• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do Regional Dexes work?

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I may be doing something wrong but I don't think
Code:
pbUnlockDex(x)
or
Code:
pbLockDex(x)
work. I have always used Dex depends on location, but want to change it so I can have a more realistic pokedex later and inlcude the option to choose which dex you are viewing. I have an event that gives the player the pokedex, and then unlocks the 3rd dex in the list by using
Code:
pbUnlockDex(2)
However, it still shows up as only having the Kanto dex unlocked, and no pokemon in it, as At this point in the game there are none of the first 151 pokemon available.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I may be doing something wrong but I don't think
Code:
pbUnlockDex(x)
or
Code:
pbLockDex(x)
work. I have always used Dex depends on location, but want to change it so I can have a more realistic pokedex later and inlcude the option to choose which dex you are viewing. I have an event that gives the player the pokedex, and then unlocks the 3rd dex in the list by using
Code:
pbUnlockDex(2)
However, it still shows up as only having the Kanto dex unlocked, and no pokemon in it, as At this point in the game there are none of the first 151 pokemon available.
They do work, and there's a lab assistant in the example maps who'll make full use of them. The first Regional Dex is unlocked by default (but that's only relevant if DEXDEPENDSONLOCATION is false).

You've got DEXDEPENDSONLOCATION=true. This means that the current region's number is always the Dex used - locking/unlocking is irrelevant and does nothing.

You'll want to set it to false, and then lock/unlock Dexes whenever you need to. If there's only one valid Dex (i.e. unlocked and contains at least 1 seen species), then it will be opened automatically rather than going to the Dexes menu.

In my opinion, having this setting be false (and playing with locking/unlocking) is far superior to having it be true (depends on location). You can get exactly the same effect as the latter, plus you can access the National Dex at all (if you want it in your game), and you can choose which viable Dex to access at will.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
They do work, and there's a lab assistant in the example maps who'll make full use of them. The first Regional Dex is unlocked by default (but that's only relevant if DEXDEPENDSONLOCATION is false).

You've got DEXDEPENDSONLOCATION=true. This means that the current region's number is always the Dex used - locking/unlocking is irrelevant and does nothing.

You'll want to set it to false, and then lock/unlock Dexes whenever you need to. If there's only one valid Dex (i.e. unlocked and contains at least 1 seen species), then it will be opened automatically rather than going to the Dexes menu.

In my opinion, having this setting be false (and playing with locking/unlocking) is far superior to having it be true (depends on location). You can get exactly the same effect as the latter, plus you can access the National Dex at all (if you want it in your game), and you can choose which viable Dex to access at will.

Mine is set to false and they aren't working

EDIT: I just downloaded version 11 again and checked. It is working in essentials but not in my game which means I messed something up XD sorry this doesn't belong here anymore. Any idea what I might have done though?

EDIT2: Nevermind. I am pretty sure it is because of a custom menu system that doesn't call for the pokedex to open correctly. I think I know how to fix it

Last edited:
Back