• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pokémon" YOU'VE Seen IRL!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Have you ever encountered the real-world inspiration behind a Pokémon, or at least something that reminded you greatly of one? Please share your stories and/or photos with us! (Your photos must not exceed 500 pixels wide or tall (whichever is smaller) to be included in this list.)

Also, feel free to share photos you've taken of things that you feel could/should get Pokémon based on them in the future.

bulbasaur.png
ivysaur.png

BULBASAUR & IVYSAUR
Spoiler:

squirtle.png

SQUIRTLE
Spoiler:

caterpie.png

CATERPIE
Spoiler:

butterfree.png

BUTTERFREE
Spoiler:

weedle.png

WEEDLE
Spoiler:

kakuna.png

KAKUNA
Spoiler:

beedrill.png

BEEDRILL (SHINY)
Spoiler:

pidgey.png

PIDGEY
Spoiler:

rattata.png

RATTATA
Spoiler:

ekans.png

EKANS
Spoiler:

pichu.png
pikachu.png

PICHU & PIKACHU
Spoiler:

paras.png
parasect.png

PARAS & PARASECT
Spoiler:

venonat.png

VENONAT
Spoiler:

venomoth.png

VENOMOTH
Spoiler:

meowth.png
persian.png

MEOWTH & PERSIAN
Spoiler:

arcanine.png

ARCANINE (SHINY)
Spoiler:

poliwag.png
poliwhirl.png

POLIWAG & POLIWHIRL
Spoiler:

abra.png

ABRA
Spoiler:

onix.png

ONIX (SHINY)
Spoiler:

lickitung.png

LICKITUNG
Spoiler:

koffing.png

KOFFING
Spoiler:

tangela.png

TANGELA
Spoiler:

scyther.png

SCYTHER
Spoiler:

pinsir.png

PINSIR
Spoiler:

ditto.png

DITTO (SHINY)
Spoiler:

PAr1njS.png
omanyte.png

OMANYTE (HELIX FOSSIL)
Spoiler:

meganium.png

MEGANIUM
Spoiler:

spinarak.png

SPINARAK
Spoiler:

ariados.png

ARIADOS
Spoiler:

togepi.png

TOGEPI
Spoiler:

hoppip.png
skiploom.png
jumpluff.png

HOPPIP, SKIPLOOM, & JUMPLUFF
Spoiler:

yanma.png

YANMA (SHINY)
Spoiler:

wooper.png

WOOPER (SHINY)
Spoiler:

umbreon.png

UMBREON
Spoiler:

murkrow.png

MURKROW
Spoiler:

pineco.png

PINECO
Spoiler:

forretress.png

FORRETRESS
Spoiler:

dunsparce.png

DUNSPARCE
Spoiler:

gligar-f.png

GLIGAR
Spoiler:

shuckle.png

SHUCKLE
Spoiler:

heracross-mega.png

HERACROSS (MEGA)
Spoiler:

beautifly-f.png

BEAUTIFLY
Spoiler:

dustox-f.png

DUSTOX
Spoiler:

seedot.png
nuzleaf.png

SEEDOT & NUZLEAF
Spoiler:

surskit.png

SURSKIT
Spoiler:

masquerain.png

MASQUERAIN
Spoiler:

nincada.png
ninjask.png
shedinja.png

NINCADA, NINJASK, & SHEDINJA
Spoiler:

volbeat.png

VOLBEAT
Spoiler:

budew.png
roselia.png

BUDEW & ROSELIA
Spoiler:

trapinch.png

TRAPINCH
Spoiler:

vibrava.png

VIBRAVA
Spoiler:

flygon.png

FLYGON
Spoiler:

swablu.png

SWABLU
Spoiler:

corphish.png
crawdaunt.png

CORPHISH & CRAWDAUNT
Spoiler:

FxOqQc2.png
lileep.png

LILEEP (ROOT FOSSIL)
Spoiler:

starly-f.png

STARLY
Spoiler:

kricketot.png
kricketune.png

KRICKETOT & KRICKETUNE
Spoiler:

burmy-plant.png
wormadam.png
mothim.png

BURMY, WORMADAM, & MOTHIM
Spoiler:

combee.png

COMBEE
Spoiler:

yanmega.png

YANMEGA
Spoiler:

leafeon.png
glaceon.png

LEAFEON & GLACEON
Spoiler:

snivy.png
servine.png

SNIVY & SERVINE
Spoiler:

purrloin.png

PURRLOIN
Spoiler:

pidove.png
tranquill.png

PIDOVE & TRANQUILL
Spoiler:

tympole.png
palpitoad.png
seismitoad.png

TYMPOLE, PALPITOAD, & SEISMITOAD
Spoiler:

sewaddle.png

SEWADDLE
Spoiler:

whirlipede.png

WHIRLIPEDE
Spoiler:

lilligant.png

LILLIGANT
Spoiler:

minccino.png

MINCCINO
Spoiler:

vanillite.png
vanillish.png
vanilluxe.png

VANILLITE, VANILLISH, & VANILLUXE
Spoiler:

deerling.png

DEERLING
Spoiler:

karrablast.png

KARRABLAST
Spoiler:

joltik.png

JOLTIK
Spoiler:

ferroseed.png

FERROSEED
Spoiler:

ferrothorn.png

FERROTHORN
Spoiler:

shelmet.png

SHELMET
Spoiler:

mandibuzz.png

MANDIBUZZ
Spoiler:

volcarona.png

VOLCARONA (SHINY)
Spoiler:

fletchling.png
fletchinder.png
talonflame.png

FLETCHLING, FLETCHINDER, & TALONFLAME
Spoiler:

noibat.png

NOIBAT
Spoiler:

roz2cLw.png

ZYGARDE CELL
Spoiler:

litten.png
torracat.png

LITTEN & TORRACAT
Spoiler:

pikipek.png

PIKIPEK
Spoiler:

cutiefly.png
ribombee.png

CUTIEFLY & RIBOMBEE
Spoiler:

rockruff.png

ROCKRUFF
Spoiler:

morelull.png

MORELULL
Spoiler:

salandit.png

SALANDIT
Spoiler:

wimpod.png

WIMPOD
Spoiler:

buzzwole.png

BUZZWOLE
Spoiler:

819.png

SKWOVET
Spoiler:

824.png
825.png
826.png

BLIPBUG, DOTTLER, & ORBEETLE
Spoiler:

833.png
834.png

CHEWTLE & DREDNAW
Spoiler:

850.png
851.png

SIZZLIPEDE & CENTISKORCH
Spoiler:

836.png

BOLTUND
Spoiler:

837.png

ROLYCOLY
Spoiler:

870.png

FALINKS
Spoiler:

873.png

FROSMOTH
Spoiler:

Also, just for fun, what would your Pokémon team look like based on things you've encountered IRL?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Quite the list! Seems well researched too.

Focusing just on those based on animals? Some of the inanimate ones might be rather straightforward, but then there's stuff like me seeing the bell Bronzong is based on in a museum years back, which was pretty neat.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Added Scolipede.

Scolipede is believed to be based on the Scolopendra genus of centipedes, such as the Amazonian Giant Centipede. However, given the absence of this genus in New York and Scolipede's presence in Unova (a region based on New York), Scolipede could be interpreted as a general representation of Scolopendromorphs (bark centipedes, which includes Scolopendra). It may also represent centipedes as a whole.

Scolipede's Japanese name, Pendror, is also believed to come from Scolopendra. However, this spelling is closer to Scolopendromorph, further supporting that Scolipede may be a general representation of bark centipedes.

Quite the list! Seems well researched too.

Focusing just on those based on animals? Some of the inanimate ones might be rather straightforward, but then there's stuff like me seeing the bell Bronzong is based on in a museum years back, which was pretty neat.

I've also got some plants up there. I'm only focusing on things I've found in the wild, so I probably won't be adding any Pokémon based on man-made objects like Chimecho. However, come snowy weather I might take some pictures of snow-capped icicles for the Vanillite line.

How cool!

this is really cool
I'm glad you enjoy it!

Have you seen any "Pokémon" IRL?

Last edited:
Years
I assume I haven't seen any exciting ones other than obvious connections like Pidove/pigeon, but your thread makes me wonder just how many I may have missed. Dustox's inspiration is especially pretty, I had no idea its basis is such a beautiful-looking bug!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Found Whirlipede, too!

c5CJZG4.jpg

Despite its classification as a Centipede Pokémon, Whirlipede draws more inspiration from millipedes which, unlike centipedes, curl up when resting or if threatened.

I assume I haven't seen any exciting ones other than obvious connections like Pidove/pigeon, but your thread makes me wonder just how many I may have missed. Dustox's inspiration is especially pretty, I had no idea its basis is such a beautiful-looking bug!

I hope this thread encourages more people to get out and make some discoveries!

I'm still disappointed that they didn't give Dustox those beautiful tails, despite its counterpart having them. My guess is that they wanted its wings to be more crescent-shaped, nodding to the "moon" in Moon Moth. It's a real shame that it didn't get a Mega in ORAS, which could've included the tails.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I was going to come in here and joke that I've seen a Kadabra (my cat) but man this is actually really amazing that you actually take your time to research and do all of this! Impressive!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I was going to come in here and joke that I've seen a Kadabra (my cat) but man this is actually really amazing that you actually take your time to research and do all of this! Impressive!

Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, which cat (or cat-like) Pokémon does your cat remind you of the most? Mine's a grey longhair with tabby markings on his face (faint elsewhere), but I can't quite pin one down for him. I'm hoping that Meowth's rumored "spiky ball of grey fur" alt. evo for Sword/Shield will be a close match.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Gotta really commend you for your effort here, Icy! If I conjure up any Pokémon comparable to irl animals I'll be sure to contribute! :)

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
Superb, Icy! The Volcarona, Dustox, Starly and Flygon ones were excellent! Whirlipede, too! You really put a lot of time and effort into this, it seems. Thanks for sharing this.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Since I seem to be running out of IRL Pokémon to share, would you guys be interested in me sharing photos of things I think should be made into Pokémon? I could post maybe one per week to help keep the thread alive until the release of Sword & Shield. Off the top of my head, I can only think of six or so more current Pokémon whose real life counterparts I should be able to find around here.

Gotta really commend you for your effort here, Icy! If I conjure up any Pokémon comparable to irl animals I'll be sure to contribute! :)
Thanks, and please do!

Superb, Icy! The Volcarona, Dustox, Starly and Flygon ones were excellent! Whirlipede, too! You really put a lot of time and effort into this, it seems. Thanks for sharing this.
Glad you enjoyed them! Flygon's one of my favorite entries here too. :D

Last edited:

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Wow these are all so cool and well researched! So much diversity as well. One of us needs to find a hedgehog soon so Shaymin can get added to the list.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
You could always add the ancient Coelacanth to represent Relicanth! In fact, most, if not all marine Pokemon have a basis in irl animals. Octillery, Mantine, Gorebyss, Remoraid, Alomomola.. the list goes on and on.

Sandslash and Pangolins are very similar as well! :)

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Added a better representation for Corphish/Crawdaunt, a red crayfish!

Wow these are all so cool and well researched! So much diversity as well. One of us needs to find a hedgehog soon so Shaymin can get added to the list.

That would be sweet! One I won't likely be getting since there are sadly no native hedgehogs in the US.

You could always add the ancient Coelacanth to represent Relicanth! In fact, most, if not all marine Pokemon have a basis in irl animals. Octillery, Mantine, Gorebyss, Remoraid, Alomomola.. the list goes on and on.

Sandslash and Pangolins are very similar as well! :)

I'm only adding things I've personally seen in the wild IRL. However, if you've seen these any of these (even in an aquarium, zoo, etc.) and have pics, please share!

How I wish we had pangolins here! Sandshrew and Sandslash were among my very first Pokémon toys, so it'd be really cool if I could find those IRL.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Added Lileep! I actually found this one a few years ago, but I was reluctant to add it since the fossil was missing the iconic crown (head). However, given that Mewtwo was created from a fossilized eyebrow and Aerodactyl from a preserved blood sample, I imagine that even just the stalk of a crinoid could be revived as Lileep.

Crinoids, aka sea lilies, are plant-like relatives of starfish.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Legendary Pokémon spotted! Well, the cells of a Legendary Pokémon. :P

TR57CUI.jpg

Zygarde cells seem to be based on planarians, flatworms known for their amazing regenerative abilities.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Spinarak?

AOpwBMS.jpg

Though popularly believed to be based on the Hawaiian happy-face spider, Spinarak could be based on any number of spiders with face-like markings on their abdomen. This may include some jumping spiders, such as the bold jumper above, which share a similar body shape with Spinarak. Jumping spiders don't make webs like Spinarak, suggesting that Spinarak may draw inspiration from multiple spiders, but they still spin silk threads to help them get around.

I also added another contender for Ariados, a spotted orb-weaver.

It seems nobody brought Poliwag up.

Also the tentacool family.

I've definitely seen "Poliwag." I've been meaning to get a pic of one's belly.

I've only seen one jelly in my whole life. It was washed up on the beach when we went on vacation YEARS ago. I wasn't a big fan of the beach so I haven't been to one since...

Last edited:
Back