• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beta Place

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yep - updated. But since I have to link to your post for the more in-depth info *shakes fist at character limits*, you may also have to change it there as well.

Also, Alice. already found a Beta Reader, so no point offering to beta that story then. =P

Bay

Years
In need of a beta for an upcoming story here. D:

Title of Story: Heart of the Sea
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: Damus is a Pokemon fisherman unable to grab a catch for sometime. When he gets the biggest catch of his life though, he didn't know his pride would overtake him.
Genre: Drama/Parable
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG.
Type of mentor needed: Grammar and proofreader. I suck at grammar and always need someone else to look through it for me (though I do proofread my work a couple times). As for proofreader, I think I'm fine in other areas, but a second opinion won't hurt.
Writing sample of story: Still a work in progress. :x
Spoiler:

Other: This is actually my very first Pokemon fic and I posted all of it at Serebii. However, I'm rewriting it now to post it at PC and a couple other forums. My grammar improved greatly from three years ago, but I still tend to make silly mistakes, so it would be great if I have a beta for the rewrite.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
Hey Bobandbill, I'm not writing my fic anymore and am not seeking that kind of beta reader anymore. Anyway here is my new beta seeking thingie :P

Title of Story: Shayla's Twilight

Fandom: Twilight saga

Plot summary: The rebellious vampire little sister of Edward, Alice, Jasper and the others returns unannounced one day after a year-long absent and the family wonders where she's been and what's she been doing. However she has changed alot and no longer the same sister. Can they help her? Follows the events of the books, just has my OC put into it, to "shake things up". It's also told from many charecter's POVs.

Genre: Fantasy/ Romance/ Teen or whatever Twilight is.

Rating (PG, R, etc): Probably T but leaning towards M in later chapters. Not really sure, there is violence mostly in the hunting and fight scenes and some swearing but it's mostly 'minor' words.

Type of mentor needed: Proofreader. I'm alot better with my writing now and just need another set of eyes to look over it.

Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: I decided to write this one after my failed original fic Blood of the Animals and my even bigger fail, my HP fic (it was so bad it didn't even get posted here.) I've gotten a lot better and I want to get even more so.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Well hello again, Beta Thread! I missed you so much, yes I did, yes I did~

Title of Story: Delta Species
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: When one young victim of 'Because Destiny Said So' is pulled away from his Pokémonless region and forced into the shoes of savior of the Pokémon kingdom (along with a very varied cast of traveling companions), he discovers that maybe the rest of the world - or at least the region of Holon - isn't all to be feared after all...
Genre: Trainer Journey
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG, if only for one character who flings asterisks around like shuriken stars.
Type of mentor needed: I would like a Plot beta reader to make sure that my story's plotline (which, admittedly, has a lot of it laid out due to the nature of the plot) doesn't start getting too bland.
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: The first story I posted that I care to remember was posted on the 'net on September 8, 2008 (it was Metal Coat).

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
Years
Category: The Comprehensive type. Yeah, I do 'em all.
Genre specialty: Humor, romance, anything. Except horror.
Preferred method of contact: E-mail. I have two: [email protected] and [email protected]
Examples of writing:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=202257
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=201481
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: I...uh...I haven't gotten any reviews or reports yet. Even on FF.net.
Strengths/weaknesses (optional):
Spoiler:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Announcement

^ Hmm, it sounds like your saying you haven't gotten any reviews? Idk if that's the case, but what is meant is that we need reviews by you submitted to other people's stories - examples of you doing the mistake-finding, correcting, analysis/thoughts on a story, etc.

And if you mean you haven't made any that are currently available... then it's kinda hard to judge without any reviews or reports to go on, and it is a requirement for all beta readers to show they can give correct constructive criticism... but that can be easily fixed! =P There's no need to rush, but please submit a few reviews to people's stories around here (or ffnet, etc), and make sure they include all areas (plot, spelling, etc) if you are going for a Comprehensive Beta Reader position. (Or if you'd rather focus on a specific aspect in your reviews and go for a different beta reader you can as well, or if you're lacking in a few areas but show you can review on other parts - say, grammar - thoroughly then you'll become a different Beta Reader). Basically, I'm afraid we can't judge without some reviews by you to see, that's all.

ON ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE - I'll be redoing the Beta Thread soon due to it getting cluttered (only one post to work with = annoying) and a bit old. So if you are a client still waiting or a beta reader, please contact me if you still want a beta reader/to be a beta reader with the new version. I'll do PMs later and once I get some feedback from a good numbr of you I'll redo this thread (same system, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to pass them on to me and/or Astinus).

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
Years
Okay. Guess I'd rather be a client.

Title of Story: Operation Confession
Fandom: Pokemon manga: Pokemon Special/Adventures
Plot summary: Red and Yellow have always been a little...into each other. They just don't like to say what they really feel. Well, with the help of the other Pokedex holders, Green's going to change that...Maybe it's time they did take a vacation in Sinnoh.
Genre: Humor and romance.
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG. Expect gratuitous amounts of Green's trademark evil schemes. And funny ghosts.
Type of mentor needed: Plot and character beta reader. I plan to have an OC.
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: I've been writing since I was eight. I made scripts ripped off of episodes of my favorite series, calling them sequels. I was eight, hello! Then, I stumbled upon FanFiction.net, and the rest is history.

My strength is being able to describe things when I feel like it. Often, though, I have to see it in my mind's eye first.

My weakness is...well...sometimes I accidentally bring characters out of their personalities. OOC, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I overdo one trait of a character. I'm not very good when it comes to making OC's...

bobandbill

one more time
Years
..ok then. Added to the first post and all.

In case people only read the last two posts:

ON ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE - I'll be redoing the Beta Thread soon due to it getting cluttered (only one post to work with = annoying) and a bit old. So if you are a client still waiting or a beta reader, please contact me if you still want a beta reader/to be a beta reader with the new version. I'll do PMs later and once I get some feedback from a good numbr of you I'll redo this thread (same system, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to pass them on to me and/or Astinus).

Yay repetition. =D

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Do we post in this thread? Anyway, I'd like to submit the application for Delta Species in the new thread.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Posting here is fine, or just PM/VM me. Anyways cheers for letting me know.

If you want to make a new application then do so in this thread for now, giving people a week's notice first about the new one before it is made.

Back