• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: View PM Conversation with [Username]

Cid

Years
How about a view conversation with [username] feature for PMs, too? Like the ones available for VMs. I reckon it'll be a lot more convenient to look at the whole conversation with the PMs sent and received than sort through each related PM from your sent box and inbox, as well as it being a lot easier to reply if a reply dialog box is implemented. Some PMs are a lot more like posts though, so maybe the conversation could look more like a thread does normally for it to work, with each PM being a separate post. It's like seeing your PM conversation as a personal, private thread where you two post replies to each other.

To extend that metaphor even further, maybe these personal, private threads can involve more than two people so that you have a thread of your own that doesn't make the forum look unpleasant (with the possible off-topic/irrelevant/random content present in a lot of VMs). That sort could cater to as many people as you'd like. I'm kind of grasping at straws here, though; but at least I think it sounds like a nice concept.

Anyway, the main thing that I'm kind of suggesting is all in the first paragraph. I don't know the feasibility of this suggestion, but yeah I'm curious if this is at all possible. Again, this is probably not possible with how vBulletin is structured but I might as well suggest it here.

EDIT: tl;dr first paragraph talks about implementing a view PM conversation with [username] feature, while the second paragraph talks about making PMs more like threads, which in turn, can allow more than two people in the conversation. I can understand why the post can be confusing, so I apologize.

Last edited:

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
I'm all for this, but I sure hope other users who are not involved with the PMs do not get the option to view others' conversations. For example, I don't want so & so viewing my conversation with what's his face. That is the whole point of Private Messaging. But, if this is an option only for either of the two conversationalists, then I think this is a good idea.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
I kinda like this idea because when some one you PM'ed doesn't quote you and like me forgot what was said you have to say "what" it is annoying that way, but I would want any one else to be able to view the convo at all.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I've always wanted something like this, especially since if it's a similar system as with Visitor Messages - just not public. I hope something like this is possible. Though, the thread prospect might be pushing it a little? I mean, I think there was a time that PC had public groups where people could come together to talk in such a way, and though it wasn't private it was similar, but that was a built in system. I'm not so sure something quite as elaborate could even be done? Regardless it's a cool idea.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I'm totally down for this. the quote boxes aren't bad. But if you're having a conversation with someone, it can look chaotic and messy. Something like this could make it a little neater. The current system isn't terrible, though, I'll have to admit. But this would make a nice variation.

droomph

weeb
Years
Um, everything else is fine and dandy if they have the time, but the only thing I really truly think would make the pms better is if you could have conversations with multiple people.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
So what I got:
1) "View PM with X" link like their is with VMs
2) Make PMs like a thread instead of quotes.

I'm not sure about the first one, as their can be different PMs. Wait thats what the thread-like suggestion would fix.. but what about multiple people convos, no link for those, and different threads? Confusing post but I'm all for the idea.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I dig this. I've always thought the quoting thing got messy after a while so it'll be good to see something like this implemented...if it ever does.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Wouldn't work, due to the fact that PM's can be deleted. It'd be a hell of a lot of work and possibly not at all feasible to get something like this to run smoothly.

Back