• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most overpowered Unova Pokemon?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Sooo B/W brought some pretty strong Pokemon to the field, Volcarona, Hydreigon and Terrakion, just to name a few. However some might have gone a little too far and were overpowered. Not talking about what you've necessarily owned, but rather in general, when you think about the stats, abilities and everything combined, or maybe one you've faced.

Now given we're only talking about B/W, the move tutors don't apply. So what I ask you now is, what Pokemon that B/W introduced seems most overpowered and why?

Sirfetch’d

I love Chandelure, but it is a little overpowered. Its special attack just seems a tad high IMO. Also Archeops is overpowered, yes it has an ability that hinders that, but GF should have given it the same stat layout as Carracosta who by the way looks really Awesome. Also maybe Stunfisk is a little overpowered.

Just Kidding about Stunfisk BTW:)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'd say Excadrill. Its high Attack in conjunction with Sand Rush and decent Speed allowed it to decimate most teams under a Sandstorm.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Some could argue Haxorus. Its atk is wicked strong if raised right. Its speed maybe lack to be desired at times but Dragon Dance can help that. I use Hax and love it.

Years
I'd have to say Archeops, that thing hits so hard and it's extremely fast.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay just one little thing, think more in-game sense rather than a competitive sense, so while Volcarona applies to both in-game and competitive, some of the other examples don't really. Can y'all think of an examples in-game where you've faced them and been beaten pretty badly or had issues facing them? Describe those times n_n

Anyway for me, definitely Volcarona. I know how good it is in a competitive sense, but in Alder's team it is way overpowered, and once I only really won because it's dumb and QD'd when it wasn't necessary otherwise it'd have swept me. ;( Way too strong for in-game E4 use imo.

Years
Volcarona, but I'm going to say that I also love it for that haha. High Special attack, good speed, good move pool AND quiver dance make this guy one pain to play against.

Archeops is also over powered, at least for a fossil. It should have the base 495 like most other fossils AND like its counterpart carracosta. I may be biased though because I don't like that it overtook Aerodactyl.

Psystar63

☆ || [The Wandering Star] || ☆
Years
Chandelure and Volcarona. Facing off against them in the E4 is a pain. Volcarona especially. Lv 77 and knowing Overheat and Quiver Dance? Definitely overpowered. Like Forever mentioned, when it comes to beating Alder's Volcarona, you mostly have to hope that he decides to use Quiver Dance unnecessarily, giving you some sort of chance to strike back with a Rock-type attack. There's a reason why I've only managed to beat Alder 4 times, and that's because of Volcarona.
Luckily, it is a Bug/Fire type. I'm sure a powered up Archeops would be able to take it out with one hit.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Volcarona is 4x weak to Rock types. Grab Graveler from Challenger's Cave and it won't be able to touch you. For that reason, I wouldn't consider it overpowered at all and look forward to taking it out in one hit, maybe two.

Of course, this forces one to see how Rock can be used against Psychic, Dark, Fight, or Ghost types and might require one being eliminated therein. I still have a lot of training and research to do (plus I want to finish the Pokédex) before I issue a challenge. I'm getting there, however.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I'd say Terrakion, as I really loved using it on my team. Too bad that you get it so late in the game.

But TBH really, I haven't put much thought about it until reading everything in this. I never thought that Hydregion, Volcarona, & Arceops were overpowered, mainly since two of them take a damn long time to actually get, & one of them gets its power cut in half upon half health.

Years
I struggled with Amoongus and I have no idea why. Maybe I'm unlucky but he gave me the most trouble in the Battle Subway.

And I'm not sure if this counts but Sturdy Sawk ruins half of my team in a double battle. Most of my team accidentally has a weakness to fighting and he OHKO's with a Superpower most of my in-game team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I gotta agree with some people here; Archeops is both fast and strong. I'm also going to say Hydreigon because Ghetsis' Hydreigon had 3 moves that had excellent coverage with Dragon Pulse.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Archeops, if its ability is changed (granted though this would only be useful under similar circumstances to Slaking);
Chandelure with Shadow Tag* (without which it amounts to 'only' being vaguely similar to Porygon-Z).

So basically ability abuse was introduced... or expanded, I'm not sure. I haven't noted any monster to be inherently overpowered by its stats or moveset.
*I know Shadow Tag Chandelure can't be obtained legitimately, but it was programmed into BW all the same.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Giga Drain, anyone? One Giga Drain and Graveler is down to 1HP if it has Sturdy or down.
Negative. Volcarona that is with Alder has the following:

- Overheat (Fire)
- Bug Buzz (Bug)
- Quiver Dance (Bug)
- Hyper Beam (Normal)

Source.

None of these are grass moves. Graveler is weak to Ground, Water, Grass, Ice, Fire, and Fighting. The discussion is whether Alder's Volcarona is overpowered. In this case, it isn't. Yes, Overheat is a Fire move, but it can only be used five times and gets weaker over time. Hyper Beam requires recharging on the next turn. I stand by my comment; if nailed while it's doing Quiver Dance on the first two turns, it has no chance to attack.

Cyclone

Years
None of these are grass moves. Graveler is weak to Ground, Water, Grass, Ice, Fire, and Fighting. The discussion is whether Alder's Volcarona is overpowered. In this case, it isn't. Yes, Overheat is a Fire move, but it can only be used five times and gets weaker over time. Hyper Beam requires recharging on the next turn. I stand by my comment; if nailed while it's doing Quiver Dance on the first two turns, it has no chance to attack.

Cyclone

You're forgetting bug buzz. It's got 90 base power, and Volcarona has 135 special attack. Golem's special defense is 60, so I feel like Volcarona could take it out in one or two hits. And if Volcarona has gotten a couple Quiver Dance's in, then it's definitely a OHKO.

So yes, I think Volcarona's overpowered. (for reasons like that one)
Another pokemon I think is overpowered would be Cofagrigus - Ghetsis's was INCREDIBLY hard for me to take down.

And lastly, I'd say Reuniclus is overpowered. As much as I'd like it, it's just a little too intense with it's off the chart special attack, great ability and strong moves.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head but if I think of more I'll post them! ;D

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Another pokemon I think is overpowered would be Cofagrigus - Ghetsis's was INCREDIBLY hard for me to take down.

And lastly, I'd say Reuniclus is overpowered. As much as I'd like it, it's just a little too intense with it's off the chart special attack, great ability and strong moves.

I would have to disagree with you on both of those, especially Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus isn't really overpowered, it's more of a Pokémon that just refuses to die, especially if you're using physical attacks.

As for Reuniclus, sure, it's got off the chart Special attack, but it's slower than molasses in January. It's never going to get its attack off first before its opponent's, & since its defensive stats aren't the best, it might not get one off at all.

& FYI, Reuniclus doesn't have the highest special attack - there are a bunch of others that can match, if not surpass it.

Years
I would have to disagree with you on both of those, especially Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus isn't really overpowered, it's more of a Pokémon that just refuses to die, especially if you're using physical attacks.

As for Reuniclus, sure, it's got off the chart Special attack, but it's slower than molasses in January. It's never going to get its attack off first before its opponent's, & since its defensive stats aren't the best, it might not get one off at all.

& FYI, Reuniclus doesn't have the highest special attack - there are a bunch of others that can match, if not surpass it.

Well refuses to die is part of what constitutes over powered in my opinion :/
And while Reuniclus doesn't have the highest and is super slow - it can set up it's own trick room. And while its defense is average, it has High HP, so it's kind of a tank.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Other than the obvious ones such as Volcarona and Hydreigon, I found Lilligant to be rather overpowered. With Quiver Dance and Sleep Powder, it was just allowed to get lots of stat boost while the opponent is helpless. Whimsicott with priority Stun Spore can be overpowered as well.

Back