• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you sell your online identity?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Let's assume we live in a world where all our usernames online are in a database of sorts. Every username you've ever had. Let's also assume that we live in a world where usernames are constant. If you're Patchisou Yutohru on PokéCommunity, your username on Twitter is patchisouyutohru, your username on Last.fm is patchisouyutohru, your username on LiveJournal is is patchisouyutohru, and so on and so forth.

Imagine you're sitting on your computer and you check your email one day and there's an email asking you if you would like to sell your online identity (what I mean by that is, someone wants one of your usernames) to someone who wants it. Thing is, they're not asking you to abandon it for them and that's that. They're willing to pay you to do so. Would you do it? Why or why not?

/inspired by wanting to buy Ausaudriel from Audy and use it as a username. .______.

Argenta

Soul
Years
Riko won't sell her identity...Riko doesn't like sharing at all when it comes to something important to her.....i only share happy times and fun things other than that anything i own i prefer to keep it for myself...selfish i know i could share only with the very very very trusted people..and they're rare in my life tbh!

my answer is nope selling my id is kinda like selling my soul!

Years
I've always either used this username or a variation of it online for as long as I can remember, so it might make the decision a little difficult. If a guy offered a couple of bucks or something, I would turn his offer down. I guess without having an actual dollar amount, I'm not sure if I would turn it down or not (and it would also depend on how many sites I was giving up my username on).

Years
Ok.
Making money off a couple of words I threw together one day? Hell yeh; it is like being the laziest writer possible.

Haha. Sure, the username is the face of the person online, but when we use to have name changes, that wasn't an issue. I would just go back to using an older username, or re-register again.​

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
If it's a site I'm not using, sure I'll go for it. A username in a website I still frequent I won't do.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
No. I don't think you can sell names and I wouldn't. I'd prefer to keep it, they can make up their own name.

Years
No. I don't think you can sell names and I wouldn't. I'd prefer to keep it, they can make up their own name.

What about if it was for billions of dollars?

That's the problem with questions like these. Too ambiguous so I always have to give the standardized response of "it depends on X amount of factors".

But OK fine, if the amount was reasonable (if the OP going to be vague then so will I) then I would probably (yeah, more ambiguity just for you) be willing to sell my username.

Years
On every site I go on, I always use this username or a variation of it.

However, I wouldn't want to sell the Hikari10 name and that's that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Money for an identity that I'm not really called by anyways? Sure, why not. I'm rarely called by BinaryPeaches or any variations by friends so changing my identity wouldn't be that much of an hassle. I love this name, sure, but I've changed my username/identity before. It's not too hard to do and you can easily find and tell your friends about it.

'Course, the money would have to be for a reasonable price but if I've changed my identity once I can change it twice and still maintain the social communications that I currently have.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Hell yeah if they offered any decent amount of money. I can always re-register under a new name. A username is just a username after all and people can easily get used to calling you something else after a little while.

Years
Of course I would, as much as I use this name and how much I've learnt to identify myself by it if someone were to offer to pay a decent amount of money I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat.
I have alternative usernames I could switch everything over to anyway.

Years
I dunno. It sounds like it would mean having to find everyone you engage with online (whether friends who you see in person, friends you only know online, prospective employers looking at your resume, etc.) and let them know that you can't be reached at the old name and have to find you at a new one. Like when you get a new phone number or address and you have to let everyone know and even then some people still forget and send things to the wrong place. Sounds like too much of a hassle for anything less than a good lot of money.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years

What about if it was for billions of dollars?

That's the problem with questions like these. Too ambiguous so I always have to give the standardized response of "it depends on X amount of factors".

But OK fine, if the amount was reasonable (if the OP going to be vague then so will I) then I would probably (yeah, more ambiguity just for you) be willing to sell my username.
Same thing for me. Its not like I can't sign up again or something.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While making money off of selling my online identity is tempting, I probably wouldn't do it because I put my heart and soul into coming up with my online names. That, and if I made a new online identity, I might get in trouble for fraud.

Years
All the monies. Forever.

In all seriousness, if it were enough money, I'd sell my username. sammi-san is a bit too weeaboo for me sometimes. Selling it for money would be incentive to come up with something better. I won't sell it for like $10 though. It has to be decent!

Years
I would, as long as it's reasonable. (at least $20)

As much as I like my name, I wouldn't mind changing it to something less...random? I'm not really sure what it is exactly.
Anyway, gettin' dat cash would be a good enough incentive for me.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I imagine 3 or 4 years ago, I'd vehemently say hell no. But times change, and you grow more mature. Today, I'd gladly sell my usernames. For a good price, that is.

Years
I wouldn't be comfortable with that. If someone's willing to fork over money just to get my username, they're crazy. And I don't touch money from crazy people because there's a chance I might get infected with the crazy.

Back