• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Protagonists.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I guess they'd maybe look too similar to each other (in regards to the non-blonde thing), more like brother and sister than separate protagonists, I'd assume?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I guess they'd maybe look too similar to each other (in regards to the non-blonde thing), more like brother and sister than separate protagonists, I'd assume?
Some of the other protag pairs already look similar or sibling-like (Dawn and Lucas, Fire and Leaf, Hilda and Hilbert), so this isn't a problem.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
What would be great is if you are able to choose which type of trainer you want to be and if you have customization you could choose to dress up like a Lass if you ever want to.

Guy

just a guy
Years
To play as a blonde male, that would have been great. Even if the female has blonde hair now, I don't see why they couldn't have given the guy a blonde look too. There are already protagonists that could pass as siblings as was said before, so that's no big deal to me.

What would be great is if you are able to choose which type of trainer you want to be and if you have customization you could choose to dress up like a Lass if you ever want to.
If customization is an option, I could see them giving us certain clothing items from other trainer classes, but I'm not sure if they'd let us deck out the protagonist to look exactly like an Ace Trainer or a Lass. Usually, the aim for the protagonist's design is to stick out from the crowd...even if they're already pretty basic as it is.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
If we're given customization, the main thing I'd want to customize is the face. I can get over the clothing, but I'm sick of looking at another protagonist that looks so similar to Black/Hilbert. I'd cut the hair, change the color, and probably a bunch of other things as well.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
That'd be better than what we have honestly. I'm just tired of the same clones that we keep getting =P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Oh ya, changing the hairstyle would be great. It'd certainly help us bring back certain past protagonists through their hairstyles :x But these ones I'm less opposed to than Sinnoh's lmao.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
See, I feel this is kind of a case of neglect on GF's part. There is such thing as badass looking Pokemon characters (I mean, has anyone seen Wes from Pokemon Colosseum?), so why can't the same be achieved here? If anything, maybe we could be another class or something, but better looking, with better clothes if we really wanted to stand out. u__u

Wes wasn't made by Gamefreak and the target audience was a bit older since that story line was a bit darker. So they have nothing to do with any of those characters.

I think the two for X and Y are going back to traditional standards. 10 year olds travelling the region in search of fame and along the way are pitted against the evil villans.

I don't see us ever getting customizable characters. If we ever do, its going to be so minor that everyone will complain about it anyway. I can see it being original Animal crossing style. You can change the design on the shirt, but the clothes look the same anyway. These are just things I don't forsee Pokemon ever trying because it won't go beyond a one generation gimmick at best.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I think the two for X and Y are going back to traditional standards. 10 year olds travelling the region in search of fame and along the way are pitted against the evil villans.

I don't see us ever getting customizable characters. If we ever do, its going to be so minor that everyone will complain about it anyway. I can see it being original Animal crossing style. You can change the design on the shirt, but the clothes look the same anyway. These are just things I don't forsee Pokemon ever trying because it won't go beyond a one generation gimmick at best.

That's fine and all, but creating clones of the past two game's protagonists isn't the way to go for it in my opinion. As much as I'd love to see customization, and the unlikelihood of it, it'd be a good way for us to get away from the same designs we've been seeing for three years. Of course, that really anything that Game Freak has any concern for (since it's just a complaint from me =P), but it'd be nice.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
I would, of course, love to see customization added to the game. Even if its very little customization like hairstyle or eyes I think it would be a step in the right direction. What would also be cool is if there is a clothing store in each pokemart in every town and each store has exclusive clothes that you can only buy in that town. That would be a pretty nice change to the orthodox protagonists in every game.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If I'm correct, weren't the protagonists basically teenagers in Gen V (or IV, one or the other)? Why is it difficult to imagine the protagonists getting older as the generation progresses? Granted it might be a bit off having a grown man/woman as a protagonist, but something around late teens wouldn't be too bad.

Hilbert and Hilda were said to be older than 10, but an actual age wasn't given. Nate and Rosa are definately younger than Hilbert and Hilda though so they may have been 10. All protags outside of Gen 5 were 10. I just see X and Y's protags being 10 rather than older.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Nah, I don't think we'll be this 'traditional' 10. Hilbert and Hilda may not have had an age, but they definitely looked ~ 16 to me. If anything, they can pull off another older age look(not adult of course) yet not really mention exactly how old.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Hilbert and Hilda were said to be older than 10, but an actual age wasn't given. Nate and Rosa are definately younger than Hilbert and Hilda though so they may have been 10. All protags outside of Gen 5 were 10. I just see X and Y's protags being 10 rather than older.

I dunno, Hugh looks around the same age as Nate and Rosa, and his sister looks around 5-6. He later mentions about Team Plasma stealing her Purrlion 5 years ago, but if Hugh really was 10 years old, then his sister wouldn't have been born when was 5 during the time Team Plasma stole Purrlion. Thus Nate, Rosa, and Hugh are concluded to be older than 10, so we will expect the same with our new protagonists.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I dunno, Hugh looks around the same age as Nate and Rosa, and his sister looks around 5-6. He later mentions about Team Plasma stealing her Purrlion 5 years ago, but if Hugh really was 10 years old, then his sister wouldn't have been born when was 5 during the time Team Plasma stole Purrlion. Thus Nate, Rosa, and Hugh are concluded to be older than 10, so we will expect the same with our new protagonists.
That only works if we can assume the little sis is about 5 or 6. All we really have to go off of is her little overworld sprite, which is the generic "little girl" one. Until she gets a unique design and we get a good look at it, we can't really put too much stock in how she looks.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I agree with the protagonists being older than 10. Given that we did in fact have that in Unova for at least one half, and France, if based there, just seems like such a mature location and I think the characters would reflect that.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Honestly, age is such an irrelevant factor to the overall story of the game that the protagonists could be twenty-one this generation and it wouldn't really matter. I wouldn't be surprised if they were older again though.

Just a thought, but anyone remember beta Silver and post-release Silver? If not...

Spr_HGSS_Silver_Beta.png
Spr_HGSS_Silver.png

What if the protagonists' designs got a revamp from what we saw in the earlier footage? It could happen. What sort of changes to the protagonists' would you like to be made from what we've seen? I personally would just like to see more color on the male protagonist. His outwear so far is so basic.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Honestly, age is such an irrelevant factor to the overall story of the game that the protagonists could be twenty-one this generation and it wouldn't really matter. I wouldn't be surprised if they were older again though.

Just a thought, but anyone remember beta Silver and post-release Silver? If not...

Spr_HGSS_Silver_Beta.png
Spr_HGSS_Silver.png

What if the protagonists' designs got a revamp from what we saw in the earlier footage? It could happen. What sort of changes to the protagonists' would you like to be made from what we've seen? I personally would just like to see more color on the male protagonist. His outwear so far is so basic.

I'd like the male re-designed too. As it is, he looks very similar to Hilbert, and no doubt will be compared. I'd rather if they were more different so nobody could make that comparison. :(

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
PLEASE REDESIGN THE MALE FROM SCRATCH! If it's kept, we've literally been using the same protagonist now, with minor changes. Same color scheme, same hair color, same pretty much everything. Please take a different step away from it. I'm begging you =P

If you can't tell I hate the male protagonist =x

Back