• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Raikou, Entei and Suicune!

Altair1

Willpower
Years
After beating the Elite Four and registering at least 60 Pokemon in your Pokedex to obtain the national upgrade in FR/LG you'll have the chance to run into either Raikou, Entei or Suicune roaming around Kanto depending on the starter you chose.
If you obtained Bulbasaur you'd encounter Entei. If Charmander then you'll see Suicune and if Squirtle, Raikou.
I actually thought it was going to be a real pain to track them down (not to mention catch with no master ball), but it was really easy.

~ If you'd like to read over the strategy I used ~

Spoiler:

Did you bother catching your legendary beast? and if so, was your method different from mine?

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I have played FR/LG so many times so I am sure at one point that I did encounter one, but I am positive that I never caught them. I would have if I had saved my Master Ball, but I was just too lazy to catch them otherwise.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
It's not just defeating the league, you need to catch 60 Pokémon and recieve the national dex, obviously.

I've gone through FR 3 times, each time picking each starter, only ever coming across entei, I forget which one I picked to start with for him.

My strategy was Route 11, encounter it, attack it, switch to Vermillion city, and back, and repeat till it appears, rinse and repeat untill his/her/it's HP is red, False Swipe, then catch in the next battle.

Time consuming, but worth it.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
I have played pokemon FR/LF too many times and Its does need to complete Pokedex to 60 by catching 60 Kanto Pokemons. After that i was thinking how to encounter A raikou or entai, I am not so interested in Suicane ;) And i used a Ultra ball to catch a Raikou. i forgot which starter.

And my strategy was - don't even know that will i can encounter it cause its too hard to encounter i though no i can't catch him cause I can't even find him ! But suddenly when walking on route 11 in my first Encounter it was Raikou i shocked then i catch it (by wasting 29 OR 28 balls) It was too hard for me to catch then i train it and teach the Raikou very good movesets and i didn't wast the Master ball on just a 50 lvl Legendary i Prefer to use it To catch Mewtwo.

Years
I always capture the legendaries on every playthrough. I can't remember which appeared for squirtle, I think it was Entei(?). Anyway, I never use any other kind of pokeball beside the original. Sure it may be harder to catch it, but it felt more challenging and made me feel like a true master doing it this way. To add, I "sometimes" don't even bother to lower his hp to catch it; mostly cause I want to see how long, and how many pokeballs it will take me to catch him. I prefer it this way, because why would I use a masterball and get it over with? It adds no challenge, and it most likely will just be sent to the pc, and I wouldn't even bother to use it. Since I feel like I earned worked for the legendary, I train them to lvl 100 because its fun.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
It's not just defeating the league, you need to catch 60 Pokémon and recieve the national dex, obviously.

I've gone through FR 3 times, each time picking each starter, only ever coming across entei, I forget which one I picked to start with for him.

I've added more relevant info in the original post. You must have chose Bulbasaur to come across Entei. The legendary should have an advantage against your starter.
Choosing Bulbasaur you'd encounter Entei, Charmander for Suicune and Squirtle for Raikou.

i didn't wast the Master ball on just a 50 lvl Legendary i Prefer to use it To catch Mewtwo.

I did the exact same thing, the Master Ball just suits Mewtwo so much in my view.

To add, I "sometimes" don't even bother to lower his hp to catch it; mostly cause I want to see how long, and how many pokeballs it will take me to catch him. I prefer it this way, because why would I use a masterball and get it over with?

You're very patient if you choose not to weaken it haha!

Last edited:

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I didn't know this :O

I haven't ever encountered one of them... and I've played the games a lot!

Next time I pick up my Leaf Green I'll have to catch mine.

Years
They were difficult to catch but sadly because I know about the roaming IV glitch I won't really be using them much.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I did catch my Raikou pretty quickly after unlocking it. It appear in Route 2 after I battled an Pidgey. I caught it in an Masterball as I do with all roamer pokemon.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Explain this glitch? Never heard of it :o

The roaming 'Individual Values' glitch sets roaming Pokemon's IVs really low.
There is also another glitch. If Raikou or Entei uses 'Roar' in the wild battle. You'll never find it again!

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I was unaware of this until I saw Entei just randomly pop up while I was walking in the grass. Luckily I had my Masterball ready, and now Entei is sitting comfortably in a box in Pearl haha.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I caught them to complete the Pokedex. I got Suicune on LeafGreen and Raikou on FireGreen. There was already an Entei on another LeafGreen (which I purchased so I could get Bulbasaur) along with a bunch of other Pokemon that I traded over to my other games.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Played played FireRed for approximately four times, and out of all the playthroughs, I've been able to encounter the legendary beasts only twice. First, it was Suicune (which I've encountered in my second run), and then it was Raikou (managed to run into it in my third playthrough). I haven't been able to capture any of them successfully, but I believe Suicune was the closest. As soon as I stumbled into it, I threw an Ultra Ball the Pokémon. The ball rolled for about two to three times. After that, Suicune broke free. If I was able to capture it though, then I would've trained it up to level one-hundred and kept it with me at all times. Suicune is my most favorite legendary Pokémon, and have been in love with it ever since Gold and Silver. Plus, since this Pokémon is one of the fewest legendaries that isn't banned, I could have transferred it to my fourth-generation games quite easily and used it in online play. Suicune is powerful, but it certainly isn't overpowered. Its defensive stats are very high, which make it a great staller. It could even go head-to-head with Pokémon like Heatran, Skarmory, Hippowdon, and Blissey, some of the most amazing stallers in the competitive battling scene. d:

Last edited:
Years
I remember searching for the roaming Entei back in FireRed, and I was lucky I had heard about the Roar glitch before, so I had a Pokemon with Hypnosis ready just in case. I'm pretty sure I ended up finding it on Route 1 right before I caught it, and then I proceeded to put it in my PC, never to be used again (the next game I played was HeartGold, so I didn't even bother transferring it over).

RimasLT

My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
Years
Suicune - liked the design,caught it. Its so pretty liquid :D

Raikou & Entei - blahh I do not need them,they're both ugly for me.

Last edited:
Back