• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Pokemon Version.

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
Years
Its Platinum for me. The game fixed a lot of the problems with Diamond and Pearl. It also added a bunch of new features, a better range of Pokemon & a better difficulty curve.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
Crystal. It's the first game to have a female protagonist and it takes place in my favorite region, too. Although Sapphire is a close second due to my love of the pretty graphics.

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
I would go with FireRed & LeafGreen because It's got the best pokemon (in my opinion) it also has a lot of nostalgia behind it as well as having better graphics then the originals Red and Green.

Years
Since certain Pokemon games have certain aspects I like about them, their is no clear winner (unless nostalgia starts talking then it's Pokemon Silver :3 ) I've never played Black or White 2, and I never finished Diamond, Pearl or Platinum

I guess if I had to pick an overall favorite it would be Firered, simply because it's Red and Blue with just enough modern to make it interesting again. Although the endgame of all the games post Emerald are so expansive...it's quite cool!

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
Years
It really depends on what you mean by 'best'.

Nostalgia: Fire Red/ Leaf Green

Content: Either Heart Gold/ Soul Silver or Black 2/ White 2

My personal favorites though are Fire Red and Heart Gold.
Classic Content + Modern Game Mechanics= WIN!!!

Years
There are so many of the games that I really liked, with Emerald, HeartGold and White 2 easily rounding out my top 3.

If I could only pick one of them, though, it would be Emerald. Emerald was the first game I actually enjoyed playing once I finished playing the main story, in large part thanks to the Battle Frontier. Gen III is also where I really started getting invested in Pokemon again, so that helps it to the top of my list.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I really love all of the different versions. They all had something unique about them and I associate each with good memories.

If I had to choose which version is the best overall, I would have to go with HeartGold/SoulSilver. I love that any and every pokemon can follow you around and that you can interact with them (I wish this was included in all versions). It also lets you explore two different regions, which no other version (except for the original Gold/Silver) allows you to do. I also love the graphics because they are simple and colorful.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2013
GSC or HG/SS

1. You can really see the transition from the first gen, I have played the original Pokemon Red and Crystal versions.

2. The first gen was referenced a lot in the 2nd gen with easter eggs and professor Oak of course and other stuff, Then came the Kanto Arc which really made a connection with the first gen, you can feel that the game is not a game anymore, It became a new world.

3. There's "progress" in the story line. not just the GSC story line but the Pokemon story line as a whole, GSC is actually the sequel of RBY and if you compare BW2 and GSC in terms of playing the role of a sequel. GSC would pwn BW2.

4. You can feel the connection of a pokemon and its trainer, this is because all of the new content is centered around pokemon-trainer relationship. Unlike new contents these days that only caters to those who wants something new, im not against it but i just prefer a game which emphasizes pokemon-trainer relationship. and I think it shows especially when they did a remake (HGSS
wherein your pokemon actually follows you.

5. the battle with red at Mt.Silver is the best trainer battle ever in the history of Pokemon, Red was the only main character that appeared in tons of other generations and GSC started that formula.

6. the key ideas here are that GSC showed progress, TONS of progress in terms of EVERYTHING (contents, gameplay, core value, STORY). Its the only generation where a new typing was born, IIRC it started the dual typing, it also started giving genders as well as breeding and egg hatching, and it was the only generation where you can grab 16 MFKKING gym medals.

the list goes on and on, sure DPP and BW have these innovative contents, but the question is are they really necessary? did they pack that much impact to the whole picture? Battle Frontier was nice, The subway etc etc, but they had no lasting appeal on me unlike the GSC which really made me look at the pokemon series differently.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
The game that I enjoyed the most on was on Gold back in the good ol' days. That game pretty much summarise my childhood.

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2013
The very first blue version as it was the first one I played, and as such, the most memorable for me.

JohSketch

Tech Geek
Years
I have two favorites. Emerald the best because its pretty much the best generation and I love the region. Black 2 coming close just because its the first sequel with a decent storyline but the generation is kinda.... not the same.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I'd definitely say Heartgold. It was by far one of the most amazing games I have played, even outside of the Pokemon franchise. I felt it had this huge spark, the graphics were amazing and the ability to explore two regions was great. The little additional features thrown in like the Follow-me-feature along with minigames such as the Pokeathlon and other activities was fun. The music was phenomenal as well, I particularly liked the Kanto Trainer theme. Overall it was an enjoyable game and I have always loved replaying it, time and time again. :]

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
The most memorable game for me would definitely be Crystal. It was the first pokemon game I've played and it was the game that began my fascination with video games and it gave me tons of memories that make me happy when I look back at them. That, to me, is something special.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
Gold version is my favorite. Transferring my old pokemon from red over was cool, then being able to go back to Kanto and win 8 badges while battling Blue again was cool. Then the "last" battle versus Red atop Mt. Silver was awesome, I never enjoyed a pokemon battle more than that.

Years
  • Seen May 22, 2013
It's a relatively easy question. I truly feel like Game Freak has done a good job of improving the games incrementally each generation, so on that criteria alone I'd say Black/White 2 are the best.

Judging the games based on their own merits, I'd give G/S/C my top mark based on how much they contributed to the series as a whole. 100 new Pokemon, time-based events, two-new Pokemon types (the only games in the series to add new types!), trainer re-matches - but best of all, being able to play through Kanto all over again! They were like two games in one, and part of the generation that solidified my love for Pokemon.

I haven't played Black/White, but I'd give Black/White 2 a close second. I'm glad they made the in-game trainers much more challenging. There is also a lot of flexibility and variety in the types of Pokemon you can catch early-on, versus the Rattata/Pidgey/Caterpie combo we've seen played again and again. I also think giving TM's unlimited uses was the best idea introduced in the series ever since the differentiation between physical/special moves. I'm glad I don't have to worry about TM moves anymore when I'm breeding my Pokes.

Years
HeartGold had so many stuff to do in it, 16 badges for a start and unlike the originals obviously there was Gen III & IV pokemon incorporated in the game.

I'm resisting the temptation to say Emerald or Fire Red as Gen III were the first games I bought.

I haven't played B/W 2 yet, but based on the original B/W they probably wouldn't be my favourite. Every game in the main series is brilliant though.

Back