• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where can I buy a square TV/monitor?

Years
I'm moving soon. I've seen the house and what will be my bedroom, and I want to replace the wall with a huge computer monitor which would be hooked up to a computer. I figured a TV would be best for this (you can hook them up to computers, contrary to popular belief), since they don't make monitors that big. However, I found out that no one makes any large TVs that are anywhere CLOSE to square. Monitors, as I suspected, can't be large enough for my purposes. I want anywhere between a 62" and 72" square TV/monitor. I can't even find anyone on the INTERNET that'll sell it. Does anyone here know anything that could help with this subject?

Thanks for answers.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Why would you specifically want a square monitor? There's nothing really made for that kind of resolution so you'd be paying for black bars on the top and bottom of everything you play/watch.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I've looked for square monitors myself — they don't appear to exist, unless you were to get one custom-built, though I don't know how one would go about that.
Televisions are even less likely to be square.

Why would you specifically want a square monitor? There's nothing really made for that kind of resolution so you'd be paying for black bars on the top and bottom of everything you play/watch.
If I designed a monitor under no pretentions it would be 1:1. It's no harder to look up/down than it is to look left/right.

About the black bars, OP is best just getting a 4:3 monitor/television and setting a custom 1:1 resolution via one's video card. I can't vouch for how well that'd work on a non-CRT screen though.

Years
A 4:3 is as close as I was able to find too, and according to me (I've seen 4:3) it is close enough to square. But I can't find monitors like this either that are larger than about 14" or TVs larger than 20".

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Is there a way you can modify your resolution settings, hook your computer up to an overhead projector, and project the image onto the wall? That might be an option worth exploring.

Years
Is there a way you can modify your resolution settings, hook your computer up to an overhead projector, and project the image onto the wall? That might be an option worth exploring.
I have advertised this issue (exact post, actually) on the Minecraft forum as well as here. This is the most popular (and least accepted by me) answer on the MCForum thread.

Years
That projector option is really the only way you're going to get it unless you settle for a 16:9 ratio widescreen plasma HD TV. The picture quality would generally be better for your money with an HDTV when compared to most affordable projectors, honestly.

4:3 ratio TVs just aren't made in sizes larger than 30 inches.

If I designed a monitor under no pretentions it would be 1:1. It's no harder to look up/down than it is to look left/right.

Except for the fact that the human field of vision is far wider than it is tall. You can see more in your horizontal field of vision before having to turn your head than you can within your vertical field of vision.

Back