• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report bugs and errors in unmodified Essentials version 21

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
Code:
Exception: RuntimeError
Name must consist only of letters, numbers, and
underscores and can't begin with a number.
In addition, the name must be defined
in trainertypes.txt.
File PBS/trainers.txt, line 1
CAMPER

Compiler:928:in `pbGetConst'
Compiler:970:in `parseTrainer'
Compiler:1382:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:1380:in `loop'
Compiler:1474:in `pbCompileTrainers'
Compiler:4052:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:4170

I get this whenever I try to edit trainers.txt through notepad directly, and yes, I have CAMPER defined, so the solution isn't obious. That is an old essentials bug I guess... For some reason whenever the engine needs to compile the edited .txt it thinks something went wrong, I've searched the entire Compiler script for something but it just doesn't work...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Thread name said:
Report Bugs & Errors in the (unmodified) Latest Essentials Version (9)
I get this whenever I try to edit trainers.txt...
I've spotted an incongruity.

The fact that you haven't even posted your trainers.txt doesn't help. I can only say that I've edited these files directly myself, and I don't have a problem, so you must be doing something wrong.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
I've spotted an incongruity.

The fact that you haven't even posted your trainers.txt doesn't help. I can only say that I've edited these files directly myself, and I don't have a problem, so you must be doing something wrong.

Sorry, I missed the "unmodified". Well I found by luck what it was yesterday so I'm posting it here just for the sake of reporting it. It looks like the .txt was corrupted and couldn't be read by the engine whenever I edited it directly. Copying all the content into a fresh .txt worked as a miracle so it wasn't my fault either.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Had an opponent use Disable on me, and it ended after a single turn.
Swoobat used Heart Stamp! Muk used Disable. Swoobat's Heart Stamp is disabled!
Swoobat used Calm Mind. Muk used Sludge Bomb. Swoobat is disabled no more!
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Disable_%28move%29
Generation III

Same as before, but Disable lasts 4-7 turns.
Confirmed the following for Petal Dance, so I expect Outrage and Thrash are the same.
Meganium used Petal Dance! Opponent is KO'd!

Trainer is about to send in _____. Would you like to switch?
Normally, the user cannot switch Pokemon when locked into a move like that, even by the Shift method. I'm afraid Bulbapedia only says this:
Once selected, even if it misses, the user will only be able to use Petal Dance, and will not be able to switch out.
I do know from the competitive scene however. I realise anecdotal evidence is not preferable, but it's actually a rather critical competitive element- sacrificing one Pokemon if they use Outrage so you can bring in a steel type for a safe set up, and being that they're locked into the move, there's not much they can do...

But bleh.
Nitpicks.

Years
Not sure if this is just me but around 11PM (at night) the outdoor tint turned into a daytime shade, I also tried a clean version of essentials just to make sure and the same thing happened.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
As an addition to the above post, I've noticed the same thing happening on one of my two computers as well, but not the other. It will sometimes rapidly move through the stages of night/day to a brightness that it very certainly should not be. I attributed this (perhaps falsely), however, to my having switched this computer's clock in order to test something in the game. Any chance you did the same thing, hanseic?

Maruno

Years
That's probably due to the time-of-year modifications to the shading (which make it get darker earlier in winter, etc.), resulting in strangeness around midnight. I don't think that modification is needed at all, and if no one objects, I'll remove it and have constant day length.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
That's probably due to the time-of-year modifications to the shading (which make it get darker earlier in winter, etc.), resulting in strangeness around midnight. I don't think that modification is needed at all, and if no one objects, I'll remove it and have constant day length.

What about possible having DST settings like Gold/Silver had, where the shades are constant, but you can have DST be on or off an then the shading is just on hour of difference, or something like that?

Maruno

Years
Essentials takes the computer's time, which does DST by itself.

If you're talking about making the days longer or shorter (by fixed amounts) depending on the date, we could either have it apply during set months, or do that 1-month-per-season nonsense that Gen 5 does. I don't really care for that feature, so perhaps I'll leave it as an exercise for those who want it.

Having said that, Deerling/Sawsbuck currently operate on the 1-month-per-season idea. Well, they would if they were in Essentials. It's not a good enough argument for seasons.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Essentials takes the computer's time, which does DST by itself.

If you're talking about making the days longer or shorter (by fixed amounts) depending on the date, we could either have it apply during set months, or do that 1-month-per-season nonsense that Gen 5 does. I don't really care for that feature, so perhaps I'll leave it as an exercise for those who want it.

Having said that, Deerling/Sawsbuck currently operate on the 1-month-per-season idea. Well, they would if they were in Essentials. It's not a good enough argument for seasons.
Essentials already has it (the first idea, not the season one), isn't?

I reported this bug on wikia and Maruno fixed on v9, this occurs because realNextHour-realHour, so when 0-23 the system goes crazy.

Maruno

Years
I've just tested it in the bleeding-edge version of Essentials, and despite my tweaks to it, it still becomes light around 11:30pm. I don't know if I can actually fix it, so the next best option is to remove the feature altogether.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I've just tested it in the bleeding-edge version of Essentials, and despite my tweaks to it, it still becomes light around 11:30pm. I don't know if I can actually fix it, so the next best option is to remove the feature altogether.
My fix (look at wikia page) is working here.

EDIT: Mud-Sport, Revenge, Low Kick and Rock Slide (the ones that I noticed so far) descriptions are too big for the windows.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
The Timer function in RPG Maker doesn't works on Essentials v9, the Timer is displaying, but it isn't running. However in Essentials v8 Timer works in the same event.

Somebody can help me with that?

Maruno

Years
The Timer function in RPG Maker doesn't works on Essentials v9, the Timer is displaying, but it isn't running. However in Essentials v8 Timer works in the same event.

Somebody can help me with that?
It works for me.

This video is from v9, but I've tested it in v10, and it still happens:

You could've just said that the Escape Rope is consumed even if it can't be used.

PokemonItemEffects, line 61, add the red part:

Code:
ItemHandlers::UseFromBag.add(:ESCAPEROPE,proc{|item|
   if $game_player.pbHasDependentEvents?
     Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("It can't be used when you have someone with you."))
     next 0
   end
   if ($PokemonGlobal.escapePoint rescue false) [COLOR=Red]&& $PokemonGlobal.escapePoint.length>0[/COLOR]
     next 4 # End screen and consume item
   else
     Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("Can't use that here."))
     next 0
   end
})

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Battle Tower seems much improved at first glance(as it now returns your pokemon it borrowed yay), but "Rest" still glitches. You are allowed to rest, then it saves your game. But upon restarting the save and returning, the game crashes. Restarting again after that takes you back to the game where the NPC tells you you didn't save and you can't continue where you left off (the point of the "Rest" option).

Also, the banlist seems off. Or at least unfaithful to the source game. Garchomp was banned. I tested Gachomp, Gengar, and Suicune to see what was allowed. Clarification on this would be appreciated.

This was just testing lvl 50 Battle Tower. I'll test the rest of the frontier maps this week more thoroughly.

I'd also like to make more Battle Tower movesets for pokemon if your willing to take submissions. I'd keep it in the same format so that all you'd have to do for the next release is copy/paste.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
1: You can't catch a trainer's Shadow Pokemon. They block my Pokéball every time.
2: In the cave by Cedolan City ore whatever it's called, if you put a strength boulder on the switch, the trainer still says it isn't on it.
3: Best explained by this image. Happened trying to get off the bicycle.
35inq0o.jpg

Back