• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Huh? Can't afford the 3DS? It costs 100$ used, 125-150$ new pending if you get it around a holiday or not. How can you not afford that when everyone pretty much has a DS (which cost 200$ with tax for a long time) when everyone has had two or three years to "save up" for it. Given today's price, if someone had saved 17c/day for three years, they could have bought a 3DS (even taxes are included in that, ~175$). It's not that expensive.

Plus, Pokemon [and Zelda] fans should have known all along that it was going to happen. Really now. What else would Nintendo do?

Rixe

Space Charkie
Years
Nope. I bought a red 3DS mainly for these games.
And my DS Lite was on its way out, the hinges were floppy and there's a massive row of dead pixels halfway down the screen. It served me well.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Hearing you people talk about how cheap it is now makes me wish that I hadn't bought it in November of 2011... oh well maybe I'll buy another one now that it's cheap, and the games I've played since then (I first bought the Ocarina of Time remake, followed by Kh 3D and Fire Emblem: Awakening) were fun. I think it's worth buying the system to play those games alone but that's just me.
Either way the DS era is over...time to move on...it costs money to move forward in both life and in technology.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
According to VGChartz the 3DS is currently moving the most units out of all the current consoles on a daily basis.

With an install base growth like that, I don't think we have much to worry about. I am actually relieved that Gen 6 is on the 3DS and not yet another DS generation. The 3DS has been out for ages now, it can to much more than the DS, and allows developers to make more impressive games. It's time to move on!

Rayziken 2

Beginning ROM Hacker
Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2016
According to VGChartz the 3DS is currently moving the most units out of all the current consoles on a daily basis.
At the very least, it's thrashing the Vita, its only rival apart from tablets, which aren't primarily for gaming.

But yes, I'm glad that the 3DS is getting a Pokémon game (I've had a 3DS since Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7; I got it that Christmas), and the graphics are eve better than Colosseum and XD. I just love the 3D style X and Y are using; it suits Pokémon so well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 24, 2017
Everyone playing the games today had to upgrade from a GBA to a DS at some point so it's just that time again where we will have to adapt and get a new console. I bought my DS to play Daimond and Pearl and I'll be buying a 3DS to play X and Y.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I don't know if I should wait more before buying a 3DS or an XL version, since it could get another price drop before X/Y release.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't know if I should wait more before buying a 3DS or an XL version, since it could get another price drop before X/Y release.

There is no scheduled price drop before October. There may not be one for a few more years when they put out the next system. The DSi didn't drop in price until after the 3DS came out. Since the 3DS is only a little higher than what the DSi was, they won't drop until around a similar circumstances happen.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
Years
People on here saying that some people may not be able to get a new console, so just release it on ds. No. if we did that, there would be no progress. Its a natural progression. I know theres a recession on, but why wouldt they release a 3rd generation of pokemon on an 8 year old console. Theres a reason why they don't release brand new games on PS2 or Xbox's these days...

Well, in this case, you have to look at it from each individual's perspectives. Sure, there might be people who are able to get a 3Ds, and are more than willing than move on from their own DS, but what about those who are unable to move on? I mean from a financial stand point. Consider this; a person might have a DS and a few pokemon games, but, they have no job, and have no other way to earn themselves money. So, I'm just saying. It might not be all that easy for certain people to get a 3DS to begin with. And even so, I doubt people would buy a 3DS just for one pokemon game, if all of the other 3Ds games don't appeal to them.

If you have no job and no money, should Pokemon be your first priority?

Last edited:

Pinta77

Lack of DS titles? We have Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. That's 9 main series Pokemon games for DS. It's time to move to 3DS.

Here's my advice to everyone who can't get a hold of a 3DS. If you're young, be good, see if Santa will bring you one. If your a teenager, get a job and buy one. And if you're an adult, well then you can probably afford one if you really want to.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
^ It's probably a safe bet that a fair few of them just don't want to face the reality that nothing lasts forever, they probably don't like having to upgrade to get the latest things in general. As mentioned numerous times though, it's going to keep happening, everything moves on. The GB/C made way for the GBA, the GBA made way for the DS, the DS finally made way for the 3DS, and even the 3DS is going to give way to a new Nintendo handheld in probably 3+ years.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
Personally, I probably won't be buying the new Pokémon game. I don't have the 3DS and really can't afford it, nor want to move onto a new console for the sake of one game. I would rather it if they could have released a 3DS AND a DS version.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Asking Nintendo to continue supporting (releasing new software) for an older system does not make much sense. And asking the company to invest thousands of more dollars to create two versions of the game would only serve to make the game more expensive, because those dollars would have to be made up from somewhere. Nintendo is a company, in business to make money, not a charity organization. If people cannot, or will not, upgrade to the new system, oh well. Too bad for them. They'll just have to wait until they can, or do without.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
It's actually a step in the right direction.

People are going to get sick of the constant 2D-3D look, sure it's what the series has been doing for years but what we need is a change to full 3D which the DS simply doesn't have the power to do.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Personally, I probably won't be buying the new Pokémon game. I don't have the 3DS and really can't afford it, nor want to move onto a new console for the sake of one game. I would rather it if they could have released a 3DS AND a DS version.

Then, sorry to say this but, you're going to have to miss out then. Not only is the DS a dead console (it lasted loong past it's due honestly), everything has to move on. Making a dual release for both the 3DS and DS would only seriously cripple the 3DS' version because the DS cannot compete with how much more the 3DS can do(balance between versions is important).

If you can't think of at least one more game you like (odd, but eh), just think of it as more of a bridge-like upgrade to your DS; You can still play your DS games on it but you'll be ready for 3DS games that'll come out that you may end up wanting. It's not tough to find a 3DS under retail price online and X&Y are still 6 months away.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem, and Monster Hunter are all amazing game that I would recomend to everyone, even if you have never played other game in the series. Luigi's Mansion 2 looks promising also, but I have not played it.

There are many good games for the 3DS. I didn't think I would like Monster Hunter. After 40 hours, I am hooked and there is still more to do.

The 3DS Pokemon game looks awesome. It is worth $160 upgrade just to play Mario 3D Land. Combine that with 100 hours of Fire Emblem and 40 hours (so far) of Monster Hunter - The console is alive and well.

If you simply can't afford to buy it, don't be sad. The DS has like THOUSANDS of games to play. Just look online and try something you have never played before.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
Years
Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem, and Monster Hunter are all amazing game that I would recomend to everyone, even if you have never played other game in the series. Luigi's Mansion 2 looks promising also, but I have not played it.

There are many good games for the 3DS. I didn't think I would like Monster Hunter. After 40 hours, I am hooked and there is still more to do.

The 3DS Pokemon game looks awesome. It is worth $160 upgrade just to play Mario 3D Land. Combine that with 100 hours of Fire Emblem and 40 hours (so far) of Monster Hunter - The console is alive and well.

If you simply can't afford to buy it, don't be sad. The DS has like THOUSANDS of games to play. Just look online and try something you have never played before.

Plus there making a new zelda, and Mario Kart 7 is out

Back