• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: A Mention System

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Ok this is something I think is really important and can be very helpful! Here's my post in the user appreciation thread:
I think either way, some people just aren't gonna be aware they were posted about.
I think this is a valid point, which is why I wanted to suggest a plug-in or a custom feature if you will. I'd put this in its own thread but it's vastly related to this topic so: What if we could create a mention notification system? A way to get notified when someone mentions you? I agree this could be messy, which is why one way could be to use a certain BBCode to make the mention official. For instance:
Yeah, [mention]Team Fail[/mention] and I have been pairs for a few months now!
And Team Fail would in turn get a notification on his UCP about the mention. Idk, just a thought.
I'm never saying tough nuts again...wtf. lol
Hehe, epic.

My view on this is that there are dozens of times when I mention someone in a post and either want them to see it and in turn reply, or just see it for whatever reason. A mention system could go really far! And the best thing is, if we manage to pull off the above ^^, a person would only get notified on the mention if the poster wanted them to be notified, as in intentionally used the [mention] tag or whatever you wanna call it.

What do you guys think? Also, [mention]Ausaudriel[/mention]. :p

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I really like this idea. It's similar to Facebook's mention system and I think it'd fit in nicely on PC. :3

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I love how years ago, so many of us were like "PC ISNT A SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE"
and now a lot of the aim seems to be giving it the typical features of one. Though, that's part of what I like about the site.. That it's not a typical forum. xD

I think this would be a neat feature, if it's even possible in way of codes and / or the server stress.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Ive seen this on another forum and I can tell you it's endlessly useful and a great feature overall. Id love to see something like this here. I see something like this getting a lot of use here, so I'm all for it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I guess this could be adapted as a means to implement a 'quote notification' functionality, if it wouldn't stress the server this way.
In and of itself, a mention system seems... silly. If I wanted someone to see something I would PM them with a link.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I prefer mention to quote notification honestly. I would find it obnoxious to have 2343242 notifications of people quoting me for whatever reason, and I'd like to have more control over when I mention someone - what if I'm in a thread and someone says like:

I'm gonna have some beer tonight!

Then I would say:

Hey! [mention]Razor Leaf[/mention] is an alcoholic, he'd like this post!

But RL was never part of the conversation. Can't really do that with quote notification. They're separate things. Like squares and rectangles: mentions can be used in the way I outlined and to notify someone that you replied to them, but quote notifications can only be used to notify someone that you replied to them. Makes more sense to have one that can do both over one that can only do one.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Yes, please! This would be really helpful, say, in defending our cases or for finding threads where we can contribute or where our opinions, etc. may have relevance.

Spoiler:

and if PC detects a username, it should auto-mention. Not sure how to get around usernames that are normal words, though (otherwise, someone named "the" would get mentioned soooo much lol), but maybe there's a "smart system" for that coded somewhere.

Otherwise, scratch it :v

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
On the DC Universe Online forums, there is a system like so. It's very useful, and can even serve to a shortcut to threads!

It also makes you feel warm and fuzzy in your belly.

Years
So if this were implemented would we get a notification like we do with vms and pms? Would it tell us who mentioned us or what thread we were mentioned in, or would we have to visit the thread to find out?

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Yes, please! This would be really useful! It would make keeping track of conversations really convenient, especially when the thread's moved on from that page to like 10 pages down the line. Perhaps the mentions system could pop up notifications with clickable links rather than put it together with VM/PM notifications so as to distinguish them from each other? Let's give it a try!

Years
From experience elsewhere, I find quote notifications slightly annoying but they can be useful, too. As far as mentions go, I'm 100% for it; it's a very useful feature for people who forget to look at threads again. I know I forget to check back in certain threads sometimes since there are so many in New Users so it would be immensely helpful for me. :3

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I like this idea of a mention! Is there maybe gonna be like in your CP your last 10 mentions? Or will you get a notification for it? Would there then be an option where you could disable those notifications if you didn't want one?

Just some ideas to think of and try and resolve any issues it may bring, but I like this so far!

Melody

Banned
Years
I'd like to see this implemented too!

Personally though I'd like to be able to be (Optionally) notified whenever someone actually quotes your post and/or links to it. I'd also like to be notified if someone posts an active mention like "@Pachy", but still see all the posts my name is mentioned listed somewhere.

Basically what should happen is that I only get a notification count if someone "Actively" mentions my name. If the mention is passive and the post only CONTAINS my name, just list it on my UCP as a mention without actually notifying me, like you would with a like or something like that..

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
This picked up pretty damn quickly xD
Ok let the quoting begin! Or possibly something less enthusiastic!
I guess this could be adapted as a means to implement a 'quote notification' functionality, if it wouldn't stress the server this way.
In and of itself, a mention system seems... silly. If I wanted someone to see something I would PM them with a link.
Not necessarily. I try to refrain from PMing/VMing people about posts I want them to see because I post a lot of posts I want specific people to see. It would get pretty tiring. Another thing is that with this system, I could keep the mention casual. For example, someone says something and I want them to see my reply. It would be kinda weird to go and PM/VM someone you haven't met just to link them to something you want them to reply to (:
A mention is more casual. They know you mentioned them and if they want to reply they do. Otherwise it would seem pretty weird if someone sent me a link and I didn't reply. I'd feel like I was slapping them in the face.
I prefer mention to quote notification honestly. I would find it obnoxious to have 2343242 notifications of people quoting me for whatever reason, and I'd like to have more control over when I mention someone - what if I'm in a thread and someone says like:

But RL was never part of the conversation. Can't really do that with quote notification. They're separate things. Like squares and rectangles: mentions can be used in the way I outlined and to notify someone that you replied to them, but quote notifications can only be used to notify someone that you replied to them. Makes more sense to have one that can do both over one that can only do one.
That's definitely true! Plus, a lot of people don't even use quotes. In quick threads like DCCs and what not, if you want to reply to the immediate above poster, some people just reply. And as you said, if someone isn't involved in a conversation yet you want them to see a post, it would be either difficult or very awkward just finding a random post of their's and quoting it in your post xD
Yes, please! This would be really helpful, say, in defending our cases or for finding threads where we can contribute or where our opinions, etc. may have relevance.

Spoiler:

and if PC detects a username, it should auto-mention. Not sure how to get around usernames that are normal words, though (otherwise, someone named "the" would get mentioned soooo much lol), but maybe there's a "smart system" for that coded somewhere.

Otherwise, scratch it :v
Well that's why there would be a BBCode tag! Without wrapping the username with the [mention] tag, the mentioned user won't get a notification. So in your example, 'the' wouldn't get notified unless people tagged 'the' between [mention] tags and that would be kinda weird heh.
So if this were implemented would we get a notification like we do with vms and pms? Would it tell us who mentioned us or what thread we were mentioned in, or would we have to visit the thread to find out?
I guess that's up to if we use a pre-made plugin or if Audy made a custom feature for PC, in which case it would be up to his best judgement ;)
From experience elsewhere, I find quote notifications slightly annoying but they can be useful, too. As far as mentions go, I'm 100% for it; it's a very useful feature for people who forget to look at threads again. I know I forget to check back in certain threads sometimes since there are so many in New Users so it would be immensely helpful for me. :3
Yeah that's true. Not to mention, if you're having a conversation in the DCC and someone keeps quoting you every time they want to reply, you'd be getting a hell of a lot of unwanted and annoying notifications xD
I like this idea of a mention! Is there maybe gonna be like in your CP your last 10 mentions? Or will you get a notification for it? Would there then be an option where you could disable those notifications if you didn't want one?

Just some ideas to think of and try and resolve any issues it may bring, but I like this so far!
I think I'd prefer a notification. Don't wanna go away for a week and have only 10 of the mentions I got during said week because the rest don't show up xD Plus we don't want a ridiculously long recorded list of mentions in our UCP, unless Audy has the time to design an automated "delete if viewed" system or whatever. A notification would kinda surpass the need for something like that.

Oh an option to disable them would be great too! Some people don't want all those notifications, should be their decision in a way.

This is on my list. I'm going to rewrite some of the code that handles everyday stuff like sessions and fetching posts to make them more efficient (because vBulletin does some really stupid things). Once that's done it'll be more reasonable to start adding features like this.

Also, we aren't going to install the plugin by DBTech because it puts a really ugly obnoxious footer copyright link even if you pay for the pro version. I'd rather code the relevant parts of it myself and not have the copyright.

ASDFGKL;;
YAY! That's great! ^_^

Years
I like the idea of a mention system! It at least notifies users if they get mentioned by another user in a post. However, if that gets a little too annoying, I at least think a quote notification system would do just fine seeing how this is a large forum with posting constantly occurring, your post might get hidden and if quoted, you'll at least know that you got a reply to something (only in assumption that you were quoted in the first place).

Honest

Hi!
Years
For the longest time, I had wanted the quote notification system.

Not anymore! Well, not primarily anyway. I know I complain that PC shouldn't be like other social network sites. I made that obvious when I went against the like system.

This is different though, as this could literally make communications so much better. To be able to get a notification about being talked about is a brilliant idea, and I'd like to see it put into play.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
At the forum I frequent now they have it set to where every time someone mentions your name, likes your post, or quotes you you receive a notification. Granted that site is much bigger and it's harder to keep track of threads, but I think this site is big enough to where it could use this feature.

Admittedly I rarely ever look at a thread so quoting me about something is pointless, but with the mention feature being implemented that could change.

Back