• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Mewtwo

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
bu4n96f.jpg

So, what did you guys think of Mewtwo when you've first encountered him on Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, or Pokémon Yellow? If you don't remember, you can find Mewtwo in the Cerulean Cave, but first, you have to beat the Indigo Plateau, and become the pokemon champion. Then you'll be able to gain access in the cave, where it's swarming with high-leveled pokemon, around lv. 40 ~ 55. When you go deeper in the Cave, on B1F, you'll see Mewtwo when you surf across a small lake, and to realize that HOLY GODS, he's level 70.

So again, what was your reaction on finding Mewtwo for the first time, and were you successful on capturing Mewtwo? How long did it take you, and did Mewtwo pose a challenge for you and your pokemon? Feel free to share stories. :3

For instance, in my experience on finding this beast, I was indeed surprised to find a pokemon at such a high level (like, it was even a higher level than your rival's best pokemon around lv. 65). But still, it's moves weren't too bad to deal with, aside from it having recover which was a pain in the neck because all that damage you've dealt to it to try and catch it became for nothing, and Psychic on which if you weren't careful, it could of dealt a huge blow to your pokemon team. So, I had to put it asleep with my Vileplume a number of times, but, it was tough because Psychic was super effective against Vileplume, and so, there weren't a lot of options aside form paralyzing it with my Zapdos. I didn't use Master Ball because I already used it on Zapdos from frustration (>>) but, eventually, the capture was successful! <3

Years
The experience of first ever finding Mewtwo in Pokemon Red was something I'll never forget.

The Cerulean Cave had always baffled me. I knew I couldn't get in there until I'd beaten the elite four, but why was this cave such a big deal ? I realized why when I first ran into a level 50 something Raichu. There were so many awesome high level Pokemon in the cave. Although I had one goal as soon as I entered, and that was to find Mewtwo. The maze inside that dungeon was so difficult for me back then, but it was totally worth it to get the chance to catch Mewtwo. I must have spent about an hour scaling the place.

When I finally seen the over-world sprite standing on that little island, I couldn't really believe it. I knew Mewtwo was in here, but I still couldn't believe I was about to catch him. Walking up to the weird little sprite that looked nothing even like Mewtwo felt so epic. I still had my master ball, and was ready to use it. As soon as I pressed A to battle him, the chilling extended cry he let out startled me as we began to battle. As his sprite came out of the shadows the first thing I noticed was his high level. Level 70 was a big deal in First Gen ! Well this was before I found Missingo etc.

I tried battling him, just to see if it was possible just to catch him with an ultra ball. At this point I had a pretty high level Jolteon which did considerable damage to Mewtwo - Until he used Recover... I was an impatient kid, and Mewtwo was the only Pokemon I didn't yet have access to on Pokemon Stadium. My impatience got the better of me, and I chucked the Master Ball at him. I still remember thinking "What if it doesn't work?" But it did. Thank God. I finally had Mewtwo, the most powerful Pokemon in the game ! I could battle my friends and actually win now.

Catching Mewtwo definitely was the climax of my Pokemon Red. He was just so mysterious, powerful and really friggin' creepy at the time. Saying that, I didn't really know what to do after I'd caught him >.<

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
When I first encountered Mewtwo, it was pretty epic. It took me forever to navigate through that cave, first off. To this day Cerulean Cave is still one of the hardest to navigate caves in all of Pokemon. So you can imagine my joy when I finally reached Mewtwo. The battle wasn't too epic, because I just chucked a Master Ball at it. Everybody at my school told me I should save my Master Ball for Mewtwo, since he's really hard to catch. I was half expecting the Master Ball not to work, but it did :D

It was one of the highlights of my Pokemon experience.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
I remember this pretty well. As an idiot four year old, I wasted by masterball on an Growlithe, so I ended up going through two or three resets until I managed to get him with an ultraball after putting him to sleep for the eleventh time with Butterfree.

Funny how I remember that after all these years.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've never managed to encounter Mewtwo in my first run of Pokémon Blue, as I didn't know anything about it at all. When I restarted my game, I a cousin told me that it exists, and explained what I needed to do in order to get to it. When I did, though, I had a pretty hard time catching it, as I didn't have my Master Ball; wasted it on some other legendary, but I wish I hadn't. To finally have it captured, I reset the game about fifteen - twenty times. For me, it was very frustrating. ^^"

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I killed him in my first ever play through of Yellow! I always saw him as like... an end-game boss kind of thing rather than a Pokémon I could catch (I did the same with the legendary birds assuming that if I killed them all something good would happen haha) but in all games after that I made sure to catch him. I never actually trained one because I don't really like using legendary Pokémon due to their over-poweredness in a standard game, but I make sure to catch him for Pokédex/bragging purposes because I'm something of a completionist!

Years
I pretty much knew from the beginning that Mewtwo was there, as I had eight badges and I still couldn't get through, thinking that it wasn't enough.
In the end, Mewtwo was a bit disappointing, because I expected it to be far stronger than it already was (My Jolteon was actually FAR better, given that it has a lower level in comparison with Mewtwo).

I'd say Mewtwo wasn't easy and hard at the same time, the only bad thing about it, is how frustrating catching it is.

inb4 that's a REALLY GOOD Mewtwo sprite. ;)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I didn't think back then. I just threw the master ball and KABOOM I got Mewtwo. I don't remember what else I did though. I vaguely remember using it in one of my attempts at the E4 without the attempt at grinding it, that's all. Pretty sure I released it after that failed attempt. haha.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
Whos that pokémon? Hooooooooooly Jesus I need this pokémon. (that was my reaction)
Go master ball! YEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaa!
I showed him to my friend and he was like: wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?
And I was like : Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaa!
And then I put him into pc storage. And never used him again. :D

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I've played Red Version so many times I don't remember the first. I always saved my Master Ball for it. I hacked like all hell though so by the time I got to him I had about a full Pokédex and a full team of 100's.

Always just Rare Candied it to 100, taught it Thunderbolt and Ice Beam as Charizard had Flamethrower.

Mewtwo
EV: All MAX
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Just finished Yellow a few years ago, when I started the game I was 9 and I remember wondering what was in there.

About 13 years later I caught all the legendary birds with pokeballs and used the Master Ball on Mewtwo. But since I'm done with the game I never really used him for anything.

I remember the maze to get to him though, I didn't have any escape ropes so I had to backtrack out of the cave...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I had already seen Mewtwo on TCG cards and in the anime long before I met it in Pokémon Yellow, so I was a bit surprised to see that it was even included in the game, post-game sort of, and I think I had already used my Master Ball on Moltres or Articuno so I had to fight really hard to get it to sleep and not faint it until I managed to capture it with Ultra Ball. Not completely sure that's really feasible, haha, but I'm pretty sure that the first time I encountered it in Yellow I didn't have my Master Ball.

Years
Mewtwo is the granddaddy champion of Generation I and was a Pokemon completely in its own tier. It effectively had 154 SpA and SpD and with Amnesia raising "both" stats, one boost and it's nigh on unkillable. Not to mention Psychic type was OP back then as well.

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
I caught Mewtwo easily in Yellow. After Articuno froze it, the thing was powerless to stop me throwing balls until I caught it.

I'd already used my Master Ball on something else.... I think that same Articuno?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
My very first encounter with Mewtwo was pretty epic as well. I was a 5-year-old kid, and of course Mewtwo was like this Uber-god in my mind that could easily defeat any Pokemon out there. I dont remember what party i had at that time, but i remember that as soon as i saw he was LV70 and after he easily knocked out 3 of my Pokemon w/ Psychic, i went ahead and threw the Master Ball at him.
In recent playthroughs of FR/LG i go in more prepared and normally manage to catch it with a Hyper Ball

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I thought it looked rather frightening and didn't really want anything to do with it. Forgot if I captured it.

Years
Fighting him was hard; I had to redo the fight several times because he either destroyed all my Pokemon or just refused to be caught.

Pretty epic final battle for the game though, I'll admit. :) It was one of the most goosebumps-inducing fights in all of Pokemon as a kid. Kept it around on my team just out of awesomeness since I was so proud of myself for obtaining it.

Back