• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Plastic Bags

Gοяκнaвоii

I am MIRAJ =]
Years
Finally China and Australia are going towards banning Plastic bags (or creating a Levy for them)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/10/2135865.htm

Consumers will pay for plastic bag ban: retailers
The Australian Retailers Association (ARA) says consumers will be the ones who pay if the Federal Government bans plastic shopping bags.

Federal Environment Minister Peter Garrett says he wants a phase out of plastic shopping bags introduced within the year.

The Government is under pressure to act quickly after the Chinese Government yesterday announced plans to ban free plastic shopping bags within six months.

The Association's Richard Evans says retailers have been leading on the issue for over five years with supermarkets already reducing their use of plastic bags by 50 per cent.

"They'll comply, as any legislation will require people to comply, but what will happen is that consumers will pay more," he said.

"You can't legislate to change people's behaviour and that's what we've got here.

"We've got people suggesting that to save the planet you need to legislate - anyone who thinks you can legislate to save the planet is off the planet."

Mr Evans says the Government needs to offer other solutions.

"The issues to us though, is what's the alternative, and where do you draw the line?" he said.

"Do you draw the line at carry bags or what about plastic bags covering dry cleaning, for instance.

"What we need is litter management. Biodegradable bags are being used but there's other alternatives.

"The question is, if you ban plastic bags, what is the alternative - there's been no suggestion from the Government on how to do that."

Mr Garrett will meet his state and territory counterparts in April to discuss introducing a phase-out by the end of the year.

Also, in mX newspaper (Australian Free Newspaper),
The amount of Plastic bags china wastes in a week, australia wastes in a year.
Australian Supermarkets, handout approximately 13 million plastic bags a day.

I think they are finally doing something right... I mean.. we alredy have envio friendly bags =]

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
Years
Eh, I just heard about it on TV a few hours ago. I wasn't really paying attention. Honestly, I'm glad this is finally happening. I'm getting sick of plastic bags floating around everywhere. XD

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
In regards to an alternative, cardboard boxes work for me. Then, where might all the trees come from? Tree farms, of course.

Gοяκнaвоii

I am MIRAJ =]
Years
=]
The main problem i see in the plastic bags LEVY or ban, is that most friut and veg shops use plastic bags (the mini ones) to group similar items together so that they can be kept together, and it is easier for the clerk to serve the customers... you know, the tiny ones =]

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 30, 2009
hmmm....well hopefully they do get rid of them..i dont want to grow up into a world thats all full of rubbish (even though it is pretty bad now)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
I actually saw this in my newspaper this morning. I usually use plastic bags, but I won't mind switching if they ban them in the US. Now when I go to China or Australia (if I ever) no plastic bags will get in my way.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
LET'S GO SEE THE THE PRESIDENT AND THE CANDIDATES!!!!

seriously, paper bags are alot more envierment friendly. I'm glad to hear this- I wonder if the US might take this into consideration?

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 30, 2009

seriously, paper bags are alot more envierment friendly. I'm glad to hear this- I wonder if the US might take this into consideration?
They should take it into consideration, and i think they will, it's only a matter of time:P.

Gοяκнaвоii

I am MIRAJ =]
Years
yes, if you didnt already read, the country that wastes the MOST plastic bags (CHINA) is going to wipe it out by june/july (they said halfway thru 2008)...
now we just need the EU and america to also make a commitment x.x
i think that will decrease the pollution by a MASSIVE amount =]

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 30, 2009
YES IT WILL! and hopefully someday all plastic bags will be gone:P.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
Years

I don't see how paper bags will replace plastic bags. They tear easily don't they? The only thing I think will replace them is one of those cotton bags.

latioslegends

What worries you masters you
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 4, 2019
Well thats a start to helping the enviroment, but unfortunely my country would never do it >.< stupid money grubbing poloticians.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Are we talking about the Ziplock Bags? or the Grocery bags which plague our world?

I remember one story where an American Kroger bag was found in Russia! Blown across the world by wind alone.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I support making people pay for them as first step. That way, people won't pick a bag in the supermarket for two apples and another one for a milk bottle.
We have thousands of bags in our houses. Reusing them would be the first step, as well as changing them for cotton bags (much more resistant than paper bags). Once people gets used to the new system, then I support banning them. If we suddenly ban them, many people would start attacking the decision, and that wouldn't be good.

But, yeah, plastic bags are a plague that must be destroyed. For the sake of the world.

Gοяκнaвоii

I am MIRAJ =]
Years
I support making people pay for them as first step. That way, people won't pick a bag in the supermarket for two apples and another one for a milk bottle.
We have thousands of bags in our houses. Reusing them would be the first step, as well as changing them for cotton bags (much more resistant than paper bags). Once people gets used to the new system, then I support banning them. If we suddenly ban them, many people would start attacking the decision, and that wouldn't be good.

But, yeah, plastic bags are a plague that must be destroyed. For the sake of the world.

I wa thinking that the fruit and vege shops should use paper to bundle things up, or decomposing Plastic bags to hold the groceries since it will be near impossible to remove plactic bags forever...

the levy i would support is:

$1 per plastic bag, and since in australia, theenvio bags are $1, peple will buy them instead, and theyre going to decrease the price to about 50 cents i heard :D
then it wil be really worth it.

and a 10 to 15 C per paper bag.
that'll show the anti-envio ppl xD

Back