• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Black People in Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johtomasterandlover

I´m the best of Johto
Years
I'm mexican but my skin tone is white, and because i'm not like all mexican stereotypes (more-like-brown-skin-tone) all call me "gringo or guero" (words here in Mexico to refer the people in USA). But i don't feel discriminated, i think that all has to be with the person himself, we come in all tones of colors and i don't discriminate anyone (i've a lot of friends and we never discusses about etnicies) but if you can laugh of yourself (i'm white so always i say that i'm a vampire with anemia haha) then you're lost, when Ludicolo comes in R/S/E all my friends say: What!!! They're making fun of us, a pokemon like a mexican dude come on. I, really laugh at it and say: Ey, a Mariachi Pokemon haha, that's the reason i think Jynx color was irrelevant, what's the problem for being black? I think that that's not a offense to anybody (of course, if you accept yourself).

I agree into that, the thing is not everyone is like us,but seriously, if when i laught out of myself i get lost then throw me to the Lost Island coz i simply can´t be more lost than i am now.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
Years
I agree into that, the thing is not everyone is like us,but seriously, if when i laught out of myself i get lost then throw me to the Lost Island coz i simply can´t be more lost than i am now.

I'm wrong haha it was but if you can't laugh of yourself, sorry. And yeha, i hope someday all of us can accept what we are and live happy n_n

Johtomasterandlover

I´m the best of Johto
Years
I'm wrong haha it was but if you can't laugh of yourself, sorry. And yeha, i hope someday all of us can accept what we are and live happy n_n

So......( IM JUST DYING TO ASK )
What´s Mexico like?
Im planning to go over here( here i mean for you in location )someday

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
Years
So......( IM JUST DYING TO ASK )
What´s Mexico like?
Im planning to go over here( here i mean for you in location )someday

The true is that is BEATIFUL!!! And not because i'm from here, really is a beauty of country (same as yours, i've plans to go for the Olympic games in 2016) but is a little bit unsecure, too much thiefs haha. In the other side my state is a complety mess (a lot of people killed by shots, drug carters, whatever) but is a beauty too. I recomend that you come, you'll not regret but be careful (if you're gonna be to a beach, is a little more secure) =)

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
There have been Black People in Pokemon. Dahila or whatever her name is, she is black. SOme people say Spencer from The hoenn Battle Frontier is but not too much.

SuperLightning

Eevee Lover and Trainer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 5, 2010
Black people in pokemon eh? sounds interesting, but there is still little chance of that.
anyway, i used to think dhalia was black, but she was named after a flower, that only/mostly grows in hispanic countries, so shes hispanic. When i was a little little kid i thought brock was black lolwut.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
Years
I would love to see black characters in the anime and games. However, I'm not gonna stop playing, nor do I have a problem with the games because there are not any black characters in it.

Also, I agree with it being kind of hard to create a black character. I've tried many times to create a black character for my avatar but it never quite looked right. Not that I'm comparing myself to the guys at Game Freak but...

Maybe some day we will. Maybe that will be one of the ways that BW revolutionizes the series. IDK...

SuperLightning

Eevee Lover and Trainer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 5, 2010
Japan just needs to realize that fuller lips doesn't mean giant blow up rafts to swim with.
come to think of it are there any asian characters in pokemon? i don't see any slanted/thinner eyes....

and honestly, finding a black person in japan is as hard as finding a shiny pokemon i would imagine.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
Years
Just like to state this because I forgot to put it in my first post.
4Kids would dub it and make the person white.
So there might be African cultures, but 4kids... Darn them...

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2011
LMAO! This thread is mad funny! I always said some anime's were racist like why the hell did they invent jinx? All black, fat lips? really? Thats almost as bad as Mr. Popo in Dragonball Z. I understand the all black part...but the LIPS!!!!

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
Years
LMAO! This thread is mad funny! I always said some anime's were racist like why the hell did they invent jinx? All black, fat lips? really? Thats almost as bad as Mr. Popo in Dragonball Z. I understand the all black part...but the LIPS!!!!

I understand why Jynx was considered racist because of the lips and the hair and the skin and stuff but I (and I'll probably be shot, flamed, insulted and everything else that can be done on a forum for typing this, but) I honestly didn't think it was meant to portray a black woman.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
Sadly, you're right.

Well I don't think that you should-

Wait a minute...

You agreed with me! Praise the lord! It's a miraculous sign from heavens! PiPVoda actually agreed with me. A new era of prosperity will arise!

JK, it's just you were seeming a bit stubborn before.

Secondly Koolboyman, you are epic win.

Thirdly, I never thought about that before poster whose name I can't remember. We have found an African American in Pokemon everybody! I am pretty sure of it anyways:

Arcade Star Dahlia. Of course she could be Indian (India Indian, not Native American Indian)...

EDIT: Now that I think about it she also looks very Hispanic... Nevermind then I guess...

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Well to be honest, I didn't think Jynx was racist. It looks weird as hell but I thought it was innocent enough. I mean, look at the Red/Blue sprites and compare them to Gold/Silver.

There's a big difference there.

Years
Wow. I didn't have a problem with this thread until I saw that. That is very close to racist.

That's like saying there aren't any Mexican people in England, or that there aren't any Japanese people in Canada.

That is just stupid. The only reason thay haven't put an African American (A term I hope you use more often) is because of the demographics. Most people in Japan are very light skinned just like most people in Canada and America are light skinned. This DOESN'T mean that all people there are like that PiPVoda. And there have been other races in the games (many people in the Sevii Islands were Polynesian-looking).

Anyways, interesting question. If I'm not mistaken there was an episode in the Anime that centered an African American.
Chill your balls,brotato.

RuRuBell

Beeef
Years
Dahlia is not black but Middle Eastern/Indian. You can even spot hints by the Pokemon she uses. Dahlia being of another race give =s me hope that we may see other characters of other races... but as long as each generation is in a Japanese based setting I won't expect to see too many people of African Descent, but it would be awesome if we could mod our own skin tone in the games.

I was about to point out you never see any Middle Eastern people in games/anime, but this made me happy. :D

But anyway, I don't really care about those things. It's just a game, who cares? There are more serious instances of racism that people should worry about. People these days are so revved up on over-examining everything to make sure it's politically correct. Japan is not very racially diverse, so it's not a surprise.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Wait a second, they'll most likely be one of a few Dark Skinned people in Black and White. We can see that they're slowly adding in other races. So we should expect a Gym Leader, Elite Trainer or even Frontier Brain in B/W. Hopefully it won;t cause controversy with the Game names...

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
Well no one is really white in pokemon mate... they're asian... japanese... whatever you like to call it LOL I guess you could say "white people in pokemon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back