• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
GBA-only? I think not... Pokemon Stadium 2 uses the Transfer Pak, and Pokemon Crystal works fine on it. Also, it's not shifted as I overwrote existing data without changing any alignment.

Hmm. Did not know that. Well Maybe you changed stats or gamecode or something? Or it's looking for an EXACT replica of crystal? IDK about how that works.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Hmm. Did not know that. Well Maybe you changed stats or gamecode or something? Or it's looking for an EXACT replica of crystal? IDK about how that works.
Well I did change the stats... but is there not a way around that?

I also changed moves and evolutions... perhaps that misaligned data. There could be a fix for that?

EDIT:
Solved... required a checksum fix. I can now play it on Pokemon Stadium 2:
20131026_145540b_zps94828c64.jpg

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

Years
I was going to copy some of the data at those offsets and see if it's in Emerald already (otherwise disassemble that...) but those offsets are wierd...

0x3005008
0x2036DFC
0x805A6A8

They all have 7 digits, and should I reverse them? I never know when to do the reverse hex...

You do know that every area in the GBA RAM has a specific area? Like the ROM is 08000000-09FFFFFF?
The 3000000's area is still a RAM area.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 4, 2021
Someone knows if there is a list of the sound effects number ids on Ruby???
The hex id that it is wrote after the sound command.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
The search didn't bring up what I was looking for.

I've been interested in making a hack for quite some time, but I've never been much of a computer/programming guy.

I was wondering if I could take a peek at the source code to know what exactly I may be getting myself into.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
The search didn't bring up what I was looking for.

I've been interested in making a hack for quite some time, but I've never been much of a computer/programming guy.

I was wondering if I could take a peek at the source code to know what exactly I may be getting myself into.
There isn't a publicly available source code for any Pokemon game. Not that much coding experience/skill is required for making a hack, it's mostly just using tools so that wouldn't be necessary anyways.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
There isn't a publicly available source code for any Pokemon game. Not that much coding experience/skill is required for making a hack, it's mostly just using tools so that wouldn't be necessary anyways.

What tools, exactly?

I ask because I've never actually done any modding/hacking before- so I don't know what sort of programs/engines/drivers/etc I'd need.

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
What tools, exactly?

I ask because I've never actually done any modding/hacking before- so I don't know what sort of programs/engines/drivers/etc I'd need.

Head on over to Emulation & ROM Hacking > Toolbox

From there you'll find tools.

Tools you'll need include
  • APE - for editing palettes.
  • Advance Map 1.92, not 1.95 - for creating maps for your game
  • XSE - to script events into the game.
That's pretty much it. Almost everything else is just a luxury, not necessary. I'd say the closest you'll come to actual programming is maybe scripting, which is essentially just pseudo code, if you know what that is. Maybe ASM once you get more advanced.

To use the tools, there's an entire tutorials section as well.

There's an in-depth Advance Map tutorial, Diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial, and many other tutorials that you could take a look at. Best of luck in your learning experience.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Hey guys, did a quick search and nothing came up on the matter so
I understand how to add fonts and hence special characters graphically in FR, but I'm having trouble understanding how to make them show up.
Eg I'm trying to add the symbol γ to the front of a hackmon's name, how do I go about doing this in a pokemon editor tool to have it show up in game?
Thanks

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
Years
Head on over to Emulation & ROM Hacking > Toolbox

From there you'll find tools.

Tools you'll need include
  • APE - for editing palettes.
  • Advance Map 1.92, not 1.95 - for creating maps for your game
  • XSE - to script events into the game.
That's pretty much it. Almost everything else is just a luxury, not necessary. I'd say the closest you'll come to actual programming is maybe scripting, which is essentially just pseudo code, if you know what that is. Maybe ASM once you get more advanced.

To use the tools, there's an entire tutorials section as well.

There's an in-depth Advance Map tutorial, Diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial, and many other tutorials that you could take a look at. Best of luck in your learning experience.

Cool beans.

Thanks for the pointers.

GoGoJJTech

Years
So...
I shouldn't reverse them? Also should I put 0x03005008 (etc.) as the location to goto in my hex editor (Hex Workshop)?

It's a RAM area. So it's not in the ROM. It's in the RAM. It's not data you can just jump to without the emulator

GoGoJJTech

Years
...Oh. Well, since RAM is cleared on starting a game (it is, right?) shouldn't it work just the same with Emerald? Or is it assuming that those certain addresses in the RAM are holding the level data or something?

The RAM is constantly changing. Just google RAM if you don't know what it is since you aren't really getting the idea..

GoGoJJTech

Years
I know exactly what RAM is (Random Access Memory), but I don't know about RAM and RAM addresses in relation to ROM hacking...
Basically, my real question what should I do to make the ASM from FR work in Emerald (what should I change the RAM addresses to, etc.)

Well finding them will be up to you, you must track it down from Em's routine. Plus RAM is the same in GBA. You store whatever you want there, and when you're ready you save what you want to the save file.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
Hello,

I made Gym Leader/Trainer Pokemon catchable in Pokemon Gold GBC, however, there is a problem after catching a Gym Leader's Pokemon:
FalkingFalkner_zps874b94b0.png

No moves are attached to a Gym Leader's Pokemon when captured (modified Falkner to have level 30 Pidgeots).

Has this been done before, and is there a fix? I'm sure it has to do with the battle setting... I could fix it probably, but I don't know if it will allow Pidgeot to keep the Gym Leader's Pokemon move set I gave them.

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
Ok, I'll see what I can figure out.

EDIT: Double post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I have this script that's supposed to mimic what happens in Pokemon Yellow once you step out of Pallet and into the grass. I have it on a script tile (then one that goes when you step on the spot) but it freezes the game when it activates. I've never used applymovement or wildbattle before, but it doesn't even show the msgbox...

Code:
#dynamic 0xOFFSET
#org @start
msgbox @stop 0x2
applymovement 0xFF @turndown
applymovement 0x01 @oak1
msgbox @close 0x2
applymovement 0x01 @turnright

cry 0x19 0x0
wildbattle 0x19 0x05 0x8B
fadescreen 0x1
fadescreen 0x0
hidesprite 0x800F

msgbox @whew 0x2
applymovement 0x01 @faceup
msgbox @anytime 0x2
applymovement 0x01 @tolab
applymovement 0xFF @tolab
waitmovement 0x0
end

#org @stop
= OAK: Hey! Wait!\nDon't go out!

#org @oak1
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x09
#raw 0xFE

#org @close
= OAK: That was close!\nWild POK\h1BMON live in tall grass!

#org @turndown
#raw 0x00
#raw 0xFE

#org @turnright
#raw 0x03
#raw 0xFE

#org @whew
= OAK: Whew...

#org @anytime
= OAK: A POK\h1BMON can appear\nanytime in tall grass.\lYou need your own POK\h1BMON for\lyour protection.\pI know!\nHere, come with me!

#org @faceup
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @tolab
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x08
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x09
#raw 0xFE

Curious question:
scriptd.png

Where it says unknown, do you have it as 0000 or 0003?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
@Airikita, It might sound unrelated but I think it may be somewhat related... but, how did you make Falkner's Pidgeot shiny?
I forced the shiny status for all Pokemon... I might get rid of it, I'm still testing.

Why would you think it's related?

Years
  • Seen Oct 16, 2021
Hi everyone, I've been experimenting for a while and also have been meddling with almost every aspect of ROM hacking. Almost a month ago I recorded all Kanto's and Johto's pokemon anime cries (mostly by downloading anime episodes and extracting the sound samples) and replaced the rom cries with them. I want to make of this ROM an awesome adventure for anyone who wants to experience Pokemon world in some sort of more anime-ish way. ANYWAY, now that I'm satisfied with my results so far, I was wondering if its possible to insert animated or moving Pokemon sprites like the ones used in DS versions (sprites.pokecheck(DOT)org/?gen=1) into an emerald based ROM hack. It would look AWESOME, my pokemon would just come to life. The reason I'm asking this is because I've noticed that emerald sprites are already slightly animated and the sprites have several frames. So, could it be done in any way? Reducing those DS sprites to 64x64 and importing them into the ROM using a program that will keep the animation intact? Is there any theoretical way of doing this? I tried looking for similar answers before asking, but results were to ambiguous. ANY HELP is a blessing to me. Even if the answer is NO. THANK YOU ALL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back