• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Advanced Palette Editing Tutorial

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Advanced Palette Editing Tutorial

Requirements:
  • VisualBoy Advance
  • A Hex Editor
  • Notepad
  • Your ROM
  • A-Colour

6h3e0yq.png

First, open your ROM with VBA and go to the place where there's something you want to change its colors. Then go to Tools -> Map Viewer.

4otsew0.png

There's 4 backgrounds, 0, 1, 2 and 3. The textbox is in BG0. Choose the colors you want to edit from the textbox and write its RGB down in notepad.
We want to edit the blue colors from the textbox, in notepad we should have:
19 25 31 and 15 23 28

Now go back, and go to Tools -> Palette Viewer.
Look at all the blue colors until you find two blue ones that their RGB numbers match with the ones from the textbox.

5yteec4.png

The blue colors of the textbox are there, so we'll have to search for the whole palette in the hex editor (the one in the red circle). If you just search for the two colors, you may edit something else.

The blue color's value that's selected in this picture is "7F33". To search for the palette in the hex editor, you have to write down the values of all the colors in the palette. But to work, you have to flip the first two digits with the last two digits of each value. For example, "7F33" should be "337F".

When you finish writing all the values down and flipping the first two digits with the last two digits you should have:
000029251F00E003007CFF03E07F1F7C5A67000000009C77FF7F337FEF72FF7F

Now, open your ROM in a hex editor, and search for that as a "hex string".

4qgwkdz.png

The hex editor finds the string at offset "1E66B0". Go to "337F" and "EF72", edit them and save. Now you'll need A-Color, find a picture with the colors you want to use, open it in Paint, and choose the colors with the colorpicker. Then go to Colors -> Edit Colors and you'll find the color's RGB numbers.

5yjed76.png

Now open A-Color, put the RGB numbers and select "Give Me My Color!".

52c1lzq.png

Now, flip the first two digits with the last two of the Hex Value, and replace the textbox's blue colors in the hex editor with the two new orange ones.
At the offset "1E66B0", find the two blue colors ("337F" and "EF72") and replace them with "5F13" and "1F2F", the hex values of the two orange colors. Then save. Now open the ROM with VBA.

4m2w6xs.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Charizard

pɹɐzıɹɐɥɔ uǝǝɹƃ
Years
Well done Christos, err, Semele I mean... Nice and simple, it'll help alot of people who can't get their head 'round this.

SerenadeDS

Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
Good tutorial Christos. APE is much easier to use however.

Last edited:

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Well isn't this the same thing as the Palette editing in Zel's tutorial, and if not can't it still be done his way?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
The way is the same as zel's but there's a few things zel's tutorial doesn't have.

And I'll try and make two ways to continue the tutorial after you get in the middle, continue with a hex editor, or use APE.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
Years
Well, I like that you made this but to my knowledge, can't you edit all the palettes in the game with just the VBA and a hex editor. They have both worked for everything that I have palette edited.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
What do you mean? With a hex editor, you can edit any palette, APE's difference is that you can see what the colors are too.

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2010
Thanks for the tutorial, I've been having trouble with my palette editing. I only have one question:

What are the offsets of the Palettes for the empty tile palettes in Advance Map? (In the AM block editor, palettes 13, 14, and 15)

The game is Pokemon FireRed. Thanks!

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Do you know why When I try to change the Tree Colors in Pokémon FireRed to a Pokémon Diamond Tree Color, It always changes Red,yellow and very Light Green. I have the Correct colors and their offsets if it helps:

0000 F747 5033 471A 6709 - The Colors I want to change
0000 F747 5033 471A 6709 8E31 E818 1F7C 715F 1F3B 1D36 D820 9463 2E53 C846 8336 - The whole Color palette.

I want to Over Write the Green Colors with these colors:
4315 36B1 260B 2987 2147 - But I don't know if I could add Palettes(By the way those colors are From Zel's Tree Tiles, I am not going to use his Tree Tile Just the Color).

Thanks for uploading A-Color.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
It should work, but editing the first color of the palette won't do anything.

Back