• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen "I choose you, ___________!"

Which starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Years
I've gone through Platinum with all three starters, in different playthroughs. While in SoulSilver, I've either choose Totodile or Cyndaquil. My run through Chikorita on lasted to just after I beat Falkners Gym before I reset it.

Turbo_Dee

DisrespectDead
Years
In my Platinum game, I chose Chimchar because I love all his evolutionary stages and I never really choose the fire types for my starter so it was a nice change.

In my Heartgold I chose Totodile because he's awesome and water types help a lot :3

Exactly this. Infernape really is a brilliant pokemon for the game, particularly as there is a lack of any decent alternatives until later in the game. The same logic goes into my choice in HG/SS, I pick Totodile because Feraligatr is useful for teaching Waterfall to, and there are decent fire types available in that game. Of course, picking between Houndour and Growlithe ends up being just as hard!

In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, I picked Turtwig, because it is my absolute favorite starter ever because it is a adorable turtle, which eventually evolves into this still adorable but monstrous turtle with a tree on its back. That is badass.

This is why I picked Turtwig when I got round to getting Platinum. I always picture the Giant turtle from that Zelda stage on Super Smash Bros. I imagine if I was allowed that I would neglect my bike in favour of lounging on Torterra's back, drinking tea and pruning his grass, whilst he ferried me about. In my mind we would have a falling out as I attempt to drive an umbrella into his back, you know, for sun protection. He would obviously take exception to that and I would have to treat him to a fancy meal before we could go back to first name terms. That's the dream anyway.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
I chose Turtwig for Both Sinnoh games, and Totodile for my Soulsilver. But in Platinum I traded my Turtwig for a baby Sprittomb as soon as I started. :P

Years
I've generally chosen them all at least once on various playthroughs, but on my first playthrough of each I went with:
Pearl: Turtwig
Platinum: Chimchar
HeartGold: Cyndaquil

I really think it could have gone any way at all with the Sinnoh games- I think the starters are all perfectly weighed against one another, and are all equally valid to use. In HeartGold that's not really the case- I've played through with Meganium and it's just.. nah. With Typhlosion, battles were quick and firey, and Feraligatr packed a punch too, but Meganium just couldn't hack it.

Years
In Diamond I choose Piplup <3 and also in Pearl and but in my first play through of Diamond it was Turtwig and now I have such a soft spot for Turtwig now <3 before I decided to pick Water Types all the way because of my first pokemon which was Squirtle in Leaf Green. So from then on I choose nothing but water types so is SS I choose Totodile!

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Grass Types all the way, well for these Gens anyway. Well I love Chikorita and Turtwig, so yeah.

Years
I have played them all so many times now haha

I've used every starter except Chikorita at least once (I just don't like it as much as the others... and meganium from beilief doesn't make any sense as far as design goes). I used Chimchar and Cyndaquil in the first play through of each.

My most recent "starters: in SS were Gible (last time) and Nidoran (Male) for an all poison type game :)

BiGoDeViN28

Psalm 141:3
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I usually choose the same for each Gen. I've gotten myself in a groove for each game, haha.

GSC/HGSS: Cyndaquil. I never liked Gen 2 starters, but Cyndaquil is alright, haha.
DPPt: Turtwig every time, too. I was drawn to him my first playthrough and from then on continued to use him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
i picked cyndaquil and chimchar i love the fire type i usually pick the fire starters lol.

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2012
Fire all the way. I've never used different starter's type =)
It has always been and will always be fire =)
I love this right here!! Haha I am the same exact way! Its all about the fire types xD Favorite starter will ALWAYS be Charmander! But for this I chose SS Cyndaquil.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I love this right here!! Haha I am the same exact way! Its all about the fire types xD Favorite starter will ALWAYS be Charmander! But for this I chose SS Cyndaquil.
So you could say you chose Cyndaquil in Soul Silver as a sort of equivalent to Charmander? Nice. I've used all three starters in my HG version, as well as the trio in Diamond too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Piplup and Cyndaquil! Cyndaquil is the only reasonable choice for me in Johto as I very much dislike the other two starters and the little fire rodent is utterly adorable :3 As for Piplup, I mainly just choose that for the anime haha. I like all the Sinnoh starters quite a lot so I have no problem with choosing any of them, but I tend to go with Piplup most of the time since Dawn's Piplup is so adorable :3

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Pearl: Chimchar
Diamond: Piplup
Platinum: Chimchar
HeartGold: Cyndaquil

In Platinum did you go by the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and choose the same starter you got in DP or did you go for a different starter amongst the three?
In my second playthrough of Diamond (since it was originally my brother's game but he gave it to me), I picked Turtwig. So, I had all three starters. I picked Chimchar again in Platinum because it worked the best in-game.

In HG/SS you were given a pretty familiar choice that many of us have had to choose from before. Was it Cyndaquil, Totodile, or Chikorita that you chose?
I picked the same starter I used in Gold - Cyndaquil! For nostalgic reasons, hm...

The only time I truly ditched my starter was Tepig in White.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I chose Piplup in Platinum and Totodile in SoulSilver. The water starters just end up being the cutest to me.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I choose you Piplup :3! Ah Piplup,the cute blue penguin that really knows how to show power. Mainly I chose it because when I set my eyes on previews of it's final evolution I honestly thought it was one of the most badass Pokemon ever.

Right now on my second playthrough of Platinum,I chose the tough Turtwig. I try to be different every time I play and since there were great fire types in Sinnoh I had to pick this little guy. He's a pretty decent starter and I'm liking him all the way ^^.

In Heartgold, my choice was the biting Totodile. It's a powerful and deadly physical attacker. I love everything about him :3!

Back