired hero wannabe~

The spritework was also really good in this game; the new 3D models are great, but I can't help but miss the old style sometimes.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I actually liked the medal system they implemented in B2W2. It's like a little personal sidequest you could do and I really enjoyed it :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2023
I actually liked the medal system they implemented in B2W2. It's like a little personal sidequest you could do and I really enjoyed it :)

I really enjoyed those as well! It added something to do besides the typical battles, postgame, and pokedex collecting. Really wish they could have kept it, or possibly put in a similar achievement system in the new games.

Years

Yeah, I always liked that too. It was a nice way of motivating you to do stuff you probably wouldn't bother to do otherwise. Like beating the league with different typed teams, trying to get through the Tower/Treehollow in certain scrunched time periods, and other things.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I really enjoyed those as well! It added something to do besides the typical battles, postgame, and pokedex collecting. Really wish they could have kept it, or possibly put in a similar achievement system in the new games.

The Medal Rally was fun! It is in X/Y, but only if you connect to PGL, so it doesn't really feel the same.

Aside from that, PWT, Join Avenue, and White Treehollow/Black Tower were great additions to B2/W2. But for me (and probably for almost nobody else), I really missed Pokéstar Studios. It was pretty silly, and I spent a lot of time on it. They could have brought it back in a different, improved form: probably make it non-mandatory (as it seems a lot of people were bothered by this) and have the battles more like puzzle battles (in which there isn't really a script that tells you what to do). Now that I'm thinking more about it, I guess something like the Battle Sims from XD, but having more flavor like the Studios.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
lol I don't miss anything about Generation V, because I still play it on a regular basis!

Yes, I own a 3DS, and I have played and beaten X, but unlike past Generations, it was very easy to go back to Generation V. It doesn't feel outdated to me at all. I've been replaying White and White 2 and enjoying the heck out of it.

Davetunes

MagikarpDrowned
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Feb 3, 2015
one thing I miss that will most likely never come back, 3Dish graphics. I feel the whole magic of pokemon was ruined with the new 3D. Also, Unova was a region to go down in the history books.

Years
The animated sprites. These beautiful guys only lasted a single generation and they're to date my favorite Pokemon models even if they do look off at times.

Then there's the Medal Rally. As a huge collector I loved stopping by the Pokemon Center and seeing the medal guy waiting for me - was an amazing feeling. Still need to get 'em all but from the looks of things it'll be a long while before that happens.

PWT was another crazy thing that I never got too into but loved nonetheless. One of these days I will conquer the darn thing.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
The animated sprites. These beautiful guys only lasted a single generation and they're to date my favorite Pokemon models even if they do look off at times.

ferroseed.gif

I like how Ferroseed's sprite shows it spinning, yet it doesn't learn Rapid Spin. It's a kick to the face, but other than that, the animated sprites only being around for one whole generation broke my heart a little. I got used to Hydreigon's wings flapping, with it snapping its hands from time to time xD

Another thing I'll miss is the Free Space section in your bag. You could put your utmost important regular and key items in there, so it's convenient and quick to access, just in case you already had something toggled for your use item button or something.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
As much as I bashed Generation V when it was new, I have to admit that there are a few things I miss.

-Sprites. Though the animation of the sprites lacked the polish of those from Crystal, they were leagues ahead of those in DPPt/HGSS. I didn't even mind the fact that the back sprites were horribly pixelated, I still really liked them. Plus, honestly, the 3D models from X and Y seem a bit lifeless at times. The shading seems a bit off, and I honestly prefer the 3D models from Colosseum.

-Music. Is it just me, or was the music in Generation V amazing? The wild battle theme. Dragonspiral Tower. The showdown with Ghetsis. While there were a few duds, I generally really enjoyed the music in the Generation V games.

-PWT. Getting to battle all of the prior Gym Leaders was one of the coolest things in any Pokemon game ever, period. The Maison doesn't even come close to comparing.

Years
Unova wasn't that big of a deal to me. I played and completed Black in days, and rise/repeat with White 2. There just wasn't much that left an impression on me. Some things I do miss are the sprites, for sure. Making them a continuously moving animation improved the liveliness of battle scenes by a large margin, and made them much more realistic. The Pokemon World Tournament was great; Pokemon Emerald did so well in implementing a Gym leader rematch mechanic, and I had hoped that would become a recurring existence in Pokemon games, but Game Freak compensated with PWT, a way to fight all the Gym leaders with new and improved teams. I loved it :]

Years
There are quite a few things I miss about BW/BW2!

BW's unique plot. Particularly in regards to how your final battle ISN'T You v. the Champion. I really wish they kept up this trend in BW2 and XY.

Gym Leader/Champion involvement. The Gym Leaders are important people, and as such being involved in the evil team's affairs made a lot of sense. Most of XY's Gym Leaders were bland as heck; I would've ben content if even just a few of them were involved in the main storyline or did more than just battle you in their Gym/the Battle Chateau. Same deal with Diantha; she even knew and talked with Lysandre yet she doesn't do anything to deal with him.

Fully animated sprites. I love the models, but it was nice seeing the fully animated sprites in BW/BW2.

CHALLENGE MODE. The best feature in BW2; I was really upset when it didn't make a return in XY.

Hidden Grottos. I thought they were a neat little thing and made finding Pokemon with their HAs easier if you didn't like using the Dream World. However, they aren't as useful as the Friend Safari so it's not too big a deal that they're gone.

Phenomena. You know, shaking grass containing Exp. Points (a.k.a. Audino), dips in water, dust clouds, and shadows over the bridges. I thought they were a cool addition and would love to see them return.

Varying differences in routes/cities. You know, where Opelucid takes on a completely different appearance depending on which game you play, where the area south of Mistralton's gym appears differently, where Route 4 can either be a bustling road with buildings or ancient ruins, and where there was either a Black City or White Forest. I liked these differences a lot.

Free Space in your bag. Why why why didn't they bring this back to XY. It was a lot easier finding the stuff I used most than going through other items I'd never use.

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
Years
In-Game medals.

On Black 2 / White 2 these were a cool little features and collecting them just added to the replay value :)

not a fan of the X/Y PGL medals...

Back