• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I'd like to import my old runs into this thread.

Forum User Name: Drackos_Flare
Game: Pokemon Emerald
Pokémon Type: Rock
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Forum User Name: Drackos_Flare
Games: Fire Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, White 2, Y, Sun
Pokémon Type: Water
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Hall of Fame Pics:
Spoiler:

SonicZ16

Blazing Attacker
Years
Forum User Name: SonicZ16
Game: Sun

I guess I'll have the old completed runs transferred, why not?

Spoiler:

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Ultimate Flying Monotype Challenge
Game:
Black 2
Badges: 8
Unova Completed!

Leaf Green, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2 (8/8), Y, S/M (0/8)

Here goes my first actual update in the new thread. I can see that I haven't been added to the ultimate challenger's list yet, so I figured I should probably do some updating to get that sorted out. As of this update, I'm only missing Alola on my Fire-, Grass- and Flying challenges, and a few more on my Bug challenge.

Anyway, I just recently beat the E4 and Iris in Black 2. Sigilyph and Swanna took down Shauntal in a team effort, Crobat blasted through Marshal's entire team, Emolga took out most of Caitlin's team, but had to bring in help from Unfezant, and Crobat almost took out all of Grimsley's team, but Mandibuzz had to finish him off. As for Iris, Emolga was off to a great start, taking out Hydreigon, but was then beaten by Lapras. Unfezant then managed to take down Lapras and Druddigon, but was beaten by Archeops. Swanna was then sent in to clean up. And that's it, here's my final team:

unfezant-female.gif

Unfezant, lv. 62 w/ Silk Scarf
Female // Adamant // Big Pecks
- Return
- U-turn
- Fly
- Roost
Unfezant was kinda cool to use, but it has an absolutely terrible movepool. Sure, most generic birds have terrible movepools, but Unfezant doesn't even learn a decent Flying-type attack. Sure, on a mono-Flying team, it wasn't exactly needed, but still... Come on. Still, Unfezant powered through more enemies than expected with a hard-hitting Return.
crobat.gif

Crobat, lv. 65
Female // Adamant // Inner Focus
- Acrobatics
- Cross Poison
- Zen Headbutt
- X-Scissor
I don't really have much to say about Crobat. I've used it on several of my Flying-type challenges for a reason - I absolutely adore Crobat.
swanna.gif

Swanna, lv. 64 w/ Wide Lens
Male // Timid // Big Pecks
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam
I used Swanna on my Kalos Flying-team, as well, and I've gotta say - eh. Swanna is alright, and Ice Beam provided great coverage, but other than that, Swanna is kinda - well - boring. Design-wise, if nothing else.
sigilyph.gif

Sigilyph, lv. 62 w/ TwistedSpoon
Male // Bold // Magic Guard
- Psychic
- Air Slash
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
Sigilyph is awesome. I love its freaky design. It was fun to use, if maybe a little difficult to utilize properly.
mandibuzz.gif

Mandibuzz, lv. 63 w/ Leftovers
Female // Careful // Weak Armor
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Bone Rush
- Roost
If not for the fact that the game gives you a level 25(I think?) Mandibuzz with its HA, I never would've used it. It has a weird stat distribution, a kinda lackluster movepool, and I'm not too keen on its design. I ended up kinda liking it, though. Mandibuzz, you're alright.
emolga.gif

Emolga, lv. 62 w/ Magnet
Male // Timid // Static
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Signal Beam
As far as Pikachu clones go, I really like Emolga, Stat- and movepool-wise, it's a little underwhelming, sure, but it's adorable and just powerful enough to be a pretty decent team member.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 21, 2021
White 2: Steel Monotype

- Chose Snivy as starter
- Caught Riolu in Flocessy Ranch
- Defeated Cheren and won the Basic Badge
- Caught Magnemite in the Virbank Complex
- Defeated Roxie and won the the Toxic Badge

Current team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Mar 11, 2018
This is really interesting. I love Monotype tournaments and stuff, so a Locke would be really cool.

Years
Alpha Sapphire, Fighting
Log #7 and last:

Done it! The Elite four was easy until I met Drake's Salamance and I had to start over. Then with a bit of strategy, he was defeated too. Steven's Metagross was another matter, completely wrecked me. In my second try, I just taught Candy Kitty bulk up, setup on his Cradily and it was over, a crunch here, a brick break there. Lots of fun, gonna do a Wonderlocke on Pokemon moon, then I'm going to come back for more monotype!
Team:
MDP257.png
Ares, lv53
MDP475.png
El Cid, lv52
MDP286.png
Amazon, lv51
MDP214.png
Man-bug, lv51
MDP106.png
Thompson, lv52
64px-BT560.png
Candy Kitty, lv55

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Sun - Dragon Monotype

Challenge Completed

I beat Guzma with really no issue, thanks to Turtonator's Flamethrower.
Once I did all the Aether Paradise stuff, and after barely beating Lusamine and getting to Poni Island, I went back to Hano Beach and farmed up some Stardust and Star Pieces from the Staryu there.

**FYI, great place to get money at this point in the game and even late game if you're desperate, just have a fainted Butterfree and a Pokemon with Thief, then you're set. Compound Eyes makes Staryu have 60% of Stardust and 20% chance of Star Piece, and they also drop some after battle sometimes.

After catching an Exeggcute (because catching Exeggutor already evolved doesn't have Dragon Hammer -.-), I noticed my problem was that my Pokemon can't take special hits for shit, so I went back to Route 17 and caught a Goomy (I would've just caught Sliggoo where I was at if it were raining), and after 20 or so chained Fearow, one finally popped up, and guess what?
It had it's HA, Gooey, which has been super helpful, and also had perfect IVs in Attack, Special Attack and Special Defense (according to serebii's stat calculator).

I trained a LOT and got my team to about 48, and continuing through Vast Poni Canyon, my team was 52-53 when fighting Lusamine in Ultra Space.
Goodra was an absolute beast. My amazing slime dragon used two Sludge Waves on Clefable, then took 3 Moonblasts before she swapped it out, and after I healed, Goodra proceeded to wreck the rest of her team, then finished Clefable with a final Sludge Wave.

So after all that, I went to the Pokemon League, taught my Pokemon some new moves with the Heart Scale lady, trained a bit, then took out the Elite Four.

My team, Goodra was by far my MVP for the remainder of the game:
Spoiler:

Pekin

Years
Ultimate Fire Monotype Challenge
Game:
Moon
Island Trials: 1/7
Grand Trials: 1/4

Finally starting up my Alolan Fire-type challenge! I've spent longer than I care to admit soft resetting for natures, but I've finally completed Melemele Island. Finally got myself an Adamant Litten, after what seemed like forever, caught a Jolly Growlithe, trained for a bit, and then completed Ilima's trial. Then I spent an eternity in Melemele Meadow, trying to get a Timid or a Modest Oricorio, before I finally caught myself a Timid one. I've traded a Red Nectar to my game, along with a level 29 Turtonator from Sun, which is sitting comfortably in the PC, until one of my other Pok?mon reaches level 29, and I'm allowed to use it. As for Hala, I figured Oricorio could use the training, so she blasted through his entire team with Air Cutter.

Here's my team so far:
torracat.gif

Torracat, lv. 19 w/ Expert Belt
Male // Adamant // Blaze
- Fire Fang
- Scratch
- Work Up
- Lick
oricorio.gif

Oricorio, lv. 14 w/ Sharp Beak
Female // Timid // Dancer
- Pound
- Helping Hand
- Air Cutter
- Work Up
growlithe.gif

Growlithe, lv. 15 w/ Quick Claw
Female // Jolly // Intimidate
- Bite
- Roar
- Ember
- Leer

Years
Nice to see this has been renovated. Let's do another for myself, shall we?

Forum User Name: Swagroar (formerly Pendraflare)
Game(s): Alpha Sapphire
Pok?mon Type: Poison
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single for right now, but I did Y back in 2013

Also, I will not be using any items in battle once I have more than one Pok?mon in my party. But I will be allowing them until after I beat Roxanne at least. I had to, because otherwise it would've been a chore for the first badge.
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
L'Belle's Adventure on the Big Blue sea!

Currently traveling through: Kalos (Y)
Progress on Ultimate Challenge: Fire Red, Soul Silver, Ruby, Pearl, White 2, Y, Moon

- Did the Reflection Cave (A.K.A Annoying Cave)
- Got to Shalour City, beat Korrina
- Picked up the gift Lapras
- Beat Ramos

Spoiler:

Gym badge Progress: 4/8

Pekin

Years
Game:
Moon
Island Trials: 4/7
Grand Trials: 2/4

Just arrived at Ula'ula Island! Lana's trial was a pain, that Wishiwashi Totem destroyed my team, like, four or five times, so I had to grind for a while and plan some sort of strategy. Growlithe would sacrifice itself, getting in as many Confides as possible, then Torracat would paralyze it with Lick, and finally Oricorio would spam Air Cutter and hope for the best. Before Kiawe's trial, I caught myself a Cubone and a Salandit. Cubone one-shotted the Salazzle Totem, and (almost) the entire team took down the Lurantis Totem in a surprisingly difficult battle. By the time I went up against Olivia, Torracat and Oricorio had reached level 29, so I was allowed to use the Turtonator from Sun that was sitting in my PC. Good thing, too, it saved me in the battle against her. Cubone had evolved by then and lost what little advantage it otherwise had against her. Side-note, Alolan Marowak is sick af.

Here's my current team:
torracat.gif

Torracat, lv. 31 w/ Expert Belt
Male // Adamant // Blaze
- Fire Fang
- Bite
- Work Up
- Leech Life
growlithe.gif

Growlithe, lv. 29 w/ Quick Claw
- Fire Fang
- Reversal
- Bite
- Confide
oricorio.gif

Oricorio, lv. 31 w/ Sharp Beak
- Air Cutter
- Baton Pass
- Pound
- Roost
salandit.gif

Salandit, lv. 29 w/ Poison Barb
Female // Modest // Corrosion
- Flame Burst
- Toxic
- Dragon Rage
- Venoshock
marowak-alola.gif

Marowak, lv. 30 w/ Thick Club
Female // Adamant // Lightning Rod
- Bonemerang
- Fmale Charge
- Rock Tomb
- Brick Break
turtonator.gif

Turtonator, lv. 32 w/ Charcoal
Female // Timid // Shell Armor
- Charge Beam
- Venoshock
- Iron Defense
- Flamethrower

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years

Progress on Ultimate Challenge: Fire Red, Soul Silver, Ruby, Pearl, White 2, Y, Moon

- Did the Kalos Power Plant thing
- Beat Clemont
- Did the spooky route thing and caught a Quagsire
- Beat Valerie

Team:
Spoiler:

Gym Badge Progress: 6/8

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 21, 2021

- Acted in the first Brycen-Man movie at Pokéstar studios
- Defeated Team Plasma and travelled to Castelia City by boat
- Completed the Castelia City Harlequin Hunt
- Defeated Team Plasma in the Castelia Sewers and met Colress
- Caught Drilbur in the Relic Passage
- Defeated Burgh and won the Insect Badge
- Riolu evolved aboard the Royal Unova
- Defeated Colress in Route 4
- Explored the Desert Resort and Relic Castle
- Became CEO of Join Avenue
- Arrived in Nimbasa City and defeated Subway Bosses Ingo and Emmet

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Pekin

Years
Game:
Moon
Island Trials: 7/7
Grand Trials: 4/4
Ultimate Challenge completed!

That's it! Once again, my Fire-type UMC is complete! I've been through a few trials since my last update, so I'm just gonna do an update on the E4.
Oricorio handled itself well at first against Hala, but was taken out by Poliwrath, so Arcanine had to step in with Wild Charge. In the end, I think it was Marowak who took out most of his Pokémon.
Olivia was tough. Had to use a Max Revive, even. I think Turtonator was able to win in the end. Turtonator was MVP for sure during this E4 challenge.
Acerola(?) was kinda tough, as well. Incineroar, Marowak and Arcanine all had to chip in.
I forgot the Flying-type trainer's name, but she was by far the easiest of the bunch. Turtonator was able to set up two Shell Smashes and then just proceeded to wreck her team.

Then there was Kukui. I had a lot of trouble with Kukui. His damn Lycanroc singlehandedly took out three of my Pokémon, before it for some reason decided to set up Stealth Rock, so I could set up with Turtonator and take it out with Flash Cannon. The rest of the battle was a desperate stalling game of me constantly reviving fainted Pokémon. In the end, all I had was Turtonator (again!) against his Ninetales. After surviving a Blizzard that I thought for sure would make me start over, Turtonator finally finished the battle with a Flash Cannon. Crazy difficult battle.

FINAL TEAM:
incineroar.gif

Incineroar, lv. 57 w/ Expert Belt
Male // Adamant // Blaze
- Flare Blitz
- Darkest Lariat
- Cross Chop
- Leech Life
When they were announced, Incineroar was certainly not my favorite starter, but boy, has it grown on me. There's a lot of personality and charm to it for a Dark-type Pokémon that is trying very hard not to be a Fighting-type. All in all, a really cool starter, I think.
arcanine.gif

Arcanine, lv. 56 w/ Quick Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Wild Charge
Throughout this challenge, I wanted to use only new Alolan Pokémon or Alola Forms. That left me with one slot after a bit of team planning, and how could I not fill that slot with Arcanine? An iconic Fire-type ever since its introduction. I don't need to do any sort of analysis of Arcanine, Arcanine is amazing. That's all there is to it
oricorio.gif

Oricorio, lv. 56 w/ Sharp Beak
- Revelation Dance
- Air Slash
- Mirror Move
- Roost
Oricorio felt very much like a generic Normal/Flying bird that also kind of maybe was a bit of a Fire-type. I adore the design, and its dancing animations were really cool, but other than that, it was a little difficult to get excited about Oricorio.
marowak-alola.gif

Marowak, lv. 58 w/ Thick Club
Female // Adamant // Lightning Rod
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Bone
The baddest of the bad, Alolan Marowak is clearly the superior Marowak, because how can you even begin to compare this majestic craziness to the absolute mediocrity that is regular Marowak? 10/10, for design, if nothing else. And, of course, it's crazy strong with Thick Club.
salazzle.gif

Salazzle, lv. 58 w/ Poison Barb
Female // Modest // Corrosion
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
Other than the fact that soft-resetting for this thing took an eternity and a half, Salazzle was super fun to use. Amongst a region of snail-tier speed stats, Salazzle was sure to go first 90% of the time. Couldn't take a hit, though, which made it difficult to set up.
turtonator.gif

Turtonator, lv. 59 w/ Charcoal
Female // Timid // Shell Armor
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Dragon Pulse
- Shell Smash
Oh boy. I did not have my hopes up for Turtonator, and I was not initially planning on using one with a Timid nature. Incredibly, though, a Timid Turtonator with Shell Smash proved to be a REALLY solid strategy. At +2 speed, Turtonator would outspeed almost anything I threw it at. And at +2 Sp. Attack, it would usually OHKO it, as well. MVP for sure against the E4, and just a much more fun Pokémon than I thought it would be.

All in all, fun challenge, I'll have to do this again when Gen 8 comes out!

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
Years
Forum User Name: Talon
Game(s): Ruby

Spoiler:

Years
Alpha Sapphire Poison Monotype - Update #2

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 21, 2021

- Defeated Elesa and won the Bolt Badge
- Drilbur evolved into Excadrill inside the Nimbasa Gym
- Defeated Team Plasma in Nimbasa City
- Magnemite evolved into Magneton on Route 5
- Defeated Charles the heartbreaker
- Visited Rood and Ex-Team Plasma in Driftveil City
- Defeated Clay and won the Quake Badge
- Won the Driftveil Tournament at the PWT
- Defeated Team Plasma aboard the Plasma Frigate
- Caught a Ferroseed inside Chargestone Cave
- Explored Mistralton Cave
- Magneton evolved into Magnezone inside Chargestone Cave
- Defeated Skyla and won the Jet Badge
- Found Prof. Juniper at Celestial Tower
- Took the Plane to Lentimas Town

Current Team:
Spoiler:

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years

- Defeated Olympia
- Defeated Team Flare
- Defeated Wulfric
- Defeated The Pokémon League
- Defeated AZ

Team
Spoiler:

Y is completed! next on my list is Pokémon White 2.

Years
Alpha Sapphire Poison Monotype - Update #3

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back