• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Would you have preferred to play as Kris instead of Lyra?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Spr_C_Kris.png
Spr_HGSS_Lyra.png

Kris, and an equally determined Pokemon Trainer as Lyra or Ethan, was the very first female protagonist of a mainstream Pokemon game. If you were given the choice between Lyra, HGSS' female protagonist, and Kris who would you have rather played as? Do you think Kris should have been the female protagonist? Why? Perhaps she could have proven to be a second rival? Were you disappointed that she made no debut in HGSS? Were you surprised having being remakes, HGSS didn't feature her?

Honestly, I never played Pokemon Crystal so I suppose I didn't develop a gamers 'connection' with her so to speak. Similar to that of what some of us have with the Pokemon we train in our games. She's looks sassy that's for sure, and she definitely looks like she can put up one hell of a fight. What surprised me is that she wasn't included in the remakes; I think if the developers of HGSS included her, and perhaps gave her her own little backstory, it would have given us another - on top of many - great addition to what already proved to be a pair of excellent games.

On the topic of Lyra, I don't like her as much as Kris, but I definitely think she isn't one of the worst characters/protagonist of the Pokemon series. Her constant yapping about her Marill soon became irritating, and her nonsensical calls telling me about how her Marill evolved...when it quite clearly didn't when I visited home every now and then, rubbed me a little in the wrong way.

What about you? Discuss!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Hmm I have played Crystal before on an emulator so a bond sort of grew between me and Kris. Overall I'd say I would prefer is she was the protagonist of HG/SS, she has a much better design. Lyra's is sort of childish and out of place-looking, it doesn't look fit for the design of an actual trainer to be quite honest. I liked Kris's design mainly because it was so simple, just a short and a top, no huge hats or anything which I liked. Also I'm agreeing Lyra's constant calls about her Marill evolving, I was really excited to see her and maybe hope to even battle but it turns out it's the same old Marill when we meet again, which is disappointing.

I was surprised to be honest seeing Kris not make a return because in the originals R/B/G/Y, the protagonist Red made a return in FR/LG, so I was sort of expecting Kris to make a return, if she followed the same path of being in her game's remake like Red. But yeah overall it was disappointing she wasn't included in the games! But overall I would of preferred Kris as the protagonist over Lyra, I'm not saying Lyra is a bad character though. She's cheerful and friendly which is always good but Kris stands out so much more to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I think for people that have played Crystal, it was a bit of a kick in the balls that they didn't bring her back as the female protagonist of HGSS. I know the argument is that they were remaking Gold and Silver, but there are already so many other elements of Crystal added to HGSS that you have to ask, would it really have hurt to just give us Kris?

Anyway, I would have preferred to play as Kris, as I'm sure you've gathered, but Lyra's design eventually grew on me. And even if we did get Kris, we would still be griping about the Marill thing, because it would just be Kris in that place instead of Lyra. Or Ethan, really. So I don't really understand that gripe, since it's not exclusive to her. Oh well.

I'm getting off track okay KRIS IT IS.

Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2013
I don't particularly care, I never played as the girl in either of them, but given the fact that the HG/SS storyline didn't stray too far - if it did, in the first place - from the GSC one, keeping Kris would be a better move in my opinion.

Years
I may have never played Crystal, but in my opinion I loved playing as Lyra better but if they kept Kris I may not have enjoyed the game as much. Also I loved Lyra's design better and the fact her hair color is so much like mine. I didn't find Lyra annoying (well, Ethan since I play as the girl) and I wasn't disappointed at Kris not being the female protagonist.

So yeah, I would say I enjoyed it with Lyra anyways.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I would rather play as Lyra as in Gold and Silver there was no Girl only in Crystal there was Kris and HG/SS is a remake of Gold and silver not Crystal. Plus I do not like Kris's design.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
Kris because her design was far more impressive and respectful imo. That and the nostalgia factor as far as 2nd gen goes further solidifies my decision.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I feel that Kris has a very strong female look to her. Replacing her with someone like Lyra, who plays into GameFreak's ever growing female stereotypical designs just seemed wrong to me. Kris looked way more like a female counterpart to Ethan in my opinion. Lyra's design kinda just comes out of no where. I definitely would have preferred Kris as a playable character.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
No doubt it's Kris. Very cool look, the attitude and powerful determination (and being more cute) is way too much huge compared to the hatty Lyra. If you've read the manga, you'll see what I mean.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I play as the dude, so it wouldn't have mattered to me whether it was Kris or Lyra who took on the role as the female protagonist. I do think I would have preferred Kris though, just because among the female protagonists she's probably my second favorite after May.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 24, 2016
Honestly, Lyra's design kinda bugged me so I just played as the guy. However, since I never played the second generation games I wasn't disappointed that I couldn't play as Kris.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
They're both my least favorite female characters, so it doesn't matter to me either way lol. I suppose I like Kris a little more though for the nostalgic factor, I've played as her a lot more than I have as Lyra.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Never played with Kris but still would prefer Kris instead of Lyra. Lyra is more like an anime character. Well thats imo, since she appeared in the anime.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
It would've been interesting if they decided to revert to the pre-release female protagonist. Alas. At the time I originally played Crystal, I thought Kris looked a bit too masculine, mostly due to Ken Sugimori's art style at the time, but Lyra answered to that sentiment a bit extremely; she has a better hat, at least. Anyway, for little reason other than nostalgic sentiment, I prefer Kris.

in Gold and Silver there was no Girl only in Crystal there was Kris and HG/SS is a remake of Gold and silver not Crystal.
Folks say this, and yet we have Eusine and his subplot, which comes from Crystal. Strictly remaking Gold & Silver was therefore not Game Freak's intent.

Last edited:

iX Billie

Land Shark
Years
  • Age 24
  • Nah.
  • Seen Jun 26, 2023
Honestly, I don't mind either one of them but I'd have to say Kris just because I grew attached to Crystal.

Oh yeah and I thought that Kris and Lyra were the same person?
Cuz that's what I read in the Manga.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I would prefer seeing Kris instead of Lyra just because I like Kris's personality in the manga more than Lyra's personality in the anime. I wouldn't use Kris as my player but I rather see her than Lyra.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Yeah, I dearly missed playing as Kris. My Crystal version would be the oldest original save file I've ever created. Lotta memories, battles, capturing all 250 Pokemon (never Celebi)... I'd like to have seen her in the remakes for nostalgia purposes.

Lyra annoys me with her Marill and useless phone calls, too. I was so off-put by her appearance (overalls...what) that I did not start the journey as a girl the first time. o_o;

Years
I would have loved to play as Kris. I like her design far better. She looks so confident and strong while Lyra seems like that cute little girl that we get in every Pokémon game.

So yeah, I find it really too bad that they replaced Kris with Lyra.

Back