• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alolan Ninetales

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
ninetales-alola.gif
alolan_ninetales_artwork.png
ninetales-alola.gif

Alolan Ninetales
Category: Fox Pokemon
Type: Ice/Fairy
Ability: Snow Cloak/Snow Warning (Hidden Ability)
Height: 3'07"/2.4m
Weight:43.9lbs./19.9kg

HP: 73 | ATK: 67 | DEF: 75 | SPA: 81 | SPD: 100 | SPE: 109

Pokedex Entries
Sun: It creates drops of ice in its coat and showers them over its enemies. Anyone who angers it will be frozen stiff in an instant.
Moon: Possessing a calm demeanor, this Pokémon was revered as a deity incarnate before it was identified as a regional variant of Ninetales.
Ultra Sun: The reason it guides people all the way down to the mountain's base is that it wants them to hurry up and leave.
Ultra Moon: Some said that deities visited mountains where Ninetales live, so in times long past, no one was allowed to go into those mountains.

Sorry for being a bit late on this one, I was snowed under with assignments. But anyway, now that we're heading for Christmas, we might as well do something thematic!

Meet Alolan Ninetales, one of Alola's regional variants of already-existing Pokemon. While standard Ninetales is Fire-type, this one is Ice/Fairy type! While typically associated with Mount Lanakila, its territory is revered as a holy ground (and was even considered a deity at one point), and thus in the past, nobody was allowed to enter. While maintaining a general temperament, Ninetales is known to guide humans away from its territory in order to protect that and its young. Anyone who dares mess with this icy Pokemon will be frozen solid by its ice crystals, which can pack enough force to even shatter rocks.

In competitive, Alolan Ninetales is one of the most popular Pokemon that can be used for supporting a team. This is mainly thanks to its Hidden Ability, Snow Warning, and access to Aurora Veil, which acts as Reflect and Light Screen in one move, but can only be activated in hail. Other factors include moves such as Hypnosis and Encore, as well as a respectable Speed stat, which can outspeed a lot of threatening Pokemon that happen to be slower than it, such as Garchomp.

So there you have it. What are your thoughts on this icy Pokemon? Have you used it at all in your team? Discuss...

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
Alolan Ninetales is a beautiful Pokemon and it's one of my favorite. I've never used it before because I have Moon instead of Sun.

Years
ah, alolan ninetales. i absolutely love how gamefreak designed it just as elegant like the og ninetales. would love to use it one day on a (ultra)sun/moon and/or let's go playthrough

Years
One of the best designs of this gen if you ask me; I like it even better than the original Ninetales (which is partly a bit sad but all in all, the more the merrier). I've used it in one of my Sun runs (her name's Myrrh), and it makes me happy just thinking about it. Combining two of my favourite types with good ol' Ninetales... bliss, Nintendo.

Since I haven't played competitively in a long time, I haven't used it as such. I would totally build a team a around the Snow Warning/Aurora Veil combo though.

Years
alolan ninetales best ninetales

it's kind of a shame that ive never really gotten much of a chance to use one though. having moon/ultra moon, a. ninetales isn't really available for me to put into a team which is a huge bummer.

one of my favourite ice types period, though.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Alolan Ninetales is gorgeous. I've never gotten the chance to use one yet (I used Alolan Sandslash) but definitely will in my next Alola playthrough.

Years
I've always liked ninetails & this one is no exception. They're a gorgeous Pokemon with a neat typing.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
Alolan Ninetales is a vast improvement over it's Kantonian counterpart.

Aurora Veil, coupled with Snow Warning, is essentially a dual screen move that adds significant bulk to one's team.

Hail allows it to spam always accurate Blizzards. It can learn Moonblast via breeding, which is often a great Fairy-type move with the possibility of crippling some special attackers.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I also had the Moon versions so it wasn't available for in-game teams. But I am using it in LGE I suppose...

Always liked Ninetales and the Alolan form is no exception!

Sirfetch’d

I never really cared for the original Ninetales much. It was not a Pokemon that I hated but just found pretty boring I guess. Alolan Ninetales however is one of my favorite Ice types and is incredibly fun to use!

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
Alolan Ninetales is gorgeous, I love its design and it seems like such a good Ice-type. I haven't been able to use it so far because I've only had Moon/Ultra Moon, but I just got Ultra Sun and I'm psyched. I'm working on breeding Vulpix with Moonblast and Freeze-dry.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I've always been the top fan of Vulpix and Ninetales since I was a small kid and having saw the revealing of their Alolan forms back then was soooooo exciting for me; Because the original ones did not get Mega Evolution-loves.

Though it went downhill because I decided I will always pick the "blue-r" version out of both games since X. Luckily I worked fast enough to try trading for them on the GTS and bred my own Vulpix for my team.

Back