• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Global MMORPG

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2019
Game name: Pokemon Global
Made with: Java, using the Slick and LWJGL frameworks
Introduction:
Pokemon Global is a fan-made MMORPG which is currently being developed. This game will bring an experience similar to that of the original Pokemon games, while adding cool new features, such as online battles and trading. We have further information at our website, http://pokeglobal.u-dev.net .

Our project is unique among many in that we have a policy of openness. This means that you will be kept posted on development almost constantly. Releases come quickly as well. We also support multiple OSes in accordance with Java support. Macs and Linux computers can also run Global.

Story:
You are a new trainer in a foreign region. Your journey begins when you take your first Pokemon from the local Professor; after that, you are free to choose your destinations. People around the game world offer you quests. Many are part of a larger plot in which you face off against members of a criminal Pokemon-using syndicate. The ultimate goal of the game is to achieve Pokemon mastery; however, there are limitless quests that can be done before that is achieved. Other players can provide inexhaustible challenges.

Screenshots/Video:
In the way of media, we have an older video at http://youtube.com/watch?v=uvukJIVN88w , as well as:

These are OSX screenshots - the game also functions on Windows.

Features:
  • Online battling and trading
  • A Pokemon-style, massive multiplayer game world
  • Limitless quest potential
  • Player grouping
  • A fast release cycle and active development

Staff:
Leader - Professormedia
Developers - Pivot, Ryan, ZombieBear
Web - Professormedia, ZombieBear
Forum Management - Miledy, Mascot1063, Roland of Gilead
Graphics - open
Mapping - open

How to Help:
We can always use some:
  • Java developers
  • Mappers
  • Graphical designers for the game interface
  • Other (contact us with whatever you think you can contribute)

If you're interested, PM me/post a thread on Global forums or reply here.

Web Resources and Downloads:
We have a small web site under construction at http://pokeglobal.u-dev.net . There is a downloadable demo in the forums; it is buggy, but functional. The demo is mainly a proof of concept for what we are developing.

Last edited:
Years
Wow, another MMORPG. But because Mapping is open.. then can I apply? I have no current projects due to the fact I lost my computer in a house fire >.> So I'm totally free. If you want to, pm me, and I'll show you a screeny a pokemon map I did. Looks good so far. Good luck!

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2015
Hi there Pivot. You hve a nice game going on I will keep
checking up on it. ^^

-ChronicNightmare-

Pkmn_knight

A Knight Of Pokemon
Years
Yes... Maybe the makers on break anyway.
If you want examples of my mapping i could try making a new few maps to show.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2019
Sure. Are any of you familiar with the Tiled map editor? Unfortunately, I can't link to the forums here, but the instructions are in the Multi-Purpose Room.

We're not using any game engines or RPG Maker-type apps, so you're probably not familiar with the mapping environment.

Anyway, we can use any and all help. Please don't hesitate to PM me with any sample maps you'd like to provide.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2019
I've put up a new mapping tutorial for you all. It's at http://pokeglobal.sourceforge.net/mapedit/ , if you want to see it.

EDIT: I'll also give you a quick overview on progress, lifted from my post at the official forums:

Okay. We haven't released much on development progress since the public release, so with the Game forums open I'd like to tackle that issue.
  1. What has been done since the milestone release?
    This is a tough one. Most of us are fairly busy, but I admit that more could have been done in that timespan. We're taking steps toward further development; the move to Sourceforge will hopefully open up progress. However, we need bug reports so we can fix the current problems!
  2. What are our plans, if any, for the future?
    Well, that's tough to say. The current goal is parity with the big fish in the PokeMMO arena - that is, POL. To achieve that, we'll be fixing up battling and movement.
  3. Are we changing anything in the existing release?
    I'm planning on taking out the database, first and foremost. It's caused no end of trouble. Outside of that, we'll try to address any bug reports that are filed. A rewrite isn't in the cards right now, but it is a consideration if the issues are extensive enough.
  4. What can be done to help?
    This really is dependent upon your skill set. Developers are always sorely needed. If you think you have the Java knowledge to help, go ahead. You can check out our code at http://sf.net/projects/pokeglobal (Code -> SVN) to get an idea.
    Graphical designers could be useful - we are in need of a better tileset at this point. Individual sprites and tiles are not really needed. A logo could be helpful as well. Mappers are needed also.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2009
it looks like an awesome game

It seems really well built. have fun making it =>

Last edited:

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
Years
The last post is over a month old, probably tjis won't be closed because it's only 2-3 days extra.

You have hardly described any progress anyway?

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2019
We're setting up our SVN and development environment. The code is already out there for you.

I've released an easier-to-play demo (pre-alpha) at http://pokeglobal.sf.net/game/client.jnlp . This link will always contain the latest mainstream release, so check back frequently.

More updates are coming. Right now, we're working on a massive revamp from the high-dependency, heavyweight Slick to the light, low-requirement Swing. This will give people more flexibility and let us develop with less restriction. It will also increase the speed of the game.

Back