• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is difficult Pokemon game good or bad?

Is difficult Pokemon game good or bad

• Good

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Bad

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

KennyKid

scipter
Years
Hey guys. I make this threat just to know if you like a difficult Pokemon game or not.

Because I have seen in a few hack that say "difficult game" or what ever like that.........
And along with it i feel people may like a difficult game.

But in my opinion, an easy pokemon game just make more fun (that's why there are cheat codes :))

Is difficult game really interesting, and if so, what difficult section do you want to play( such as hard pokemons, advance traners, or grasses grow all the time in the street, or super big caves, etc......

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Actually, this depends on your meaning of "difficult". Now if it's difficult where it's fair but still legitimately hard, I like it. By that I mean, difficult gym puzzles, Pokemon with type advantage but are the same level as yours in the gym, stuff like that.

Then there is ridiculous difficult. Where everything is against you if you don't take an hour in grass to train. Stuff like gyms that are 20 levels apart from each other AND have the type advantage, or just impossible enemies, crazy leveled wild Pokemon, stuff like that. I will dislike it and quite possibly hate it.

So again, it depends on what the hack author means by "difficult", but if they do it well enough, I will like it. So, for the sake of the question, I will put that in the poll.

KennyKid

scipter
Years
I like the legitimately hard. :)

The most dificult game I've ever play is Rubydestiny: life of Guardiants, and its difficult is not interesting at all, otherwise, it's annoying. (Althought the story is wonderful)

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
This isn't really an Adv Gen question. I'll move it over to Pokémon Gaming Central though if it becomes a hack discussion I'll move it again to Emulation.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Personally, I prefer difficult games but remember that Pokemon is mostly a game for children. I don't see a 10 years old doing 1 hour training in tall grass just to beat a gym leader. I'd prefer if they give you the choices between difficulty levels at the beginning of the game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
A difficult Pokemon game is a good thing for hardcore gamers, but it's a bad thing for its targeted audience. Pokemon games are suppose to be easy, like the Kirby games, to introduce newcomers to the RPG genre.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I think there's a limit you have to put on it if you're talking opponent difficulty. I played the Dark Rising hack and just gave up eventually because everything became way too ridiculously over leveled in such a short amount of time. When I play a hack I'm there for the story, not for ridiculously long hours spent grinding. That doesn't apply to all hacks though, just a few I've played. I like games that will get progressively harder, and not, as Golden Warrior put it nicely, jumping 20 levels in between gyms.

If that's what you like though, by all means.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I prefer difficult. I usually one-shot everything, so I need a challenge.

Unfortunately Challenge Mode in B2W2 was handled poorly. It's not available from the start, so you can't play through the game with it. Also, it doesn't give any bigger reward for completing the game that way, which IMO is the whole reason why I would play a higher difficulty.

KennyKid

scipter
Years
I think there's a limit you have to put on it if you're talking opponent difficulty. I played the Dark Rising hack and just gave up eventually because everything became way too ridiculously over leveled in such a short amount of time. When I play a hack I'm there for the story, not for ridiculously long hours spent grinding. That doesn't apply to all hacks though, just a few I've played. I like games that will get progressively harder, and not, as Golden Warrior put it nicely, jumping 20 levels in between gyms.

If that's what you like though, by all means.
Sorry if I my words make you that I'm speaking ill of other hack, sorry about that.
Anyways, the favourite part of game hack is the story, which in Pokemon Ruby Destiny is the best.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I would like a more difficult game in the sense that trainers (maybe gym leaders/elite four in particular) would use specific strategies.

So not difficult in a every pokemon is overpowered sort of way, just in a "I have to think about this situation carefully" kind of way.

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
I don't just like it, I love it!
They're challenges, and I'm all about challenge.
Difficult games are even more enjoyable than easy games in my opinion.
Easy games just don't have any challenges and all, some people got tired of that.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Difficult is better, it's no fun breezing through these so called gym leaders.

Years
I prefer harder games - a game that spoonfeeds the player isn't fun. However I prefer difficulty in the form of surprising, sensible movesets and type countering over difficulty in the form of evasion hax, excessive grinding and 1530 BST bosses without warning.

(Although this sort of difficulty is rather difficult to create from the perspective of the creator, as the AI can't use more complex strategies like Taunting/Tormenting, subseeding, paraflinching, BP chains, etc., effectively, unless it's through pure luck.)

Years
Difficulty is usually a good thing. A game that's too easy isn't really that fun or rewarding. Having said that, there are certain types of "challenge" that are more acceptable than others. As an example, I'm playing Crystal, and a lot of the Gym Leaders use some pretty clever strategies that provide a fair amount of challenge if you're not soloing the game with an overleveled starter (e.g. Chuck's Mind Reader + Dynamicpunch combo, or Morty with Hypnosis + Dream Eater). This is the good kind of challenge, having a competent opponent that tests your abilities.

On the other end of the spectrum, the earlier games are plagued with inexplicably sparse level-up movepools (as anyone who ever tried training a Voltorb, Pineco, or Hoppip in Gen II found out), TMs are rare and non-reusable, and many of the moves available are simply bad. The wild Pokémon are low-leveled, which in itself is the sort of boring easiness that makes a game unenjoyable, but then it's harder to prepare for the more difficult gym fights (and that's before you get to Kanto; oh man what was Game Freak thinking?) These are the kinds of "challenges" I find detract from the game experience rather than adding to it.

The perfect game challenges you in the right ways while also giving you a break every once in a while.

Lolcatcomics

Novice Geek
Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2013
i think that all games should be easy enough that you can beat any given challenge on the third try without spending hours mindlessly grinding or cheating.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
I generally do like more difficulty, but a lot of hacks I have played did it wrong. Having routes that go on for ever and ever with dozens of trainers that spam status moves is more tedious than difficult.
Pokémon's mechanics don't lend themselves to genuine difficulty considering that difficult trainer battles often simply means more back tracking to a Pokémon Center to heal up.
I guess if every trainer was a gym-leader like challenge where losing is a serious possibility that might sound fun at first but might become tedious rather quickly.

Back