• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Idea] Super Mario Bros. 4 (New Name Needed)

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
[Idea] Super Mario Bros. 4

You probably thought that this was going to be a 3DS game, but that title is the name for a new game that I would like to create with the help from you guys. I haven't got much about this game planned yet, but here are some basic elements:

Enemies
Koopa Troopas
Paratroopas
Goombas
Paragoombas
Bidddybuds
Para-Biddybuds
Tail Goombas
Tail Thwomps
Tail Bullet Bills
Tail Bob-Ombs
Tail Boos
Draglets
Prongos
Stingbies
Fake Blocks
Peepas
Wallops
Blokkabloks
Grand Tail Goombas
Piranha Plants
Venus Fire Traps
Petey Piranha
Hammer Bros.
Boomerang Bros.
Fire Bros.
Ice Bros.
Sledge Bros.
Sumo Bros.
Thwomps
Thwimps
Whomps
Whimps
Rhomps
Podoboos
Lakitus
Spinies
Pidgits
Wigglers
Squigglers
Coin Coffers
Chain Chomps
Chain Chomplets
Amps
Nibbles
Fire Chomps
Buzzy Beetles
Bob-Ombs
Sockops
Cheep-Cheeps
Big Berthas
Bubbas
Air Cheeps
Blurp
Spray Fishes
Boss Basses
Deep-Cheep
Mega Deep-Cheep
Lava Bubba
Crusties
Porcu-Puffers
Rip Van Fish
Bullet Bills
Boos
Spike Tops
Snailicorn
Spikes
Snow Spikes
Stone Spikes
Clubbas
Tubba Blubba
Pansers
Shy Guys
Fly Guys
Snifits
Snufits
Bandits
Chuck Guys
Submarine Guys
Torpedo Teds
Cosmic Clones
Dorries
Bloopers
Terrapins
Note Thwomps
Magikoopas
Boom Boom
Pom Pom
The Koopalings
Bowser Jr.
Bowser

Power-Ups
Super Mushroom
Fire Flower
Ice Flower
Starman
Mini Mushroom
Blue Shell
Penguin Suit
Super Leaf (SM3DL style)
Statue Leaf
Propellor Mushroom
Cloud Flower
Rock Mushroom
Frog Suit
Hammer Suit
Boomerang Flower
Boo Mushroom
Spring Mushroom
Red Star
Bee Mushroom
Dash Pepper (Yoshi Only)
Bulb Berry (Yoshi Only)
Blimp Fruit (Yoshi Only)

New Power-Ups
Dark Flower
Enables Mario and co. to frow Dark fireballs, which become mini black holes that suck in all enemies within a certain range.
Magic Wand
Enables Mario and co. to cast different spells by pressing the run button with a combination of different D-pad buttons.
POW Mushroom
Works just like the POW Block, but you have to Ground Pound in order for it to work.
Golden Mushroom
Makes Mario and Co. run or swim faster when the run button is pressed.
Vampire Suit
Turns Mario and Co. into vampires, where they can turn into a bat and fly for a limited amount of time. They can also bite enemies by pressing the run button, when they can also stick to enemies (It will be required to complete some levels).[/spoiler]

Yoshis
Green Yoshi (No Special Effect)
Red Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become fireballs)
Blue Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become Bubbled Items)
Yellow Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become Coin Blocks)
Pink Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become letters from Peach with 1-Ups)
Cyan Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become ice blocks)
Brown Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become Rocks, which can be spat at enemies and eaten againf ro the same use)
Orange Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become lava, which can hurt Mario and co. and destroy enemies)
White Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become Lakitu Clouds, which let Mario and co. fly for a limited time)
Black Yoshi (Swallowed Enemies become Coal, which is like a rock but it can hurt enemies that rock's can't, such as Bullet Bills.)

Playable Characters
Mario
Luigi
Blue Toad
Yellow Toad
Cyan Shy Guy
Daisy
Pink Toadette
Purple Toadette
Geno
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Toadsworth
Kooper
Bowser Jr. (After you've beat all of the regular worlds)

Plot
The plot would be the normal one, with Bowser kidnapping Peach. This time however, he has summoned lots of the different bosses from every game and he is much more confident with his gigantic army that when you catch him at the end of the game, he's sitting in his castle and he couldn't be any less prepared. You take the chance to attack him, but he sees you and that's when the final battle would begin.
Strangely enough, that actually isn't the final battle. Once you have defeated Bowser, Wart appears and kidnaps Peach. This time, she's taken into Subcon (Referred to as the Special Worlds) and you have to rescue her again. The worlds in the Subcon don't have themes, so you could have a Ghost House one level and an Underwater one next.

Worlds
Each world has 8 levels, along with a Tower and Castle. here are all 12 Worlds:
World 1: Grasslands
World 2: Deserts
World 3: Underwater
World 4: Underground
World 5: Sky
World 6: Beachfront
World 7: Space
World 8: Music
World 9: Jungle
World 10: Urban
World 11: Ghostly
World 12: Lava

Team
Owner: Me
Co-Owner:
Spriter(s):
Mapper(s):
Story Creator(s): Me
Enemy Creator(s):
Power-Up Creator(s):
Level Designer(s): Me
Allround Suggesters:

I'm looking for help making this game. It's going to be a 3D platformer, much to the style of Super Mario 3D Land. However, there will be no timer unless you get onto Prankster Comets, because I'll have all of the variations from Super Mario Glaaxy back, but you can tell which is which because it will say. So, can you guys please help me? You can also suggest enemies and power-ups to be used, both old and new. I'll need help with practically everything, so I'll appreciate everything that you guys help me with. For what's probably going to be a more updated thread, go and check: http://forum.pokestadium.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5642&p=297211#p297211.

If I forget to update this thread, then can members of my team plase remind me to via PM or VM? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Maybe instead of grandiose plans for a game that would be a challenge for Nintendo themselves to make, you should try putting those level designing skills (and more importantly, see if you can really manage a project to make a proper game) to the test and make a Super Mario World hack with all-new levels, or something?

Otherwise you're going to be sitting on your thumbs looking for artists (Why does a 3D game need sprite artists instead of texture artists and 3D modellers? What's the difference between a 'mapper' and the level designer?) and someone to program an extensive recreation of the 3D Mario game engine.

You've only provided one worthwhile skill to somebody who wants to put in the effort to develop for your game, so it would probably be a good idea to have something that can show people you know what you're talking about instead of empty ideas and a list of characters and enemies that makes it sound like there's no coherent focus going on. People don't commit themselves to games just because some guy made a story that sounded cool - the story for a Mario game of all things.

Last edited:

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
I've worked on Super Mario Bros. X for quite some time. I was starting to get pretty good at it until I realised that I had too many Power-Ups available. I did make an extremely hard Bonecoaster level with one Power-up and lots of lava based enemies.

I do actually think that you've gave me something to think about, though. By the way, a level designer is someone who can't 3D map, but tells the mappers what to do. For example, person 1 would tell person 2 that a desert level with lots of Chain Chomps and Cloud Flowers would be a good level for World 2, if you know what I mean.

I'm having a debate on the other website and I think that Super Mario Bros: The Found Terrains would be a good name. What do people here think? Just so you know, it is meant to be a referrence to the Lost Levels.

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
Years
Well, what are you gonna use for creating the game? Or do you want, as The 100 Mega Shock suggested, to create the game engine from scratch? If 2D game, okay. But 3D is a whole other level (and I don't have experience with that yet).

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
I don't know what to make the game with, but would I be able to do it with a normal 3D game creator? I don't know what any are called, so if I can make the game with a 3D game creator, would you link me to one?

Ayutac

Years
I don't know what to make the game with, but would I be able to do it with a normal 3D game creator? I don't know what any are called, so if I can make the game with a 3D game creator, would you link me to one?
Well, that would be one of the first things to think about… your mappers need a place to map, right? I'm sure there are a lot of 3D game makers, but many will cost money and I don't know any. If not, you would have to program everything from scratch, meaning it will be awful, because you have no idea of 3D. Would take ME sometime to have a polygon and decide if a point is inside or outside. So I would simply made everything convex or even just as quaders for the start. And it should probably made in C++, too. Wow, how painful.

So since you really seem to have no idea or experience how to actually implement anything and you can only provide the idea itself, I would agree with The 100 Mega Shock again and suggest you start working with a hack of a 3D game.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
I decided to go for a simple 2D game. It's not going to be a hack of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but the graphics are going to be extremely similar to the ones of that game. Do you think that that would be a better idea? Also, I think I'll keep SMB4 as the title.

Ayutac

Years
Concerning me, it sounds better, yes. Much less of difficult. A screen like this
new-super-mario-wii-20090602032850764.jpg

is far away from being impossible. I'm still suggesting you should take a look into hacking, because I assume that would be the simpliest way. If not, I would like to do some well programming (in Java) as an exercise for me, but please don't expect I could offer too much time. I would be able to give you some help, through.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
That's good, It might resort to being a NSMBW Hack in the end (I tried making one once actually. What you'll see out of the brackets is why I'm unable to make a hack), but I couldn't get a good working version of Dolphin (It doesn't work on my computer) or a decent NSMBW ROM, seeing as that .rar files don't work on my computer an neither does Dolphin, so I couldn't test the .iso ones.

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
Bump, along with some progress statements:

The storyline is going to be changed to stray from the standard Peach is kidnapped concept.
Players will be selected before entering a level.
A Mushroom Car will be the only character overworld used because that is how the group will move around.
Players will have special abilities, but Luigi is the only one who has his confirmed. He can jump higher but has less traction like in every one of the newer games.

Back