• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: NDS Pokemon Color Palette Randomizer

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
there's something wrong with the downloads, it just takes me to a link called attachment.php and dosent do anything please fix?

Years
I have finally uploaded the Dropbox-link to my folder.

I wish you all merry Christmas, a happy new year and a lot of fun with my updated program.
I think it looks pretty good now.

Please continue to give me your feedback and suggestions. <3

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
The black 2 second folder "a004_black2" doesn't open in the dropbox, even if you try to download it or browse it

Years
The black 2 second folder "a004_black2" doesn't open in the dropbox, even if you try to download it or browse it

Thank you for your feedback. I have put all the data folders in a zip called "data_folders.zip". Use the option "Extract Here" when you extract it.

Downloading the randomizer should be more user friendly now.

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2016
Thank you very much for the update. Managed to follow the directions correctly to successfully randomize Pokemon Volt White's palettes to palette by type. Do you have any plans for the future with the color by type? As it is right now the pokemon look rather plain as they are one solid color, and there is hardly any color difference from pokemon of the same type. Perhaps color by type could only affect one color of its palette and leave the rest to random hue?

I think the ideal would be where a pokemon still looks radically different, but you can still have some idea of what its new typing is, without pokemon of the same type looking too similar. Though I understand that is easier said than done. Will continue to follow your progress.

And a late happy new year as well!

Edit: It seems that the combination of "Completely Random" and "Slightly vary original colors" always gets the exception "Sequence contains no elements" when used for Black(2)/White(2). Tried it with Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver and there was no exception.

Last edited:

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
Years
Thanks so much for this! Palette randomization is by far my favorite thing about randomizers, and the fact that Gen 3 is the only gen to have a randomizer with one drives me nuts because Gen 3 feels so icky to play to me now.

Years
Thank you very much for the update. Managed to follow the directions correctly to successfully randomize Pokemon Volt White's palettes to palette by type. Do you have any plans for the future with the color by type? As it is right now the pokemon look rather plain as they are one solid color, and there is hardly any color difference from pokemon of the same type. Perhaps color by type could only affect one color of its palette and leave the rest to random hue?

I think the ideal would be where a pokemon still looks radically different, but you can still have some idea of what its new typing is, without pokemon of the same type looking too similar. Though I understand that is easier said than done. Will continue to follow your progress.

And a late happy new year as well!

Edit: It seems that the combination of "Completely Random" and "Slightly vary original colors" always gets the exception "Sequence contains no elements" when used for Black(2)/White(2). Tried it with Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver and there was no exception.

I have made another update now and fixed the exception error.

And thank you for reminding me about the "color by type" option.
I have now assigned a certain hue range for every type and have made the saturation and brightness more variable, which means that every single Pokemon won't have a solid color any more but, for example, will have brighter stripes, a more saturated belly, etc.
Pokemon with two different types will display two different main colors that match their types. These main colors will be variated, too.

I tried to find a good compromise between a good recognition value for the types and a less boring appearance.

I hope you will enjoy my effort.

Years
Thanks so much for this! Palette randomization is by far my favorite thing about randomizers, and the fact that Gen 3 is the only gen to have a randomizer with one drives me nuts because Gen 3 feels so icky to play to me now.

I absolutely agree with you. The gen 3 game sprites look unpleasant but I love the color randomizing option that is included in the gen 3 randomizer.

I tried to use that one as inspiration for my own project and I wanted it to be compatible with the Universal Pokemon Randomizer for the ultimate random experience.

Recently I have started a new game with completely random types and made the pokemon learn moves of that new type. You can do both with the Universal Randomizer. I have a fire-breathing Nidoran F now that actually looks like a fire type and that improves the immersion a lot. Others I have seen are a blueish-green ice type Geodude, a green grass type Kirlia and a steelblue steel type Caterpie.

In other words: I feel like I am playing the game for the first time again because of it's unpredictability. Praize the Randomness.

By the way: I uploaded NPPR to pCloud as mirror. It can be downloaded from there now, too.

There are no complaints coming in, I hope that means that everything runs fine.

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2016
Hey, sorry haven't posted in a while. Business has prevented me from trying out the changes until recently. Across a few separately randomized roms (color by type with randomized types), I find that electric pokemon commonly show up as green, so you might want to tighten up the color selection for them. Normal types also seem to get an odd yellow/green color very commonly.

The only other thing that I've noticed is that how in the randomizer the "Randomize by Evolution Family" options cannot be un-selected which is misleading because it implies that selecting one of those options is mandatory, especially since I find they have a negative impact on a color by type game. For example when I first started randomizing I thought I had to pick one and it threw the colors for evolutions off.

Aside from that and some slightly vague instructions at times (mentioning randomization options that either have different names than they do in the program or don't exist), the program works well. Overall takes a decent amount of attempts until you learn how to do what you want to achieve.

Years
Hey, sorry haven't posted in a while. Business has prevented me from trying out the changes until recently. Across a few separately randomized roms (color by type with randomized types), I find that electric pokemon commonly show up as green, so you might want to tighten up the color selection for them. Normal types also seem to get an odd yellow/green color very commonly.

The only other thing that I've noticed is that how in the randomizer the "Randomize by Evolution Family" options cannot be un-selected which is misleading because it implies that selecting one of those options is mandatory, especially since I find they have a negative impact on a color by type game. For example when I first started randomizing I thought I had to pick one and it threw the colors for evolutions off.

Aside from that and some slightly vague instructions at times (mentioning randomization options that either have different names than they do in the program or don't exist), the program works well. Overall takes a decent amount of attempts until you learn how to do what you want to achieve.

I've restricted Normal types to be only orange-yellow and Electric types to actually be yellow to slightly yellow-green. I've shifted other types as well to the "left". Fighting looks a bit more red-pink, fire more red, etc. I think the colors fit better to the types now.

I've uploaded the changed program to "Update 2" in my first post of this thread. That program is easier to use, because you don't need extra folders with tons of data or to extract or reinsert NARCs anymore, it changes your NDS-ROM directly.

PS: Added a type color chart for better color identification called "TypeOverview.jpg"

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2023
Hi ! This tool is awesome, but i'm trying to do it on the french's pokemon heartgold rom, the full random option is working, but the randomise by type isnt working ; the tools is freezing and dont do anything... But the same things works on us rom ! It was for a stream purpose so i was hoping that i could stream some french game.

I hope you will answer and thanks for this tool !

Years
Okay, so I've taken a look at the French version and have found that the files are in a different place than in the US version.
It works for the US version because I have programmed it with that in mind.

I am currently working to achieve compatibility with the French version.
Stay tuned and I am very glad that you like my program.

PS: The "Color by type" mode is compatible with the French ROM now. At least it works for mine.
Just remember to randomize the types with the Universal Pokemon Randomizer first and nothing else, then use my color by type mode on that newly randomized ROM. Afterwards you can continue to randomize any aspect of the recolored ROM.

Update:
Full compatibility with French and Spanish HeartGold ROM now.

Update: New function
I added a button called "Color bias". You can click on it before hitting the "Randomize" button and pick a color of your liking.
This color (and similar ones) will be more pravalent than usual.

I thought this would be a fun idea to have a bit more interaction with the user.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 27, 2016
I've been having some trouble with the "change one color" in Platinum after changing the type of the Pokemon. I wanted to give a bit of variety to the monochromatic appearance of the "color by type" sprites, and since it worked with Black (and it works great with Black), I assumed it might be the same with Platinum. However, even with the rom with the original sprites (but randomized types), the textbox is the only thing that changes colors while the actual Pokemon sprites stay the same. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a problem with the Platinum rom?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
Excellent work on this tool, I've been having fun with my Platinum, works great. The only issue I have is trying to get the program to randomize 5th gen games , correction, it appears it's only white that I've been having difficulty with, doing it with Black works perfectly. I randomize by type in UPR, then use your program, but it always hangs on "color: 0 stage: 7". I'm fairly certain I'm following the proper procedure, but I wonder if it's something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 15, 2016
Apparently, this doesn't work on french Platinum. It crashes before the end of the operation.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 27, 2016
Would it be possible to add a function to this such as having a Pokemon's family use the exact same coloring + one changed color? For example, Poliwag family blue as normal, Politoed changed from Green to Blue, and all Poli's with a red swirl instead of a black one?

I'm loving this tool so far, using it to create a Pokedex of adversely typed Pokemon.

Back